The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Music Discussion Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

The more she releases the more I fall in love, this is sooooo good

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

That's who I want to see live more than anyone else right now
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector

Post by hector »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 pm Apologies, as a 'Ballboy' I haven't waded through the preceding 1444 pages of this thread, but thought it would be interesting to hear peoples first, best, worst and last concerts. So anyway here's mine:

First - The Skids (Lincoln Drill Hall) 1979

Best - very difficult choice this one, but I'd have to go for The Pogues (Brixton Academy) 1990

Worst - it's got to be Texas, who were support to Simple Minds (at the old Cardiff Arms Park) in 1989 - they were utter garbage. Running them close however, are The Style Council, who played some CND concert at Brockwell Park, Brixton in 1992/93 (that we only went to, because as impoverished students it was a free bus to London for the day)

Last - tribute bands I know can be great, crap or anywhere inbetween, but a few months ago a few months ago we went to see a Led Zep tribute band called Whole Lotta Led at a small local venue called the Globe (Cardiff) and they were fantastic - 2 sets, played a selection of Zep classics (with the odd left field song thrown in amongst) and then IV in full (in track order) for the second part. Well worth £16.50 for >2.5 hrs. If they are on in a club/pub near you I'd recommend them !
!st Knebworth 1979 Chas and Dave, Commander Cody, Tod Rungren and Utopia, New Barbarians, Led Zeppelin

best: Slade I think
Worst: Alvin Stardust (70's weekend Butlins)
Best Surprise: Swinging blue jeans, Desmond Dekker, (Showaddywaddy were also there) but I was back stage security so had to see them.......

Tributes: I saw Whole lotta led about 12 years ago, they were fantastic then too... Also Fred Zeppelin, and Think Floyd all were good...
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

hector wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 am !st Knebworth 1979 Chas and Dave, Commander Cody, Tod Rungren and Utopia, New Barbarians, Led Zeppelin

Best Surprise: Swinging blue jeans, Desmond Dekker, (Showaddywaddy were also there) but I was back stage security so had to see them.......

Tributes: I saw Whole lotta led about 12 years ago, they were fantastic then too... Also Fred Zeppelin, and Think Floyd all were good...

Other half was there, close enough to see the clip on Pages guitar apparently. Had to wear their crash helmets due to tin can bombardment...
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

First - Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, Bradford around 86/87 - saw him again recently on his solo acoustic tour, still love his music.

Best - I'm going to cheat and have more than one - Nick Cave back end of last year is fresh in my mind and there were just no low points, the whole location / experience added to it - a performer truly at the top of his game. Second one is a festival gig - James Yorkston at Greenman 2011, made me understand what going to festivals is all about, the feel good factor around the stage was almost tangible, he was up against someone pretty big on the main stage which meant it was a die hard bunch of fans, truly engaging.

Worst - Going to cross over to most disappointing here, Paul Weller at the RAH a couple of years back for one of the TCT gigs, his amp blew up as he strummed his first chord and seemed like he didn't want to be there after that. Evening was not wasted though as Johnny Marr was on first and did a load of Smiths covers mingled in with his own stuff and was superb.

Last - Bottomless Coffee Band, saw them on holiday recently - link in post above.

Next - No dedicated band gig tickets but we are going to Greenman festival again in August.

p.s. On the 'best' front I've just remebered James at Thetford Forest a few years back, hadn't seen them for a while but they played a great set including my favourite track "Johnny Yen" which doesn't tend to get much of an airing, so a real treat. Tim Booth is a great performer.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:32 pm Apologies, as a 'Ballboy' I haven't waded through the preceding 1444 pages of this thread, but thought it would be interesting to hear peoples first, best, worst and last concerts. So anyway here's mine:

First - The Skids (Lincoln Drill Hall) 1979

Best - very difficult choice this one, but I'd have to go for The Pogues (Brixton Academy) 1990

Worst - it's got to be Texas, who were support to Simple Minds (at the old Cardiff Arms Park) in 1989 - they were utter garbage. Running them close however, are The Style Council, who played some CND concert at Brockwell Park, Brixton in 1992/93 (that we only went to, because as impoverished students it was a free bus to London for the day)

Last - tribute bands I know can be great, crap or anywhere inbetween, but a few months ago a few months ago we went to see a Led Zep tribute band called Whole Lotta Led at a small local venue called the Globe (Cardiff) and they were fantastic - 2 sets, played a selection of Zep classics (with the odd left field song thrown in amongst) and then IV in full (in track order) for the second part. Well worth £16.50 for >2.5 hrs. If they are on in a club/pub near you I'd recommend them !
I saw the Pogues at Reading Festival in 1989, if there was a category for "maddest" that would certainly be up near the top of the list!
gessa

Post by gessa »

hector wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:43 am !st Knebworth 1979 Chas and Dave, Commander Cody, Tod Rungren and Utopia, New Barbarians, Led Zeppelin

I was at Knebworth too, did the first weekend, which was supposed to be the better of the 2 shows, support acts weren't great.

Slade Reading Festival when they stepped in last minute to replace Ozzy, as got to be one of if not the best festival performances ever, mind Rory Gallagher on the Friday was up there, great weekend that was.

Fred Zeppelin are very very good.
gessa

Post by gessa »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 am First - Lloyd Cole and the Commotions, Bradford around 86/87 - saw him again recently on his solo acoustic tour, still love his music.

Best - I'm going to cheat and have more than one - Nick Cave back end of last year is fresh in my mind and there were just no low points, the whole location / experience added to it - a performer truly at the top of his game. Second one is a festival gig - James Yorkston at Greenman 2011, made me understand what going to festivals is all about, the feel good factor around the stage was almost tangible, he was up against someone pretty big on the main stage which meant it was a die hard bunch of fans, truly engaging.

Worst - Going to cross over to most disappointing here, Paul Weller at the RAH a couple of years back for one of the TCT gigs, his amp blew up as he strummed his first chord and seemed like he didn't want to be there after that. Evening was not wasted though as Johnny Marr was on first and did a load of Smiths covers mingled in with his own stuff and was superb.

Last - Bottomless Coffee Band, saw them on holiday recently - link in post above.

Next - No dedicated band gig tickets but we are going to Greenman festival again in August.

p.s. On the 'best' front I've just remebered James at Thetford Forest a few years back, hadn't seen them for a while but they played a great set including my favourite track "Johnny Yen" which doesn't tend to get much of an airing, so a real treat. Tim Booth is a great performer.
Must have seen James a dozen times now and they never disappoint.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:37 am I was at Knebworth too, did the first weekend, which was supposed to be the better of the 2 shows, support acts weren't great.

Slade did Reading Festival when they stepped in last minute to replace Ozzy, has got to be one of if not the best festival performances ever, mind Rory Gallagher on the Friday was up there, great weekend that was.

Fred Zeppelin are very very good.
Slade were one of great live bands in their day :tup:
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 am Must have seen James a dozen times now and they never disappoint.
Saw them a fair few times in the early days - once tripped over to Blackpool where they played at the Empress Ballroom IIRC, Tim Booth is a great front man.
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 pm The more she releases the more I fall in love, this is sooooo good

:tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Liking these at the moment.

Elliot Smith, Barr Brothers and Beirut feel to them.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Really like this one
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Enjoy Dead South mate :tup:
They were very good mate, 8.5/10, they lost points for too long a break between songs, stifled the atmosphere somewhat.

The venue, 3/10, would have to be someone I desperately wanted to see before I'd go there again
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:23 pm They were very good mate, 8.5/10, they lost points for too long a break between songs, stifled the atmosphere somewhat.

The venue, 3/10, would have to be someone I desperately wanted to see before I'd go there again
full line up ? I heard the Cello player took a sabbatical and the banjo player was replaced for a while by a bluegrass legend (she'd have been female) last year
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:21 pm full line up ? I heard the Cello player took a sabbatical and the banjo player was replaced for a while by a bluegrass legend (she'd have been female) last year
Eliza Mary Doyle is now the Banjo player in the band, the former one quit through illness, the cello player was there, in fact on our way home this morning we were saying how beautifully he played it.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

That's the lass
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 pm First Steve Gibbons Band - Birmingham Odean 1977

Best Extremely difficult, so will go for most enjoyable - King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - Manchester Ritz 2016

Worst The Who - Birmingham NEC 1981.

Last Mark Lanegan Band - Dec 2017 Wolverhampton Wulfrun Hall.

Next The Dead South This Saturday -The Soundhouse Leicester
KG&LW confirmed as back on at Greenman this year :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

NorfolkWhite wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:00 am KG&LW confirmed as back on at Greenman this year :tup:
Yes saw that mate, enjoy. :tup: