Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
scuudz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Supporting Leeds

Post by scuudz »

Haha I remember him scoring.....but that's NOT what I like to remember the most.

Anyone know who scored for Leeds in the 1992 game? Or where I can get that information?

Edit: Added the word 'NOT' so the post actually makes sense. :-D
Last edited by scuudz on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

I started supporting Leeds in late 1968 because I was a huge fan of Terry Cooper and decided to support the team he played for ! Not the strongest of reasons but it was good enough for me . Later as the 69/70 season reached its tragic conclusion I found myself completely and achingly obsessed by them . Their fortunes in many ways seemed to mirror my own or so I thought . And then there was Billy Bremner whose passionate committment and loyalty were values that felt so important to me then and remained with me ever since . I didn't see them play until 1977 I think it was at Upton Park when a goal from Ray Hankin separated the sides . They've been my team for over 40 years . Not long ago my boss who is from Leeds referred to me as an honoury Yorkshireman because of my allegiance . There's no finer accolade than that .
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Some great stories, keep em' coming

I was born in Headingley which is the rugby part of Leeds, went to my first rugby game at the tender age 7yo when Lewis Jones was playing
My family moved to Armley 1963 where the kids were much more LU orientated. Went to my first game in the 1963/64 (Twiggs take note) when we played Grimsby Town at ER, stood in the massive terracing spion kop with Bremner scoring for us in a 3-1 win.
We always walked from Armley, the excitement grew as we approached the long stretch of the Lowfields Road towards the ground. We would be at the ground by 1pm & in a queue waiting in anticipation for the turnstiles to open at 1.30pm so we could stampede to our favourite spot in the kop, always finding a concrete slab to stand on as we were only little un's leaning against the crush barriers of course. We decided to brave the Scratching Shed in 1965 as we got fed up of getting soaked in the open kop, the atmosphere in the SS was always a bit rough & tumble but as kids we didn't care as we enjoyed the skills of Bremner, Giles, Collins, Charlton, Hunter, Reaney, Bell, Weston, Peacock, Johannson, Storrie, Sprake.

I remember most of the games that have been mentioned. Was living in the Bournemouth & Eastbourne when we played the infamous Cherries & the Seagulls games, attended both, scary but memorable :!:

Did alot of 600 mile round trips during the 80/90's including the Grimsby drawn game that the good DR mentioned i think.

My favourite games at ER has to be when we put 7 past Chelsea & Southampton, thumped in 5 v the Scum including a Mick Jones hat-trick & my all-time favourite when we beat Spurs coming back 1-0 down to win 2-1 in a pulsating FA Cup match
CSA
First Team
First Team

Post by CSA »

As a child of the sixties and one who was around in the 'glory days' i have seen many highs (and lows) over 5 decades but have to admit for sheer emotion and relief the Bristol Rovers game will take some beating, from the nervous expectancy pre kick off, the low of Gradels sending off, Bristol taking the lead and feeling like so much Shyte, to the atmosphere and noise after Howsons equaliser then the outporing of joyous relief at the final whistle, no amount of money can replace that feeling.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

CSA wrote:As a child of the sixties and one who was around in the 'glory days' i have seen many highs (and lows) over 5 decades but have to admit for sheer emotion and relief the Bristol Rovers game will take some beating, from the nervous expectancy pre kick off, the low of Gradels sending off, Bristol taking the lead and feeling like so much Shyte, to the atmosphere and noise after Howsons equaliser then the outporing of joyous relief at the final whistle, no amount of money can replace that feeling.
So you only started supporting Leeds at the last game of last season? :lol: Which was the original poster's question, I believe?

Just joking mate! That game against Bristol was a great moment in my Leeds supporting experiences as well - tho Bournemouth (and even more so the Revie years), rank higher.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

I started supporting Leeds in the late 70s (after the glory years).

At that point I only followed the game in South Africa but my best mate at school got me interested in English football. His mum from from Leeds so he supported Leeds and I followed suit.

I follow Sydney FC in the local Australian A-League

I used to follow Cape Town City in South Africa when I was growing up but they went bust and out of existence.

My other teams have been Nottingham Forest, Ipswich, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers and Chelsea - all at different times.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Sniffer72
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Sniffer72 »

CSA wrote:As a child of the sixties and one who was around in the 'glory days' i have seen many highs (and lows) over 5 decades but have to admit for sheer emotion and relief the Bristol Rovers game will take some beating, from the nervous expectancy pre kick off, the low of Gradels sending off, Bristol taking the lead and feeling like so much Shyte, to the atmosphere and noise after Howsons equaliser then the outporing of joyous relief at the final whistle, no amount of money can replace that feeling.
I know it seems stupid that a 3rd Div game vs Bristol could be the greatest Leeds experience of someone supporting Leeds for 40 years.....but I am struggling to remember anything as emotional. Many of our best experiences ended up as nearly moments e.g. Paris. Getting promoted under Wilko and even winning Div 1, didn't have the same amazing rollercoaster that was the Bristol game. In fact the roller coaster started at Old Trafford. The final day was like a film script. And when it finished the outpouring of emotion from grown men was immense. Tingles just thinking about it.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:I started supporting Leeds in the late 70s (after the glory years).

At that point I only followed the game in South Africa but my best mate at school got me interested in English football. His mum from from Leeds so he supported Leeds and I followed suit.

I follow Sydney FC in the local Australian A-League

I used to follow Cape Town City in South Africa when I was growing up but they went bust and out of existence.

My other teams have been Nottingham Forest, Ipswich, Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers and Chelsea - all at different times.
You are obviously kidding us with that last line Harry :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Sniffer72 wrote: I know it seems stupid that a 3rd Div game vs Bristol could be the greatest Leeds experience of someone supporting Leeds for 40 years.....but I am struggling to remember anything as emotional. Many of our best experiences ended up as nearly moments e.g. Paris. Getting promoted under Wilko and even winning Div 1, didn't have the same amazing rollercoaster that was the Bristol game. In fact the roller coaster started at Old Trafford. The final day was like a film script. And when it finished the outpouring of emotion from grown men was immense. Tingles just thinking about it.
Have to agree with you on the outpouring of emotion at the end of the Bristol Rovers game

I was in tears & felt a little embarrassed until i turned around & witnessed many other grown men around me were experiencing the same emotion, i just hugged my dear DR friend who stands directly behind me in N10, tears of joy eh :!:
yorkshiremackem
First Team
First Team

Post by yorkshiremackem »

my 1st game was at elland road for a reserve game against sunderland years ago(dunno how many). dad was driving and did not have a clue where he was going as he was staying "look for the flood lights". anyway we got there for about 7:30 and were chuffed that we would not miss the game. by the time we got in(never payed) it was half time as it was a 7 kick off and my dad did not know. it ended 1-1 with both goals coming in the 2nd half with dyln kerr?? scoring for leeds with a free kick or pen.
1st game was about 4 hours driving for 45 mins of football,. worth it :-D
abundegas
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by abundegas »

Great topic, and interesting replies.

Me... born in Leeds in 1971, so became conscious of football around 1977 (bad timing w.r.t. Leeds' fortunes) and then family moved south. So, childhood spent surrounded by fans of London teams (and Liverpool), checking newspaper results, collecting stickers (Currie and Harris were favourites) and occasional Match of the Day. Only ever got to go to away games. First was vs Aston Villa in 1979 I think (a 0-0 draw, and from what I remember a young Lukic saved a penalty and the referee had to be substituted). In mid-80's, trips to Brighton (Leeds score and "We are Leeds" erupts from the Home stand we, and hundreds of other Leeds fans are 'hiding' in, and then at full-time the end of season pitch celebration / invasion) and Portsmouth (3-2 win after being 0-2 down at half time). Can anyone add to my vague memories of these matches?

First went to ER about 11 years ago when on 'romantic break' for my wife's birthday. Managed to fit in a league game, and UEFA cup against Lok Moscow (me and rather bemused wife in middle of North Stand). These days still a long way away (Dorset) but am nuturing my foster son's interest in Leeds, which involves a trip a month. (His first game was a very disappointing draw away to Walsall a couple of years back, but improved with 4-1 away to Bristol Rovers, and 2-2 Spurs last season). Next up on day Radebe is there - v. excited by that.

Look forward to reading more stories from others...
Big Luke
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Big Luke »

I support Leeds for simple reasons really. Both sides of my family supported them, and they're my local team. Inevitable under those circumstances.

Been a white since I was 8, so that's 12 years ago now. First match was Bradford City Home 1999, Smith scored as well as Harte scoring a late penalty.
"Forward towards Beckford, and the ball's over Brown. And this is Beckford. It just ran away from him but they're still going to strike it on goal, and SCORE in the Stretford End for Leeds United, and it doesn't get any better than that!"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm hoping to become a supporter, again, when I retire in about 10 years.....first time? I'm really not sure..I was at the League Cup final in 68, but with the Arsenal fans I would assume, I remember a lot of red and white and none of the football, FA cup in 70? I was inconsolable for days apparently getting into fights at school with the local Chelsea Brigade, season ticket holder at Aldershot throughout the 70's (Murray Brodie ruled btw). 77-89, all the London games, Portsmouth and Southampton too, I'd get up to Elland Road maybe 6 or 7 times a season....got married, heavy mortgage, high maintenance (time wise) wife....stopped my single life dead in it's tracks....I even had to learn to drive and stop riding the motorcycles...that might be what hurt the most....what was the question again?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Big Luke wrote:I support Leeds for simple reasons really. Both sides of my family supported them, and they're my local team. Inevitable under those circumstances.

Been a white since I was 8, so that's 12 years ago now. First match was Bradford City Home 1999, Smith scored as well as Harte scoring a late penalty.
Welcome to MOT Luke :thup:
ArmleyWhite

Post by ArmleyWhite »

I'm not telling!!
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

scuudz wrote:Haha I remember him scoring.....but that's what I like to remember the most.

Anyone know who scored for Leeds in the 1992 game? Or where I can get that information?
Leeds goals by McAllister and Chapman. 1-1 at half time.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

abundegas wrote:Great topic, and interesting replies.

Me... born in Leeds in 1971, so became conscious of football around 1977 (bad timing w.r.t. Leeds' fortunes) and then family moved south. So, childhood spent surrounded by fans of London teams (and Liverpool), checking newspaper results, collecting stickers (Currie and Harris were favourites) and occasional Match of the Day. Only ever got to go to away games. First was vs Aston Villa in 1979 I think (a 0-0 draw, and from what I remember a young Lukic saved a penalty and the referee had to be substituted). In mid-80's, trips to Brighton (Leeds score and "We are Leeds" erupts from the Home stand we, and hundreds of other Leeds fans are 'hiding' in, and then at full-time the end of season pitch celebration / invasion) and Portsmouth (3-2 win after being 0-2 down at half time). Can anyone add to my vague memories of these matches?

First went to ER about 11 years ago when on 'romantic break' for my wife's birthday. Managed to fit in a league game, and UEFA cup against Lok Moscow (me and rather bemused wife in middle of North Stand). These days still a long way away (Dorset) but am nuturing my foster son's interest in Leeds, which involves a trip a month. (His first game was a very disappointing draw away to Walsall a couple of years back, but improved with 4-1 away to Bristol Rovers, and 2-2 Spurs last season). Next up on day Radebe is there - v. excited by that.

Look forward to reading more stories from others...

Welcome to MOT abundegas :)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Guildford White wrote: Leeds goals by McAllister and Chapman. 1-1 at half time.
Chapman always seem to score in the first 30 minutes :)
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

1964white wrote: Chapman always seem to score in the first 30 minutes :)
Not on that occasion though, he scored in the second half.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Cant say who i supported before i supported leeds, my dad had me brainwashed!! :twisted: but i saw the light when I was 9 so about 98, dont no what attracted me to leeds but its been love ever since :love: :luv:
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..