The Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Togehter way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Music Discussion Thread

Postby gessa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Back from a weekend at the Acoustic Festival Of Britain, great weekend as usual even though the quality of the acts wasn't as good this year. Old proggers Wishbone Ash, with only Martin Turner , left from the original line up gave a good show, so did late 80's band The Christians, Howard Jones put on a decent show, a little too relaxed at times but like the jazzier edge he put on a couple of tracks. Biggest disappointment were Fairport Convention so so boring, I suppose you have to be a fan.

Best 2 finds of the weekend for me were;
Verdisa, they played a mix of Blues, Reggae, funk and Soul and it worked, they play well as a band, a feeling of true togetherness,helps a live show if the band look like they enjoy what they do, the vocalist is very good, hints of Jamiroquai and Sting.
Mo Kenney a Canadian singer songwriter, nice voice and great songs, only thing I could fault was I felt a few more upbeat songs would help, even though she did admit she has only ever wrote one happy song, and titled it as so, she did a very good cover of Bowie;s Five Miles

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:49 pm

oooops forgot Gaz Brookfield, have seen him before(supporting The Levelers) a singer songwriter in the mould of Frank Turner, pit on a good show too.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Postby 1964white » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:06 pm

gessa wrote:Back from a weekend at the Acoustic Festival Of Britain, great weekend as usual even though the quality of the acts wasn't as good this year.Old proggers Wishbone Ash, with only Martin Turner , left from the original line up gave a good show, so did late 80's band The Christians, Howard Jones put on a decent show, a little too relaxed at times but like the jazzier edge he put on a couple of tracks. Biggest disappointment were Fairport Convention so so boring, I suppose you have to be a fan.

Best 2 finds of the weekend for me were;
Verdisa, they played a mix of Blues, Reggae, funk and Soul and it worked, they play well as a band, a feeling of true togetherness,helps a live show if the band look like they enjoy what they do, the vocalist is very good, hints of Jamiroquai and Sting.
Mo Kenney a Canadian singer songwriter, nice voice and great songs, only thing I could fault was I felt a few more upbeat songs would help, even though she did admit she has only ever wrote one happy song, and titled it as so, she did a very good cover of Bowie;s Five Miles

One my all-time favourite bands

Did Martin Turner use two lead guitarists in the style of Andy Powell/Ted Turner like Wishbone of old ?

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:14 pm

1964white wrote:One my all-time favourite bands

Did Martin Turner use two lead guitarists in the style of Andy Powell/Ted Turner like Wishbone of old ?

2 Electro Acoustic leads, with Turner on bass, even though he plays it like it was a lead guitar.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:08 am

gessa wrote:

No one likey???

1964white

Postby 1964white » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 am

gessa wrote:No one likey???

Let you know later mate

1964white

Postby 1964white » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:13 pm

1964white wrote:Let you know later mate

'You need to let go' is a jolly little number :tup:

'I faked it' is really nice :tup:

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:08 pm

1964white wrote:'You need to let go' is a jolly little number :tup:

'I faked it' is really nice :tup:

You Need To let Go really got the crowd dancing, even I had my heel off the floor with a raised knee.

I Faked It is nice, I've downloaded both her albums not had time to play them yet but there 1 and 2 on tomorrows playlist.

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Gandalf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:56 am

gessa wrote:Old proggers Wishbone Ash, with only Martin Turner , left from the original line up gave a good show

Just to clarify, Martin Turner's band is not allowed to call itself Wishbone Ash, after a court case won in favour of Andy Powell, who has kept the Wishbone Ash band running since its formation. I saw the Powell Ash at Holmfirth two years ago and they were excellent. Ironically, Powell is the only original member in that band as well. Ted Turner is a big loss, although he occasionally guests with Martin's band. Such a shame that they can't make up their differences.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

1964white

Postby 1964white » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:03 am

Gandalf wrote:Just to clarify, Martin Turner's band is not allowed to call itself Wishbone Ash, after a court case won in favour of Andy Powell, who has kept the Wishbone Ash band running since its formation. I saw the Powell Ash at Holmfirth two years ago and they were excellent. Ironically, Powell is the only original member in that band as well. Ted Turner is a big loss, although he occasionally guests with Martin's band. Such a shame that they can't make up their differences.

Very much so Gandi

We need to get at least one of their first three albums in the Prem/Champs/L1/L2 Album poll 8-)

Even Hector may enjoy Wishbone Ash :shock: :wink:

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Postby Gandalf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:12 am

1964white wrote:Very much so Gandi

We need to get at least one of their first three albums in the Prem/Champs/L1/L2 Album poll 8-)

Even Hector may enjoy Wishbone Ash :shock: :wink:

Indeed. I'll stick the debut album in when one of mine inevitably gets relegated from the league. :) Gonna stick it on now, for old times sake.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

1964white

Postby 1964white » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:45 am

Gandalf wrote:Indeed. I'll stick the debut album in when one of mine inevitably gets relegated from the league. :) Gonna stick it on now, for old times sake.

Their debut is my favourite

Wishbone Ash
Pilgrimage
Argus

In that order for me

I've even got Mrs 64 into Wishbone.....Argus on the car playlist for our long holiday journey coming up soon

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Gandalf wrote:Just to clarify, Martin Turner's band is not allowed to call itself Wishbone Ash, after a court case won in favour of Andy Powell, who has kept the Wishbone Ash band running since its formation. I saw the Powell Ash at Holmfirth two years ago and they were excellent. Ironically, Powell is the only original member in that band as well. Ted Turner is a big loss, although he occasionally guests with Martin's band. Such a shame that they can't make up their differences.

Yeah, they went by the name Martin Turner plays Wishbone Ash(or something similar), he didn't mention the other 2 guitarists but did say a piece about Steve Upton who is now living in France but when he comes home they meet up for a meal out, Upton would love to get back on the sticks but isn't allowed through doctors orders, dodgy ticker.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Postby faaip » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:25 am

Quick one for Gess and 64, if you like a music quiz then All the way from Memphis is worth a search on BBC iplayer radio
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Lonergan, Ayling, Beradi, Janssen, Shaughnessy, Klich, Vierra, Gianni, Saiz, Hernandez, Ekuban

Roofe - Anita - Lassoga - Cooper - Weidwald - Dallas - Phillips

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 am

faaip wrote:Quick one for Gess and 64, if you like a music quiz then All the way from Memphis is worth a search on BBC iplayer radio

:tup:

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:40 am

Off to see the great man tonight in Manchester.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:31 pm

Last nights setlist

Anthrocene
Jesus Alone
Magneto
Higgs Boson Blues
From Her to Eternity
Tupelo
Jubilee Street
The Ship Song
Into My Arms
Girl in Amber
I Need You
Red Right Hand
The Mercy Seat
Distant Sky
Skeleton Tree

Encore:
The Weeping Song
Stagger Lee
Push the Sky Away

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Postby lufc1304 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Incredibly jealous, Ges, Cave is very definitely on my 'must see' list. That looks a great set list, how was the gig?
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

NorfolkWhite
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NorfolkWhite » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:21 pm

gessa wrote:

Off to see the great man tonight in Manchester.

Nice one, just planning a couple of appointments in my diary and saw my trip looming (if that's the right word) - can't wait.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Postby gessa » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:40 pm

lufc1304 wrote:Incredibly jealous, Ges, Cave is very definitely on my 'must see' list. That looks a great set list, how was the gig?

That was last nights in Bournemouth Nick, I'm off to Manchester tonight, should be the same playlist, has taken 2 songs off the european tour setlist. :cry:

Return to “General Chat”