Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
LovelyLeeds
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: Supporting Leeds

Post by LovelyLeeds »

faaip wrote: GYBR was the last great or even good album...

imo
Yes I agree. I persevered with Rock of the Westies and Blue Moves, but not a patch on GYBR and prior.
Definitely youtube Friends. 8-)
Last edited by YorkshireSquare on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
Jake_Jera
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @Jake_Jera

Post by Jake_Jera »

Started supporting Leeds from about 96/97 ish.

I think I was watching Leeds play Aston Villa in the League Cup final (maybe?) and it clicked, I'm from Leeds, I live in Leeds so that's who I'm going to support! Although as my mum and her family are from Lancaster and are all Man U fans they did try and turn me but as it goes I ended up converting my mum to white, yellow and blue...
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Jake_Jera wrote:Started supporting Leeds from about 96/97 ish.

I think I was watching Leeds play Aston Villa in the League Cup final (maybe?) and it clicked, I'm from Leeds, I live in Leeds so that's who I'm going to support! Although as my mum and her family are from Lancaster and are all Scum fans they did try and turn me but as it goes I ended up converting my mum to white, yellow and blue...
Nice one Jake and welcome to the forum
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

Supporting Leeds

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Jake_Jera wrote:Started supporting Leeds from about 96/97 ish.

I think I was watching Leeds play Aston Villa in the League Cup final (maybe?) and it clicked, I'm from Leeds, I live in Leeds so that's who I'm going to support! Although as my mum and her family are from Lancaster and are all Scum fans they did try and turn me but as it goes I ended up converting my mum to white, yellow and blue...
It shows the right sort of personality disorder that you could become a Leeds supporter after watching that debacle Jake.

Welcome.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Madman is good, Tumbleweed was better, still think Brown Dirt is the master work though..I'm not familiar with Friends. heard of it but not got it... GYBR was the last great or even good album...

imo
Didn't realise you are an early Elton fan Faaip :tup:
Stout LUFC
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Stout LUFC »

I'm almost 30 and I didn't start supporting Leeds until maybe 4 years ago.

The wife and her family all hail from West Yorkshire and are massive fans, so it just became something natural for me even though I'm from a town near Middlesborough.

I've never looked back since.
Bennyfishel
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Bennyfishel »

When I was 7 years old my Uncle took me to Elland Road to see Leeds v Sunderland and he sat me on the concrete wall on the Eastern side,during the warm up before the match started one of the practice balls came just under where I was sitting and Willis Edwards came to collect it and asked me if I wanted to play for Leeds when I grew up,I was thrilled to bits with this and when I told my pals at school about it they would not believe me........THAT WAS IN 1937...I have lived in Australia now for 46 years and we get very little English soccer news in our newspapers,but I keep in touch on my PC. Australian Rules Football is my passion now and I'm afraid I think it is far more exciting to watch than other games (including soccer.)..But Leeds are still my team.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Hi Benny - bloody 'ell - someone older than me on here??? :shock: Fascinating story mate. :tup: WELCOME to MOT!!! :tup:
I envy you and living in Australia. I console myself that though it is cold here, we don't have killer spiders and snakes, crocs or great white sharks in Northern Europe! :-D
Nor do we have aussie rules football, thank fook! :clap: :shirt: :shock:
The important thing is that you still support LUFC! :tup:
You can listen to live audio commentary on line here from all our games. We sometimes have live video feeds too. Hope you will stick around mate. ON ON ON!
Bennyfishel
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Bennyfishel »

Twiggster wrote:Hi Benny - bloody 'ell - someone older than me on here??? :shock: Fascinating story mate. :tup: WELCOME to MOT!!! :tup:
I envy you and living in Australia. I console myself that though it is cold here, we don't have killer spiders and snakes, crocs or great white sharks in Northern Europe! :-D
Nor do we have aussie rules football, thank fook! :clap: :shirt: :shock:
The important thing is that you still support LUFC! :tup:
You can listen to live audio commentary on line here from all our games. We sometimes have live video feeds too. Hope you will stick around mate. ON ON ON!

Aussie rules is a GREAT game Twiggster,it takes a few matches to be able to understand the rules,but they are ALL MEN that play,....in soccer you have 11 men?? all pretending to be injured,in AFL you have 18 men all pretending they AREN'T injured.
One Bobby Collins
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by One Bobby Collins »

Afternoon all.

My good old Dad used to take me to Elland Road from early on, more to get me out from under my Mum's feet rather than me begging to watch the Super Leeds team. I was born in 65, the day after we beat man u in the semi-final replay :-D , and I believe my first game was in 1969 but I can't claim to remember a thing about it or claim to be obsessed with the team then, that came a few years later, probably 1972 ish and by then my Dad had joined the club on the ground staff. He bloomin' loved being there and working for The Don etc - the wages were disgracefully low but that job brought some great perks and I wsa lucky enough to get in to most home games for free and to get in the Players' Lounge afterwards. That all stopped in the 80s but it didn't stop me going, and yesterday reminded me of some of the better times on the terraces and in the pub beforehand (Peacock) and afterhand too, if that's a word, in the Duck & Drake in town.

It never leaves you, supporting your team, and if it does then you really need to ask yourself some serious questions :P

M O T :champ:
I like a cavort.
Cravex
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Cravex »

Good evening all. I'm new to the posting game but I always have a read on MOT - best Leeds forum going!

I started supporting Leeds when I was about 8 years old when I saw Lee Chapman stand on Steve Ogrizovic's head during a televised game in the title winning season. My dad had been trying to get me interested in Leeds for a while, he had been watching them since the Revie years. Followed Leeds ever since and I've just turned 30.

There is no other team in football for me, even though I was born in Huddersfield and live in Blackpool. LUFC for life!
gessa

Post by gessa »

Welcome Cravex.
USA LEE
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by USA LEE »

Since I was 2 hrs old. Born Leeds I have no choice really wont seem right supporting another team. One thing I miss working USA is the live games - Ho well what can you do. Trying to convert my son who supports Man Utd.

Still remember winning promotion at Bournemouth 1991- 92 I am right correct? under Howard Wilkinson -I couldn't make that out we won the league, year later Mid table like watching a different team.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

USA LEE wrote:Since I was 2 hrs old. Born Leeds I have no choice really wont seem right supporting another team. One thing I miss working USA is the live games - Ho well what can you do. Trying to convert my son who supports Man Utd.

Still remember winning promotion at Bournemouth 1991- 92 I am right correct? under Howard Wilkinson -I couldn't make that out we won the league, year later Mid table like watching a different team.
We were promoted in 1989-90, won the league in 1991-92
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
USA LEE
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by USA LEE »

Guildford White wrote:
We were promoted in 1989-90, won the league in 1991-92

Oops - time flies by.
philarmy
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @leedsbarber

Post by philarmy »

I moved to Leeds from my native Plymouth in 1984. I'd never really been to watch Plymouth Argyle but they were still my team and I got the piss taken plenty at school. Two lads at school called Jason Scherer and Brad Flaherty persuaded me to go with them to watch Leeds around 1987 and I've never looked back. I think the first match was the home leg in the play offs against Charlton. I wouldn't say I look out for Plymouth results but I do like to see them do well. Still a town full of seamen though!!
Stick a fork in me, I'm done!
alessio89
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by alessio89 »

being Italian I've had more trouble you get close to Leeds, but when I was a child and began to follow the Champions League, I was fascinated by the players who were playing in Lufc with O'Leary

when I was a kid, my absolute idol was soon Ian Harte (in fact I'm looking insistently his jersey on Ebay)
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @foxobilly

Post by CptCrash »

Ever since the sock tags. Born 1964. Tony Currie.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

My memory is very sketchy but, as I remember it, I was about 4 years old and we lived in Barnstaple, North Devon. My parents and three siblings had moved down there from Derbyshire (which is where my parents are from) before I was born, in about 1960. We had family staying and The Big Match was on (I think). Telly was black and white, so the only "colour" that stood out as anything other than a differing shade of grey, was white. Everyone got talking about football and someone (could have been my uncle or grandad, or possibly my older brother.....they were all Derby County fans, although only my uncle was really that serious about it......I seem to recall my brother had a brief dalliance with the Summerbee, Bell, Lee Man City team) said "I can't stand Leeds. Dirty team". I asked "are they the team that play in all white?" The answer came back in the affirmative and I said something like "I've seen them play on the telly a few times and they look brilliant". Not long afterwards we got ourselves a colour telly and the first game I remember watching on it was the 1972 Cup Final. I remember watching it and willing Leeds to go on and beat Arsenal. I was thrilled to bits after the game and still remember vividly being in huge admiration of Mick Jones as he gingerly ascended the steps to the royal box, wincing in pain at the dislocated elbow he received in the dying seconds of the game. From that moment on, I was a Leeds fan. Even though I was only 4 and a half, I followed our results and lapped up any chance I got to see us on the TV.
My Mother maintains that the following year I was inconsolable after Sunderland did us in the Cup Final. She claims I cried but I don't think I did. No disgrace but, much as I love football, there are other, more serious things to shed tears over.
Peter Lorimer was my hero, my idol, my footballing God. A colossus with the hardest shot in football. All I wanted back then was to be able to strike the ball as hard as him.

I never actually got to see us play in the flesh until 1977 or 78 (I should remember the exact year but I don't). All my older siblings had left home and flown the nest and I was left an "only child" with Mum and Dad. My Father had suffered from ill health and lost his gardening job at the Saunton Sands Hotel, so we upped sticks and moved to Cambridgeshire. One of the lads at the local school was an Ipswich fan and his birthday treat with a handful of friends (including myself) was a trip to Portman Road to see Ipswich entertain the mighty Leeds. The whole game was a blur. I could hardly believe it was real. Leeds won 1-0. I seem to recall Trevor Cherry got the winner but I wouldn't swear to it.
For my birthday that year I received the full, white Admiral home kit - shirts, shorts and socks, in itchy material with the little, yellow Admiral badges down the sleeves. I remember wearing it at play times (the school had a no uniform policy) and screaming "HANKIN" at the top of my voice every time I took a shot.

The job my Dad had been promised never materialised and, after a couple of years, we moved back to Devon, where my Mum and most of my family still live now. My Dad passed away a few years ago, sadly.
I managed a few trips to see Leeds in the 80's once I was earning money from a weekend job whilst at 6th form college but I only really started to go with any frequency once I moved out and headed to London to go to university.

My Mum still talks to me about football on the phone and about how Leeds and Derby are both faring. She's having a lot more to smile about than me this season. She says every year "is there any chance that Derby and Leeds could both go up this season?" Not something you'd hear from your typical DCFC fan, as they seem to have some weird, unreciprocated hatred of us.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

As a small addendum to the above post. Whilst living in Cambridgeshire, my mate's Dad took me, him and 3 other lads to watch Cambridge United on numerous Saturdays, which, in the absence of being able to go and watch Leeds, was an invaluable experience. I was Leeds by that time and they will always be my club, but I did have a big, soft spot for Cambridge as a result of my trips to the Abbey Stadium and still like to see them do well.
Friends Reunited has put me back in touch with Dale, the lad whose Dad took us to games and I hope they get back up from the Conference this season.