Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Supporting Leeds

Post by Gandalf »

It's good to read this thread, and learn about people's inaugurations into the religion that is LUFC.

Born and brought up in Hunslet, from a Rugby League supporting family, nobody ever went to the football. Parkside was the choice of venue for sporting endeavour. I first attended Elland Road at the age of six - a neighbour had got some free tickets - and I remember not a lot, except that I really enjoyed it. The next couple of years were spent in my back garden pretending to be George Meek (the only player I could remember), much to the disgust of my father.

Junior school provided the opportunity to make my next visits to ER possible. As a member of the school football team, we were offered four free tickets to LUFC home games, and as captain I made damn sure I got hold of one each time. The first match I went to (and the one I class as my first game, as I can still remember it clearly) was 10th March 1962. A 2-0 win against Swansea Town, with goals from wee Bobby Collins (on his debut) and Billy McAdams. I was 8 years old and I was in at the start of the greatest period of football that the city of Leeds has, and probably will ever, see.

When the free tickets dried up, a paper round was the means to get the cash, and when that failed, climbing the fences in the North East corner were the order of the day. My first away game was Derby away in 1964 with my uncle, when a late Alan Peacock equaliser kept us in the hunt for the 2nd Division title, which of course we won.

The first home game of the next season was probably one of my most memorable games ever. Playing against a fancied Liverpool side stacked with internationals, and we absolutely hammered them 4-2. I can still savour that atmosphere even now - 36,000 fans packed in for an evening game under those wonderful floodlights. What a season that was. I got my knackers crushed against a barrier when we played Everton in the FA Cup in front of 50,000. Billy's late winner in the FA Cup Semi Final at the City Ground that took us to Wembley for the first time. Then a double trip to Wembley to watch Hunslet and Leeds both lose their respective final.

Add this to losing the League title to "you know who" on goal difference, and I should have realised the pain that was going to be inflicted in coming years. But, you know what, I wouldn't have had it any differently. It is why we are Leeds, and it is why we are unique.

I could keep going on about the amazing European nights (briefly reprised during the O'Leary era), the Titles and FA Cup wins, the end of the Revie era, Clough, the European finals, Relegation, the horrors of the 80's, the resurgence in the 90's etc etc but I think I have bored you all enough.

MOT
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Guildford White wrote:
Great stuff riot - I lived in Sale, Greater Scumchester for far too long and I also used to feel that surge of optimism and sense of coming home at the top of the M62 when I reached the white rose. It doesn't have quite the same impact coming up the M1.

Do you remember the old hard shiny toilet paper in schools with WRCC printed on?

You tell that to the youth of today, and will they believe you??

In Hunslet, in the back to backs, the toilets were in blocks separated by several houses as you moved up the terraces. I remember the hard stuff in school and out [Izal] which was great for tracing and playing the comb [home made kazoo] but not much else. Also had sheets of newspaper torn into sensible sized sheets hung on a nail at the back of the toilet door. Toilet seat was made of planks with a hole cut out. More splinter than sphincter. But we did have dripping, tripe, black pudding, pigs feet + an amazing Hunslet team as well as LUFC. What's not to like? I think Gandalf may be the only progger from Hunslet. Rest of us were Salvation Army :wink:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

white.riot wrote: In Hunslet, in the back to backs, the toilets were in blocks separated by several houses as you moved up the terraces. I remember the hard stuff in school and out [Izal] which was great for tracing and playing the comb [home made kazoo] but not much else. Also had sheets of newspaper torn into sensible sized sheets hung on a nail at the back of the toilet door. Toilet seat was made of planks with a hole cut out. More splinter than sphincter. But we did have dripping, tripe, black pudding, pigs feet + an amazing Hunslet team as well as LUFC. What's not to like? I think Gandalf may be the only progger from Hunslet. Rest of us were Salvation Army :wink:
We were posh Hunslet. No money, but an inside lav and a garden. Trips to Drake's Pie Shop ensured that the Izal was in regular use.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Gandalf wrote:It's good to read this thread, and learn about people's inaugurations into the religion that is LUFC.

Born and brought up in Hunslet, from a Rugby League supporting family, nobody ever went to the football. Parkside was the choice of venue for sporting endeavour. I first attended Elland Road at the age of six - a neighbour had got some free tickets - and I remember not a lot, except that I really enjoyed it. The next couple of years were spent in my back garden pretending to be George Meek (the only player I could remember), much to the disgust of my father.

Junior school provided the opportunity to make my next visits to ER possible. As a member of the school football team, we were offered four free tickets to LUFC home games, and as captain I made damn sure I got hold of one each time. The first match I went to (and the one I class as my first game, as I can still remember it clearly) was 10th March 1962. A 2-0 win against Swansea Town, with goals from wee Bobby Collins (on his debut) and Billy McAdams. I was 8 years old and I was in at the start of the greatest period of football that the city of Leeds has, and probably will ever, see.

When the free tickets dried up, a paper round was the means to get the cash, and when that failed, climbing the fences in the North East corner were the order of the day. My first away game was Derby away in 1964 with my uncle, when a late Alan Peacock equaliser kept us in the hunt for the 2nd Division title, which of course we won.

The first home game of the next season was probably one of my most memorable games ever. Playing against a fancied Liverpool side stacked with internationals, and we absolutely hammered them 4-2. I can still savour that atmosphere even now - 36,000 fans packed in for an evening game under those wonderful floodlights. What a season that was. I got my knackers crushed against a barrier when we played Everton in the FA Cup in front of 50,000. Billy's late winner in the FA Cup Semi Final at the City Ground that took us to Wembley for the first time. Then a double trip to Wembley to watch Hunslet and Leeds both lose their respective final.

Add this to losing the League title to "you know who" on goal difference, and I should have realised the pain that was going to be inflicted in coming years. But, you know what, I wouldn't have had it any differently. It is why we are Leeds, and it is why we are unique.

I could keep going on about the amazing European nights (briefly reprised during the O'Leary era), the Titles and FA Cup wins, the end of the Revie era, Clough, the European finals, Relegation, the horrors of the 80's, the resurgence in the 90's etc etc but I think I have bored you all enough.

MOT
I bow in awe of you, Gandy! You saw Wee Bobby Collins' debut? :shock:
I'm hoping that JJ and OzWhite will post on this thread...both even older than you mate ( :shock: ), tho they rarely post on here lately :cry: !

Please check out OzWhite's "History of LUFC" HERE...from a Leeds fan since well before we were both a glimmer in our fathers' eyes! :lol:

white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Gandalf wrote: We were posh Hunslet. No money, but an inside lav and a garden. Trips to Drake's Pie Shop ensured that the Izal was in regular use.
I lived in the Anchors which puts me within spitting distance of Drake's Porkies. Happy days. Used to buy my shoes at Place's and my bikes at Broughton's [if I remember the name correctly} and my fish and chips at Harrisons, I don't remember no posh kids though or gardens although I have spent many happy hours in the Gardeners Arms and The Garden Gate. Neither of which went for prog I recall. If you were posh you probably went to school at Central High before Uni :wink:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

white.riot wrote: I lived in the Anchors which puts me within spitting distance of Drake's Porkies. Happy days. Used to buy my shoes at Place's and my bikes at Broughton's [if I remember the name correctly} and my fish and chips at Harrisons, I don't remember no posh kids though or gardens although I have spent many happy hours in the Gardeners Arms and The Garden Gate. Neither of which went for prog I recall. If you were posh you probably went to school at Central High before Uni :wink:
I was joking about the Posh bit. Lived in the Hillidges, which amazingly are still there today. Cockburn not Central. We (mates from school) still go in the Gardeners Arms every Saturday.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Gandalf wrote: I was joking about the Posh bit. Lived in the Hillidges, which amazingly are still there today. Cockburn not Central. We (mates from school) still go in the Gardeners Arms every Saturday.

I also went to Cockburn - spooky how we've turned out so different :lol: Right you must have been in the A stream cos the lads in B did motown not prog :rasta: Milners [Gran] and Anchors [me}. Small world.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

white.riot wrote: I also went to Cockburn - spooky how we've turned out so different :lol: Right you must have been in the A stream cos the lads in B did motown not prog :rasta: Milners [Gran] and Anchors [me}. Small world.
Of course I was in the A stream. 8-) Sounds like we were there at the same time. I left in 72. You ?
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Gandalf wrote: Of course I was in the A stream. 8-) Sounds like we were there at the same time. I left in 72. You ?

1970!
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Of course I was in the A stream. 8-) Sounds like we were there at the same time. I left in 72. You ?
My guess there is a year between you, this thread is becoming spooky :!:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Twiggster wrote: I bow in awe of you, Gandy! You saw Wee Bobby Collins' debut? :shock:
I'm hoping that JJ and OzWhite will post on this thread...both even older than you mate ( :shock: ), tho they rarely post on here lately :cry: !

Please check out OzWhite's "History of LUFC" HERE...from a Leeds fan since well before we were both a glimmer in our fathers' eyes! :lol:

Yep, hard not to miss Bobby seeing as he was the same height as me when I was 8 :lol:

I will check out the OzWhite link over the weekend. I think I have seen some of his stuff before.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

white.riot wrote:
1970!
After your O Levels or A Levels ?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

1964white wrote: My guess there is a year between you, this thread is becoming spooky :!:
Damn, one year out :?
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

1964white wrote: My guess there is a year between you, this thread is becoming spooky :!:

Gandalf used to look up to me back in the day :lol:

Now I really must go back underground to protect my identity. What with CSA and Gandalf it's getting to be like family.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Damn, one year out :?

No it must be me that's wrong competitor man :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:
You ain't got no choice on that score mate, Gandi would still look upto you :lol:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

white.riot wrote: Gandalf used to look up to me back in the day :lol:

Now I really must go back underground to protect my identity. What with CSA and Gandalf it's getting to be like family.
You can't chicken out now. C'mon divvy up. We were either in the same year, or you were two years above me.

If we were in the same year, I could always take a Chance and have a guess.

Was CSA there as well ? - He must be a lot younger.
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Gandalf wrote: After your O Levels or A Levels ?

Never did As which is now looking really dangerous if you did. That has us in the same year [perhaps]. I was the debonair guy in the cravat with all the ladies following me round; David Watts :lol:
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Gandalf wrote: You can't chicken out now. C'mon divvy up. We were either in the same year, or you were two years above me.

If we were in the same year, I could always take a Chance and have a guess.

Was CSA there as well ? - He must be a lot younger.

CSA used to DJ in The Omnibus, a pub I used to call my local at one time [Sharp Lane - Belle Isle]. He I think is a contemporary of Nell McAndrew. CSA will have some tales to tell I reckon :wink:

No guessing out loud - they think I'm a big strong guy with pecs and all the rest on here. Let's not disappoint them. PM would be fine and a pint at some point to look back on old times [unless it turns out you have a score to settle cos I stole your Park Drive]. I haven't changed a bit mindst :wink: Cheers for now.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I love all this schoolboy stuff

Spill the beans you lot, i want to go to bed :lol: