Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
LUFCkent
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Supporting Leeds

Post by LUFCkent »

Started following Leeds in '72 before Cup Final. A new lad at my school converted me from Chelsea I think.
Dad took me to Cup Final and followed Leeds ever since despite living in Bedfordshire then in Kent from '77.
Must admit to going to Gillingham (local side) games, including P/Off win at Wembley in 2000.
Not until -15 season did I really start supporting properly and actually going to ER. Felt I couldn't be accused of being a Glory Hunter!
Over the past few years I've gone to more and more games home & away. Joining Kent Whites has been brilliant and being at OT for the cup game and ER for Bristol Rovers were 2 amazing days.
Can remember waiting for MOTD to see if Leeds were on and my dad telling me they were only on if they had lost (He's a Luton Town fan - so has a strange sense of humour!!).
Can't wait for my first game this season at home to Sheff Utd.
Big Luke
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Big Luke »

1964white wrote: Welcome to MOT Luke :thup:
Cheers mate! :mrgreen:
"Forward towards Beckford, and the ball's over Brown. And this is Beckford. It just ran away from him but they're still going to strike it on goal, and SCORE in the Stretford End for Leeds United, and it doesn't get any better than that!"
scuudz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by scuudz »

Guildford White wrote: Leeds goals by McAllister and Chapman. 1-1 at half time.

THANKS!!!
PaulUSA
First Team
First Team

Post by PaulUSA »

abundegas wrote:Great topic, and interesting replies.

Me... born in Leeds in 1971, so became conscious of football around 1977 (bad timing w.r.t. Leeds' fortunes) and then family moved south. So, childhood spent surrounded by fans of London teams (and Liverpool), checking newspaper results, collecting stickers (Currie and Harris were favourites) and occasional Match of the Day. Only ever got to go to away games. First was vs Aston Villa in 1979 I think (a 0-0 draw, and from what I remember a young Lukic saved a penalty and the referee had to be substituted). In mid-80's, trips to Brighton (Leeds score and "We are Leeds" erupts from the Home stand we, and hundreds of other Leeds fans are 'hiding' in, and then at full-time the end of season pitch celebration / invasion) and Portsmouth (3-2 win after being 0-2 down at half time). Can anyone add to my vague memories of these matches?

First went to ER about 11 years ago when on 'romantic break' for my wife's birthday. Managed to fit in a league game, and UEFA cup against Lok Moscow (me and rather bemused wife in middle of North Stand). These days still a long way away (Dorset) but am nuturing my foster son's interest in Leeds, which involves a trip a month. (His first game was a very disappointing draw away to Walsall a couple of years back, but improved with 4-1 away to Bristol Rovers, and 2-2 Spurs last season). Next up on day Radebe is there - v. excited by that.

Look forward to reading more stories from others...
Abundegas -- Welcome to the MOT Forum!

I hate to say it, but I keep misreading your forum name as 'abundant gas'. On the off chance you're experiencing any gas build-up issues, you should know we have a resident Dr. Leeds (a/k/a Dr. Bum or Little Leeds) who may be able to offer guidance and support. (Feel free to ignore this paragraph as it's probably just another case of me overstepping the bounds of proper decorum. :oops: :) )
Helplessly hoping
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

First started supporting them in 1989 aged, I was living in stanningley at the time and all my freinds followed Leeds. Moved to Lancashire aged 7 and didmt get to see them until my first game aged 13 when Leeds played Blackburn at Ewood Park. Mark Hately was on loan and I think the team included; Martyn, Kelly, Rush, Andy Gray, Ian Harte who scored the winner, if someone could post the full team sheet it would make me very happy it was september 1996. Anyway after that i went to all the games at Ewood and then left Lancs to join up. It took me 9 years aged 26 to gop to my first game at Elland Road which was last year against Hartlepools and since then i aint missed many home games
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
leedsunited4eva
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by leedsunited4eva »

I started to follow Leeds in the late 90s as a kid I was torn up between Leeds and Liverpool (because my uncle supports them) but with me living in Leeds most of my life I then realised Leeds was my life. I guess ive always been a Leeds fan I just never realised it :lol: I always say Liverpool will always be my second team but i will never love a club more than I love Leeds United :-D
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

joelufc20 wrote:First started supporting them in 1989 aged, I was living in stanningley at the time and all my freinds followed Leeds. Moved to Lancashire aged 7 and didmt get to see them until my first game aged 13 when Leeds played Blackburn at Ewood Park. Mark Hately was on loan and I think the team included; Martyn, Kelly, Rush, Andy Gray, Ian Harte who scored the winner, if someone could post the full team sheet it would make me very happy it was september 1996. Anyway after that i went to all the games at Ewood and then left Lancs to join up. It took me 9 years aged 26 to gop to my first game at Elland Road which was last year against Hartlepools and since then i aint missed many home games

All the details here here Joe.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

scuudz wrote:
THANKS!!!

A few details here
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Elland Road, when I first started going! :-D

(posted on Leodis.net)

Edit: that's way before I started going...just noticed the floodlights were not built yet, on that pic. The lights were first used in 1953..the year I was born!

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Elland Road the year I was born, with additional interestin' comments

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Martyn »

faaip wrote:Elland Road the year I was born, with additional interestin' comments

The year you were born is the year I saw my first Leeds game!
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

faaip wrote:Elland Road the year I was born, with additional interestin' comments

The "wasteland" next to the W.Stand carpark, was the training ground! :-D
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Twiggster wrote: The "wasteland" next to the W.Stand carpark, was the training ground! :-D
Leeds United Juniors (3rd team) played their home matches on it, would often watch some of the game before the main menu, free of charge of course.
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Guildford White wrote:
All the details here here Joe.

thats quality thanks mate
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Twiggster wrote:Elland Road, when I first started going! :-D

FYP Twiggs :mrgreen:
wakey^white
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wakey^white »

Last edited by wakey^white on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wakey^white
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by wakey^white »

in my day you could'nt beat walking down beeston hill with the huge diamond floodlights illuminating all around...the old lowfields terrace and roof.
1986 my first game....to me those floodlights are iconic.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Elland road dogs was a great night out faaip - did I ever see you there?

Personally I would support a flea in a flea race if it came from Leeds. I would consider it a privilege to support a Leeds whippet in a race and believe anything [other than criminals] from Leeds to be worthy of nothing less than my full support. It's not hard for me - if it's from Leeds I support it whatever it is. I feel even more strongly about Yorkshire. A county which is ingrained in my blood - my tombstone will read 'white.riot Yorkshireman'. Although I left Leeds with the job I have managed to move back within a mile and a half of the old Yorkshire boundary [I hate the Tories for many many things but Heath's decimation of Yorkshire via his boundary review and Thatcher's decimation of mining which put bread on my grandparents tables are top of my list]. I will never forgive the new nicey nicey coalition. I have found peace on the Yorks/Lancs border and cycle in [original] Yorkshire most Sunday's. This is liberating beyond belief. Seeing the white rose when crossing the M62 always makes me puff my chest out. A family not 2 miles from my front door has an original West Riding sign in their front garden. I envy that family and their location just over the border. I hate being out of Yorkshire and dream of moving back to spend my final years within the boundary.

LUFC was easy - I was born in Hunslet, lived in Belle Isle for 20 odd years, my owd fella was a fan and eulogised about our greatest ever player - I never saw John Charles but if my owd fella said he was better than Giles/Bremner etc then he was because my owd fella knew about these things. I have a shocking memory and because I'm a grumpy owd bloke I remember the bad stuff more than the good. First game for me was in 64 - I was privileged to watch Revie's sides. And the most amazing thing I have ever seen was Real Zaragoza in the Fairs Cup. Guys about 5" tall came out, pinged the ball about at breakneck pace and were 3 up inside 15 minutes or so. Jack couldn't even find his black book let alone write in it. Norman was nowhere near biting anyone's leg and our midfield was non existent. The most amazing show of football I can remember and for a young lad life changing. We did eventually get a grip but the damage was done. Revie went on to produce the template for European success which the scousers eventually made their own.

RIP Don Revie - his statue is long overdue and it's time we reclaimed the great man's memory. The media and other fans have had it their own way for far too long. Revie is as good a manager as there has ever been, turning nobody's into a dynasty feared throughout Europe.
Big Luke
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Big Luke »

Twiggster wrote:Elland Road, when I first started going! :-D

wakey^white wrote:we've actually had a few dinosaurs play for us in recent years
Is that Paul Dickov on the left? :mrgreen:
"Forward towards Beckford, and the ball's over Brown. And this is Beckford. It just ran away from him but they're still going to strike it on goal, and SCORE in the Stretford End for Leeds United, and it doesn't get any better than that!"
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Big Luke wrote: Is that Paul Dickov on the left? :mrgreen:
No. He is right in the foreground, towards the right of the picture.