The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Anna Calvi or British Sea Power albums

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The Music Discussion Thread - Your favourite Pink Floyd albums ?

Post by faaip » Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Actually that's not true ....of course I'd wish that on my worse enemy. Still rotten luck

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon May 14, 2018 5:52 pm

faaip wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:41 pm
I think Pulse takes a lot of beating now ...
Their live set mate

Pulse has the distinction of reaching the No.1 spot in every country that produces charts, nine out of ten apart from France.

Muppet the Cat
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Muppet the Cat » Mon May 14, 2018 6:00 pm

1964white wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:52 pm
Their live set mate

Pulse has the distinction of reaching the No.1 spot in every country that produces charts, nine out of ten apart from France.
Spookily, I only just picked a CD copy of this, in mint condition for a £1 at a car boot yesterday morning

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 pm

hector wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:45 pm
I am in the process of downloading them all again...

My 1tb external hard drive that I use for backup, was knocked off the table by my dog, and now does not want to play... My whole music collection, and all my hypnotherapy scripts, audio recordings, adn background music, my photo's from the last 10 years, and Tv programs and films... all gone.

before it packed up completely I was lucky enough to rescue my accounts and books for my business.

I like all the early Floyd, but Division bell gets the most play time in my house.... (at the moment).
That's very unfortunate Hector, I suspect you were barking mad :dog:

I don't have that problem as I rarely download, in fact I can't recall the last song/album I downloaded. All albums physically sitting there in alphabetical order on the shelves or in various cupboards (would have to be or I would never find anything), much of my collection is uploaded on my iPod's although I've got out of the habit of uploading every new purchase these days. I still love the fun of searching albums from various sources, picked up four cracking albums for £8 a few weeks ago

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon May 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Muppet the Cat wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:00 pm
Spookily, I only just picked a CD copy of this, in mint condition for a £1 at a car boot yesterday morning
A bargain cat :tup: cheapest you can buy it on Amazon is a tenner

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 pm

Sorrow from Pulse played through a proper hi fi is just downright dirty .....Marantz SACD system through Floor standing Mission speakers ...Next door has to go out

John in Louisiana
First Team
First Team

Post by John in Louisiana » Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 pm

Animals has always been my favorite. Gilmour's playing is monstrously good.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 pm

faaip wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 pm
Sorrow from Pulse played through a proper hi fi is just downright dirty .....Marantz SACD system through Floor standing Mission speakers ...Next door has to go out
We had a new patio laid by our builder/friend Rob last week. He had his iPod on, I told him to turn it up, he replied "you are the only client to ask me to turn the music up, normally I'm asked to turn the volume down". Rob loves his new music so I played him the Dead South song 'In Hell I'll Be In Good Company' well it freaked him out so much so he said "I must go buy that album" Next morning he turns up looking gloomy as he couldn't find the album on iTunes.
Anyway next day he parks up his van in our driveway windows down with Dead South blasting out, he jumps out of his van with a gleeful look on his face equipped with his music blaster, then the four of us ended up doing the dance on our lawn inspired by Jill, thankfully our neighbours couldn't see our frolicking at eight 'o' clock in the morning :shock:
He played the album all day long

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon May 14, 2018 8:01 pm

John in Louisiana wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 pm
Animals has always been my favorite. Gilmour's playing is monstrously good.
One of the eight Floyd albums I played today John

Gilmour's guitar is superb as you say :tup:

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Mon May 14, 2018 9:09 pm

1964white wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:58 pm
We had a new patio laid by our builder/friend Rob last week. He had his iPod on, I told him to turn it up, he replied "you are the only client to ask me to turn the music up, normally I'm asked to turn the volume down". Rob loves his new music so I played him the Dead South song 'In Hell I'll Be In Good Company' well it freaked him out so much so he said "I must go buy that album" Next morning he turns up looking gloomy as he couldn't find the album on iTunes.
Anyway next day he parks up his van in our driveway windows down with Dead South blasting out, he jumps out of his van with a gleeful look on his face equipped with his music blaster, then the four of us ended up doing the dance on our lawn inspired by Jill, thankfully our neighbours couldn't see our frolicking at eight 'o' clock in the morning :shock:
He played the album all day long
Good to hear, happy to have bought them to the forum. hit him with some Larkin Poe tomorrow,

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Rob has finished the work but I'll pass your recommendation on as he lives in our village

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Mon May 14, 2018 9:20 pm

I'd struggle between Meddle, WYWH, and Division Bell. Strangely, the ones I'm playing the most at the moment are the two David Gilmour live sets, Gdansk and Pompeii. All the old Floyd standards, plus his solo stuff. Gdansk has the final live appearance of Richard Wright before his death, which makes it doubly immense.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon May 14, 2018 9:30 pm

Gandalf wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:20 pm
I'd struggle between Meddle, WYWH, and Division Bell. Strangely, the ones I'm playing the most at the moment are the two David Gilmour live sets, Gdansk and Pompeii. All the old Floyd standards, plus his solo stuff. Gdansk has the final live appearance of Richard Wright before his death, which makes it doubly immense.
'Meddle' another firm favourite :tup:

NorfolkWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by NorfolkWhite » Tue May 15, 2018 8:05 am

faaip wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 pm
Always been a bit of a hi-fi nut myself, one of my darkest days when I lost my entire LP collection when we had a flood in our house whilst on holiday a few years back - distraught when I sold my Clearaudio TT :verysad: Managed to replace just about everything with CD now but couldn't face trying to source all that vinyl again. Currently on Lector CDP / DAC, Unison Research Amp and Leema speakers, very analogue sound.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 pm

So before I head onto the next band on today's playlist

Cat, Faaip, Gandi, Hector, John & myself are the true Floyd fans on here ?

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Tue May 15, 2018 1:53 pm

God this is a voice and a half isn't it? Add to that some great song writing....Introducing Barns Courtney

Born in England, Seattle raised til 14 then back to Blighty

NorfolkWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by NorfolkWhite » Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm

1964white wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Must confess to not being a PF aficionado but if you're widening it out to Roger Waters - Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is one of my faves (and another one for a decent hifi).

1964white

Post by 1964white » Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm

NorfolkWhite wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm
Must confess to not being a PF aficionado but if you're widening it out to Roger Waters - Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking is one of my faves (and another one for a decent hifi).
I much prefer 'Amused To Death' Norfolk

Muppet the Cat
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Muppet the Cat » Tue May 15, 2018 7:02 pm

1964white wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 pm

First song that popped up on my iPod 'shuffle all songs' this morning was 'Lord of This World' from Sabbath's Master of Reality album - fantastic and well worthy of 5 stars

On the lines of your 5 best Floyd albums, with Sabbath it's probably a far easier choice needing less thought............basically the first 5 (although I do like the Dio era, Heaven and Hell), albeit I struggle between which one to put 1st - MoR or Paranoid.

I recall going to see the Heaven and Hell date in Queen's Hall, would have been '80, maybe 81...............but had never seen them with Ozzy, until last Feb, when I saw the last date of The End, in Birmingham, which was brilliant :moggy:

hector

Post by hector » Tue May 15, 2018 7:44 pm

1964white wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm
I much prefer 'Amused To Death' Norfolk
that is my fav Waters album too Mr 64
:tup: “Always ensure it is an original HECTOR post and not a cheap immitation” :wink: