The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Muppet the Cat

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Velvets/Lou Reed albums ?

Post by Muppet the Cat »

gessa wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:18 pm Wife's family are from The Rhonda, abysmal.

Wales has so many lovely places but a lot also needs some money spending on it, I can understand why the locals get so frustrated with the government. Been to Snowdon today, understandable there but even big towns struggle with the internet service.
The area I cover at work includes the Rhondda - which village/town (Fach or Fawr).

Believe or not parts of the South Wales valleys got/get (although not for much longer) a level of EU funding that put them on an econmic par with the poorest parts of Europe - Bulgaria/Romania etc...!!
gessa

Post by gessa »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:13 pm The area I cover at work includes the Rhondda - which village/town (Fach or Fawr).

Believe or not parts of the South Wales valleys got/get (although not for much longer) a level of EU funding that put them on an econmic par with the poorest parts of Europe - Bulgaria/Romania etc...!!
Blaenrhondda and I can't remember the name of the one her grandad was from. Remember we had to drive over the Rhigos.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

gessa wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:22 pm Blaenrhondda and I can't remember the name of the one her grandad was from. Remember we had to drive over the Rhigos.
You're not wrong Blaenrhondda is right at the top/head of the Rhondda Fawr.

Whilst many of these former mining communities are in huge need of economic investment (in terms of jobs, modern housing, access to 21st century ICT) the people who live there are (in the main) real stars.

Some fantastic landscape/views as you go over the Rhigos - and if you like a wind turbine there's now plenty of them up there !!
gessa

Post by gessa »

Another growing on me.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Another growing on me.
The album 'Lotta Sea Lice' with Kurt Vile was in my nominations for Album of the Year 2017 poll
1964white

Post by 1964white »

This may not go down well as the Fab 4 are not so appreciated by some on here.

The most influential band/songwriters ever !

Playlist & my Top 10 Beatles albums which may surprise a few :o

Revolver
Rubber Soul
A Hard Day's Night
Sgt Peppers
Please Please Me
Magical Mystery Tour
Let It Be
Abbey Road
White Album
Help

Other Beatles albums played over the last week

With The Beatles
Beatles For Sale
Yellow Submarine
Muppet the Cat

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Beatles albums ?

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Confess to not being the biggest Beatles fan 64...……….but of the albums I do have I'd say my favourite is Abbey Road.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Not a big Beatles fan now, but loved their singles when I was a kid. Only two albums I have are Revolver and Sgt Peppers - Can't split them really, but they only come up on shuffle these days.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:50 am The album 'Lotta Sea Lice' with Kurt Vile was in my nominations for Album of the Year 2017 poll

My brother in law kept on to me to give her a listen, I finally got round to it when this album came out, will check the back catalogue asap. Must have played your nomination but have no memory of it.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:31 pm Confess to not being the biggest Beatles fan 64...……….but of the albums I do have I'd say my favourite is Abbey Road.
The Beatles & the Stones were the first bands that got me into music back in 1963 and were the catalyst of pop/rock music to follow throughout the 60's. Lennon & McCartney's influence in music over the last six decades has been nothing short of phenomenal
As a kid just like Revie's Leeds the Fab 4 played a major part of my adolescent years although my parents hated the new wave of British pop music, just a noise in their opinion

Abbey Road is a great album but I do prefer their earlier albums probably because of my early memories that drew me to music.

How they could produce an album of such quality as the underrated 'A Hard Day's Night' which was their 3rd studio album in 1964 is beyond comprehension. Have a listen to 'Revolver' an album that is way ahead of time & is considered their best with the majority of Beatles fanatics
gessa

Post by gessa »

Always liked the Stones, but was never a fan of The Beatles, yet strangely I do like a lot of their songs that have been covered, don't mind Lennon's solo stuff, I think it's McCartney that I don't like, couldn't take to his stuff have the Beatles either.
hector

Post by hector »

Beatles for sale was the first album of theirs that I heard, as my parents had it....

I pirated the blue and red albums from a mate with a cassette to cassette recorder whilst at school..

And can't ignore Sgt Peppers as I like most of the songs on there...
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:48 pm I pirated the blue and red albums from a mate with a cassette to cassette recorder whilst at school.
The innovator of downloading :)

You were ahead of your time Hector
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Listening to a band formed by Paul Rodgers/Simon Kirke, not in the same league as Free imo but all the same warrant a place in 64's hall of fame

Bad Company

My favourites are their first two albums in this order

Straight Shooter
Bad Co

The only other album on my playlist was a double compilation I picked up for a quid

The 'Original' Bad Co. Anthology

Never bothered with the rest of their back-catalogue

Chart stats

Bad Co had five Top 20 albums with Bad Co & Straight Shooter reaching the top three in the UK & their debut made the No.1 spot in the States
'Good lovin Gone Bad', Can't Get Enough' & Feel Like Makin' Love were Bad Co's only Top 30 hits in the UK
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Bad Company albums ?

Post by becchio bear »

Ah Bad Company :love:

I've only got the one album, Straight Shooter, which gets a 10/10 rating from me. An album that I love every track, an absolute classic in my book. I once had some songs played for me on the radio, think it was Radio One and a slot called the Six Five Special if anyone can remember it. One of my songs was Deal with a Preacher from this album :) I've got a few singles on vinyl by them which I picked up from Donny market many years ago. Paul Rodgers has a sublime, instantly recognisable voice. Great band. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:04 am Ah Bad Company :love:

I've only got the one album, Straight Shooter, which gets a 10/10 rating from me. An album that I love every track, an absolute classic in my book. I once had some songs played for me on the radio, think it was Radio One and a slot called the Six Five Special if anyone can remember it. One of my songs was Deal with a Preacher from this album :) I've got a few singles on vinyl by them which I picked up from Donny market many years ago. Paul Rodgers has a sublime, instantly recognisable voice. Great band. :bear:
Without doubt Bad Co's best album young lady :tup: you're right Rodgers had a sublime, distinctive voice. Don't remember that Six Five Special slot !
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

The Bad Company anthology is one of the best "Best of" type albums. It has the added bonus of all the tracks being remastered. I only had Straight Shooter on vinyl, and when I was replacing all my vinyl on CD, I decided on the anthology, and I'm glad I did.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:29 am The Bad Company anthology is one of the best "Best of" type albums. It has the added bonus of all the tracks being remastered. I only had Straight Shooter on vinyl, and when I was replacing all my vinyl on CD, I decided on the anthology, and I'm glad I did.
Aye that's the compilation I have, covers all the good stuff from their first six albums
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Whilst being an absolute fan of the 70's I must confess Bad Company are one of those bands that really passed me by. The only offering of theirs that I have is in effect the Best Of collection......'10 from 6' album, which I don't really listen to unless it comes around on shuffle.

On a Paul Rodgers related theme though I seem to recall, when a kid growing up in the 70's that All Right Now by Free was re=released more times than any other single (other than the Shangri-Las, Leader of the Pack).

On the 'Bad' theme my itunes library also throws up Bad Manners (great !!), Bad Livers, Bad English and Bad Diel & Skinner, with The Lightning Seeds :moggy:
gessa

Post by gessa »

I have the fiirst 5 on vinyl, Bad Co and Straight Shooter being my favourites but rarely play them now, never got to see Free but saw Bad Co twice.