Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cluds
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by Cluds » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:21 pm

Guess I am likely to be one of the oldest here. Born in Wortley, then primary school in Beeston. By the time I was 7 I was hooked. We could hear the crowd from our house (edge of Cross Flatts Park.) My dad took me to Elland Road on Boxing Day 1956. We played Blackpool and won 5 1, but I went through half my life thinking it had been 3 1 till I actually looked it up! Since then I have lived in Leeds, Liverpool, Chester and now just north of London. Season ticket till early 2000s but now just get to games when I can, especially the London ones.
Failed to get a Charlton ticket for first time ever, so if anyone ends up with a spare?!

Currie14
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:46 am

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by Currie14 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:24 pm

Supported Leeds from about 8 years old, Peter Lorimer was a favourite back then, caught the imagination with his ferocious shooting. First ER
game was v University Craiova and I remember us winning, being pelted by coins at the bottom of the kop and then watching a police cavalry charge in the car park afterwards! Was last a season ticket holder in the 1989/90 season and was a regular for years thereafter but being a Parkinsons sufferer means I now only get to occasional games when funds/illness permits. I remain optimistic that i'll see my beloved LUFC in the Prem whilst I can still appreciate it.
Favourite player Tony Currie (With a special mention to Batts). Of the current crop you've gotta love Kalvin but for the story of how we nearly let him go and the real fist of it that he's made since, it's Klich (well apart from THAT penalty!).
MOT, ALAW.
Steve

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 78757
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by 1964white » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Cluds wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:21 pm
Guess I am likely to be one of the oldest here. Born in Wortley, then primary school in Beeston. By the time I was 7 I was hooked. We could hear the crowd from our house (edge of Cross Flatts Park.) My dad took me to Elland Road on Boxing Day 1956. We played Blackpool and won 5 1, but I went through half my life thinking it had been 3 1 till I actually looked it up! Since then I have lived in Leeds, Liverpool, Chester and now just north of London. Season ticket till early 2000s but now just get to games when I can, especially the London ones.
Failed to get a Charlton ticket for first time ever, so if anyone ends up with a spare?!
Apologies I've just seen this....Welcome to MOT

Blimey Cluds you're older than me :lol:

You must have seen the great John Charles play for Leeds :) unfortunately I just missed seeing big John play in his second stint at ER

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 78757
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by 1964white » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:54 pm

Currie14 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:24 pm
Supported Leeds from about 8 years old, Peter Lorimer was a favourite back then, caught the imagination with his ferocious shooting. First ER
game was v University Craiova and I remember us winning, being pelted by coins at the bottom of the kop and then watching a police cavalry charge in the car park afterwards! Was last a season ticket holder in the 1989/90 season and was a regular for years thereafter but being a Parkinsons sufferer means I now only get to occasional games when funds/illness permits. I remain optimistic that i'll see my beloved LUFC in the Prem whilst I can still appreciate it.
Favourite player Tony Currie (With a special mention to Batts). Of the current crop you've gotta love Kalvin but for the story of how we nearly let him go and the real fist of it that he's made since, it's Klich (well apart from THAT penalty!).
MOT, ALAW.
Steve
Welcome Steve to MOT

Some great Leeds legends you've mentioned there

Sad to hear you can only manage limited games due to your illness

ShandyPants92
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by ShandyPants92 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:36 pm

Hey up! I was born in Leeds in 1977 and raised in Lancashire - my parents screwed me on that one. I became a Leeds fan when i started paying attention to footie when i was about 8 or 9 but didnt really pay too close attention until they got into League 1 and i could watch them on the telly. That was during high school where everyone was a scum fan and i got so much grief and abuse for being Leeds. Needless to say 91-92 was the greatest year of my school life and i could even pick up cheap Leeds shirts at the Top Man in town cos no one else wanted them! I still have my 91 Top Man home shirt to this day. I even lost my virginity wearing the admiral one.......

Since then ive been a solid Leeds fan, watching on the telly mainly. My first game was against Blackburn on boxing day in 1992 where we lost 3-1, shearer grabbed a brace after macca equalized. Problem was, my Dad got tickets for Christmas from a workmate and they were in the Blackburn end. I was gutted and probably looked a right spoiled ungrateful ba***rd as i was miserable the rest of the day. I got to more games when i was in Uni and made it to most of the midweek European home games, taking mates too as it was 10 quid a ticket. I even took my gf, now wife to her first footie game. Anyway, i moved to the US 15 years ago and have kept watching games on the telly and dodgy streams every week when i can. Cant wait to get back for a game sometime and take my kids who are also, without question all Leeds.

Anyway, thats my Leeds story. Hope this is the year. Listen to Square Ball and Phil Hay pod religiously which have made me a bit more fanatical!

User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 15722
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by HarryofOz » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:09 pm

Welcome SP
We're going up like there is no gravity!

Leachy7
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:05 pm

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by Leachy7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 pm

Hello Whites!
So I have been supporting Leeds since 1979. My brother after years of me asking finally took me to see Leeds v Liverpool when Phil Thompson was ruined by the Kop Chants. I think it was 1-1.

When I was old enough I watched Leeds through thick and thin home and away for years. Howard Wilkinson came along and transformed the team with his fitness campaign much like today with Bielsa. I have never seen players like Strachan, McAllister, White, Batty etc play with such energy before. The unsung hero even today in my opinion was Lee Chapman which you may find controversial. The best game I ever saw him play in was Leeds v Liverpool in 1991 I think.

Lee Chapman scored a hat trick and we still lost 5-4. We were always stood in the Kop at Stanchion No 5. This was behind the goal about halfway back up the Kop. John Barnes scored one of the best individual goals that had the whole Kop applauding. To this day I have never seen this since.

That surge down the Kop and back up again as hundreds of fans jumped around in elation to a goal will never be beaten or seen again i'm afraid. The fan being crowd surfed around the stand was always great fun. The strangers around me at Stanchion 5 but also stood in the same place every week became familiar friends. I wonder what they are doing now?

I always get 4 or 5 games in a season today and I am so looking forward to a deserved and rightful place back in the Premier League. It's Happening......It's Happening.

My worst memory of Elland Road was leaving after a good win and then being surrounded by armed officers and arrested for Armed Robbery!!! To say that I was shaking was an understatement. My friend who took me to the game had a car that matched the description and after being released some 5 hours later no action was taken and no apology given. I have never been in trouble ever in my life but that will be etched in my memory.

I have to say Leeds fans are the best people and I could sit and talk for hours to the fans in the Pavilion when I am lucky enough to get to a game.

Thanks for having me Leeds United. I still feel privileged. MOT x

User avatar
Chilli D
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1625
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by Chilli D » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:49 am

Leachy7 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:20 pm
Hello Whites!
So I have been supporting Leeds since 1979. My brother after years of me asking finally took me to see Leeds v Liverpool when Phil Thompson was ruined by the Kop Chants. I think it was 1-1.

When I was old enough I watched Leeds through thick and thin home and away for years. Howard Wilkinson came along and transformed the team with his fitness campaign much like today with Bielsa. I have never seen players like Strachan, McAllister, White, Batty etc play with such energy before. The unsung hero even today in my opinion was Lee Chapman which you may find controversial. The best game I ever saw him play in was Leeds v Liverpool in 1991 I think.

Lee Chapman scored a hat trick and we still lost 5-4. We were always stood in the Kop at Stanchion No 5. This was behind the goal about halfway back up the Kop. John Barnes scored one of the best individual goals that had the whole Kop applauding. To this day I have never seen this since.

That surge down the Kop and back up again as hundreds of fans jumped around in elation to a goal will never be beaten or seen again i'm afraid. The fan being crowd surfed around the stand was always great fun. The strangers around me at Stanchion 5 but also stood in the same place every week became familiar friends. I wonder what they are doing now?

I always get 4 or 5 games in a season today and I am so looking forward to a deserved and rightful place back in the Premier League. It's Happening......It's Happening.

My worst memory of Elland Road was leaving after a good win and then being surrounded by armed officers and arrested for Armed Robbery!!! To say that I was shaking was an understatement. My friend who took me to the game had a car that matched the description and after being released some 5 hours later no action was taken and no apology given. I have never been in trouble ever in my life but that will be etched in my memory.

I have to say Leeds fans are the best people and I could sit and talk for hours to the fans in the Pavilion when I am lucky enough to get to a game.

Thanks for having me Leeds United. I still feel privileged. MOT x
Welcome to MOT Leachy, good to have you on board.

Leedsgashead
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:47 pm

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by Leedsgashead » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Thinking about this as i am writing it i sound like such a fickle tag along but anyway here goes,

Being from Bristol in school everyone had a prem team and when i was 9 or ten i only knew one thing, i didn't like Man Utd, even as a kid when do don't really have a concept of much there was always a natural feeling inside when people would say 'Man u' that disgusted me and irritated me. I broke my arm around 9 and my dad who was a Newcastle fan bought me the 95 Ginola kit. so i was Newcastle for that time and i remember being heartbroken when 'they' nicked the title and the manner of it, this only heightened my hatred for them even more.

Then in Secondary school around 12 and i was club less after falling out with the Toon, i remember seeing Harry Kewell and my dad said 'He's a good player him Juventus are trying to buy him' and that was the seeds of the beginning, it wasn't immediately after that but i started looking out for Leeds purely for Kewell, after that i remember results during the Bridges season when i thought to my self 'this lot could beat Man Utd'

At that time Arsenal were just behind and Liverpool Newcastle were the ambitious wannabees Leeds weren't really on the radar in my head but i believed something was bubbling up with them so during the summer i made the pledge, bought the shirt and professed to be L.U.F.C ,

And then the transfers started rolling in, i remember updating Ceefax and seeing Leeds had signed Dacourt 8.4M or something and along with Viduka i cherished these new players and i was so pumped for the new year.

Obviously everyone remembers signing Ferdinand but i can remember his debut was against Leicester and he had a stinker and we lost 3-0 or -3-1

Obviously everything that happened after was sick but i think when they sold Kewell that was what really stuck the knife in me because i adored him and i think being from another city and not having the roots or connection they are just an adopted team for most esp when you are at school because your own team is so s**t so after the break up of that team i am ashamed to say it but i dropped Leeds.

But i never followed another team after that and for most of my 20s if people asked me who i support i just said Rovers even though i haven't been to a game in 10 years, but i do love football and more recently football culture from all around the world and you realize that what makes a great Football Club is not the titles or the Glory but a hardcore impenetrable fan base who are there in the dark days as well as the light

Athletic Bilbao come to mind where they are so proud of their city they would rather lose than sign anyone from outside it, i personally love that and wish that was made a rule barring maybe 3 wildcards but i digress, English football has sold it's soul i think a lot of people are realizing that, Abramovich and Sky being two of the catalysts and it's trickled down ever since, but to the point where fans like Arsenal won't go the the stadium because because they're sulking at being 6th instead of 3rd it's pathetic really, i mean in the grand scheme of thing they are as Charlie Sheen said 'WINNING' so shut the f**k up. they don't understand true hardship.

Back to Leeds i have never stopped liking them but i found it hard to call myself a supporter as i i wasn't from there so couldn't really feel the pain of the decline, you feel like an imposter,
A year or so ago i seen the Leeds scarf and though wow that really is the best scarf in the world.
And so i have slowly found my way back i think and see what a great club it is with or without success

And no matter what they have two things that you can always rely on
Best Kit
Despise Man Utd
That will do me

whiteblob
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:59 pm

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by whiteblob » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:49 pm

Just wanted to introduced my self as a Yorkshire man living in exile in london, who is a frayed, bewildered and anxious Leeds fan and its driving him nuts. I am looking for a forum for Leeds fans that offers a kind of group therapy and solidarity during this period of stress.

Every match seems like ground hog day with the result more a matter of chance than design. joy and pain are two sides of the same coin, but the flip of the coin seems to mirror history like a kind of deja vu that becomes a self for filling prophecy. an example would be the goal Wigan scored on Saturday, as soon as the corner was awarded I thought this is going to be a goal. Its driving me to the edge of superstition where I believe that by watching Leeds I am cursing the team, the very act of viewing is a hex upon the result.

Please tell me I am not alone!!!!!

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 33214
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by faaip » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Your never alone as a Leeds fan ...especially here. Welcome and join in on the GC forum..
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious...

....but I am...

....so that's how it comes out

Peter in Blackpool
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:50 am

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by Peter in Blackpool » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi guys, born in '58 in ilkley in the goc.......supported the whites vsince '69

first game, early 70's when we beat forest 6-1!

plenty of memorable games since.....highlights franny lee and our norm in the derby mudbath.....corrigan wondersave from sniffer in the cup, plus many more!

now living in blackpool doing missionary work.....well someone has to teach this lot how to speak proper and what colour a reet grand pudding should be
Enjoying the Ups (at last)

markelliott
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by markelliott » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Hey new on - your 3 Qs
1. 1970 FA Cup Final
2. Kit, not Chelsea, and best team
3. No

Post Reply

Advertisment