Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Supporting Leeds

Post by The Subhuman »

Durly wrote:My memory is very sketchy but, as I remember it, I was about 4 years old and we lived in Barnstaple, North Devon. My parents and three siblings had moved down there from Derbyshire (which is where my parents are from) before I was born, in about 1960. We had family staying and The Big Match was on (I think). Telly was black and white, so the only "colour" that stood out as anything other than a differing shade of grey, was white. Everyone got talking about football and someone (could have been my uncle or grandad, or possibly my older brother.....they were all Derby County fans, although only my uncle was really that serious about it......I seem to recall my brother had a brief dalliance with the Summerbee, Bell, Lee Man City team) said "I can't stand Leeds. Dirty team". I asked "are they the team that play in all white?" The answer came back in the affirmative and I said something like "I've seen them play on the telly a few times and they look brilliant". Not long afterwards we got ourselves a colour telly and the first game I remember watching on it was the 1972 Cup Final. I remember watching it and willing Leeds to go on and beat Arsenal. I was thrilled to bits after the game and still remember vividly being in huge admiration of Mick Jones as he gingerly ascended the steps to the royal box, wincing in pain at the dislocated elbow he received in the dying seconds of the game. From that moment on, I was a Leeds fan. Even though I was only 4 and a half, I followed our results and lapped up any chance I got to see us on the TV.
My Mother maintains that the following year I was inconsolable after Sunderland did us in the Cup Final. She claims I cried but I don't think I did. No disgrace but, much as I love football, there are other, more serious things to shed tears over.
Peter Lorimer was my hero, my idol, my footballing God. A colossus with the hardest shot in football. All I wanted back then was to be able to strike the ball as hard as him.

I never actually got to see us play in the flesh until 1977 or 78 (I should remember the exact year but I don't). All my older siblings had left home and flown the nest and I was left an "only child" with Mum and Dad. My Father had suffered from ill health and lost his gardening job at the Saunton Sands Hotel, so we upped sticks and moved to Cambridgeshire. One of the lads at the local school was an Ipswich fan and his birthday treat with a handful of friends (including myself) was a trip to Portman Road to see Ipswich entertain the mighty Leeds. The whole game was a blur. I could hardly believe it was real. Leeds won 1-0. I seem to recall Trevor Cherry got the winner but I wouldn't swear to it.
For my birthday that year I received the full, white Admiral home kit - shirts, shorts and socks, in itchy material with the little, yellow Admiral badges down the sleeves. I remember wearing it at play times (the school had a no uniform policy) and screaming "HANKIN" at the top of my voice every time I took a shot.

The job my Dad had been promised never materialised and, after a couple of years, we moved back to Devon, where my Mum and most of my family still live now. My Dad passed away a few years ago, sadly.
I managed a few trips to see Leeds in the 80's once I was earning money from a weekend job whilst at 6th form college but I only really started to go with any frequency once I moved out and headed to London to go to university.

My Mum still talks to me about football on the phone and about how Leeds and Derby are both faring. She's having a lot more to smile about than me this season. She says every year "is there any chance that Derby and Leeds could both go up this season?" Not something you'd hear from your typical DCFC fan, as they seem to have some weird, unreciprocated hatred of us.

Great post Durly and what I get from that ...more than anything else is ..you're approaching 50
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

[/quote]Great post Durly and what I get from that ...more than anything else is ..you're approaching 50[/quote]

:( Yes mate. 47 later this year. 19 in my head though. I'm still half hoping I'm not too late to get the call to bring my boots to ER one Saturday.......
MikeLufc6
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @michaelwiseman6

Post by MikeLufc6 »

I started when I was like 7. I was playing fifa 03 and I wanted a team that was yellow as I knew little about football at 7 and my dad said I should play as his second team who are Leeds United who have a yellow away kit and I played as leeds loved em and ever since then I have been a leeds united supporter!
Only live once..Enjoy it do what YOU want!!!
Ros88
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @joeyros88

Post by Ros88 »

It started in 2000, i was 12 years old, when i saw Leeds playing in Champions League and watching the BPL highlights here in Holland. Now im looking for an option to go over ER something. Maybe next season, but depends on my income.

I hope you can understand my crappy English.
LeedsAndDC
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LeedsAndDC »

It's been a long time since I have posted here - so for those of you that don't know me, I'm one of those guys that is from and lives across the pond. However, as the wayback machine goes (think early 70's), I was about eight years old and living in Knarsborough. Dad was in the military at that point and was stationed in Yorkshire. We lived in a small community right next to Manse Lane (Knarsborough Town). Having made friends with a couple of the local English kids, I found myself knocking the ball around on the pitch from time to time. One of my best pals at the time was a Leeds Fan so we talked about Leeds quite often as you might have guessed. We only lived in that community for a year and just prior to leaving, he gave me what he called a foot charm. It was a small white pennant with the leeds logo that one tied just below the knee. I'm quite a bit older now, but I still miss that place, those days, and the lads the introduced me to the game and Leeds United.
Next time I'm back I want a pint at the Queen's Head
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Great to see you back posting here, Steve! :tup: Please don't be a stranger and remember VLR! :wink:

P.S. I'm guessing what you call a "foot charm" is what we called "sock tags"? Like these?

Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Hey Steve! :tup:
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Woodywhite
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Woodywhite »

About 1983 for me, I would have been 7 - My Dad and Grandad took me to ER - I think it was Birmingham and we got beat 3-1, I still have the ticket somewhere. As a Leeds lad, I was never going to be allowed to follow anybody else. Same goes for my boys now - Eldest (9) went to his first game against Hartlepool shortly after told me he wanted to support Man City - He was told in no uncertain terms that he wasn't allowed to and thankfully he is now Leeds through and through.... It is difficult for him though, seeing all of his 'favourite' players getting sold year in year out, I don't actually think he knows who to have has his favourite :?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Woodywhite wrote:About 1983 for me, I would have been 7 - My Dad and Grandad took me to ER - I think it was Birmingham and we got beat 3-1, I still have the ticket somewhere. As a Leeds lad, I was never going to be allowed to follow anybody else. Same goes for my boys now - Eldest (9) went to his first game against Hartlepool shortly after told me he wanted to support Man City - He was told in no uncertain terms that he wasn't allowed to and thankfully he is now Leeds through and through.... It is difficult for him though, seeing all of his 'favourite' players getting sold year in year out, I don't actually think he knows who to have has his favourite :?
I'm sure your son will find even bigger favourites once all the incoming signings have settled in at ER. Even a big kid such as myself after seeing only two games can envisage one or two of the newbies becoming firm favourites of mine in time

Exciting times Woody :tup:
Woodywhite
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Woodywhite »

Exciting times indeed 1964, excellent game yesterday and I thought we more than deserved out win

He is already excited about Billy Sharp and I think he might have already found his favourite :lol:
leedsmad
First Team
First Team

Post by leedsmad »

Woodywhite wrote:About 1983 for me, I would have been 7 - My Dad and Grandad took me to ER - I think it was Birmingham and we got beat 3-1, I still have the ticket somewhere. As a Leeds lad, I was never going to be allowed to follow anybody else. Same goes for my boys now - Eldest (9) went to his first game against Hartlepool shortly after told me he wanted to support Man City - He was told in no uncertain terms that he wasn't allowed to and thankfully he is now Leeds through and through.... It is difficult for him though, seeing all of his 'favourite' players getting sold year in year out, I don't actually think he knows who to have has his favourite :?
Great story Woody
Billy Wizz
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Billy Wizz »

Cripes-imagine your first game being v the likes of Hartlepool.Usually its Scum or Liverpool!
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Supporting Leeds

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Billy Wizz wrote:Cripes-imagine your first game being v the likes of Hartlepool.Usually its Scum or Liverpool!
Away at Grimsby in my case...
Billy Wizz
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Billy Wizz »

Dr.Leeds wrote:
Away at Grimsby in my case...
Was that in 1982? First game.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Supporting Leeds

Post by Martyn »

Away at Huddersfield. 1 September 1962. 1-1, John Charles's final goal for Leeds
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

away at Ipswich, 1-0...Eddie
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Dons Legends
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dons Legends »

Is mostly torture. :shock:
When the ball hits the goal, it's not Shearer or Cole, it's ...... Antenucci.
Osprey
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Osprey »

I've only just joined the forum but I've supported Leeds since October 7, 1967. On that day we beat Chelsea 7-0. :-D
since 7 October 1967
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

jeez ..older than me. Welcome
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Supporting Leeds

Post by Martyn »

Osprey wrote:I've only just joined the forum but I've supported Leeds since October 7, 1967. On that day we beat Chelsea 7-0. :-D
I was there. First time in the history of league football that seven different players scored for one team in a game.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.