NAP of the Day

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Horse racing set to resume 1st June

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 11.11.50.png

Major revisions to this year's Royal Ascot have been unveiled including the introduction of six extra races, changes to the running order, consolation contests for prestigious handicaps and earlier start times throughout the week

Last month Ascot announced its intention to run the royal meeting in its regular position in the calendar, this year scheduled for June 16-20, but with no spectators permitted to attend due to the coronavirus pandemic.

However, with British racing, which has been stopped since March 18, not resuming until June 1 at the earliest, Ascot officials have made a number of significant amendments to facilitate extra runners and provide a suitable programme for those horses being targeted at the fixture.

Nick Smith, Ascot's director of racing and public affairs, said: "We are of course taking nothing for granted in terms of government's final approval to permit behind-closed-doors sporting events from June 1.

"We are announcing the programme today, with the dates of the royal meeting already public as part of the wider schedule for resumption, so that horsemen can begin their detailed planning."

Chief among the changes is the introduction of six extra races across the five days meaning there will be seven contests on every day bar Saturday, the final day of the fixture, when there will be eight races.

The 7f Buckingham Palace Handicap, scrapped from the programme when the Group 1 Commonwealth Cup was created in 2015, returns and will be the opening race this year instead of the Group 1 Queen Anne Stakes.

Additionally, there will be consolation races for the Royal Hunt Cup and Wokingham and three new races for this year only – the 1m6f Copper Horse Handicap for four-year-olds and up, the 1m2f Golden Gates Handicap for three-year-olds and the 5f Palace of Holyroodhouse Handicap for three-year-olds. All new race names have been approved by the Queen.

Ascot has also shuffled the order for the King Edward VII Stakes and Ribblesdale Stakes, pushing them to the first day of the meeting to provide the maximum amount of time before the Investec Derby and Oaks on July 4.

The St James's Palace Stakes has moved in the opposite direction to be on the final day of the meeting, along with the Coronation Stakes, to increase the time between these races and the Qipco 2,000 and 1,000 Guineas at Newmarket on June 6-7.

The Queen Mary Stakes, Norfolk Stakes and Coventry Stakes have been moved to the end of the royal meeting to give the two-year-old runners extra time between their debuts and the meeting.

All 36 races are set to be shown on Sky Sports Racing with ITV broadcasting the action on its main channel from race two during the week and from race three on Saturday.

Racing will begin at 1.15pm from Tuesday to Friday and 12.40pm on Saturday, with the final race at 4.40pm. Prize-money figures, which are expected to be lower than usual, will be announced in due course.

Smith said: "We are most grateful to the BHA's race-planning team for their assistance in framing the additional races for this exceptional renewal of Royal Ascot. We hope these extra opportunities will be welcomed by horsemen, broadcasters and the public at home.

"Under [BHA director of racing] Ruth Quinn, a lot of work has gone into scheduling an appropriate Pattern trials programme, beginning on June 3, alongside an enhanced two-year-old programme."
1964white

Re: Horse racing set to resume 1st June

Post by 1964white »

Can't wait for this :hors: :horse:

Royal Ascot order of running

Tuesday
Buckingham Palace Handicap (7f, 3yo+)
Queen Anne Stakes (1m, Group 1, 4yo+)
Ribblesdale Stakes (1m4f, Group 2, 3yo fillies)
King Edward VII Stakes (1m4f, Group 2, 3yo colts & geldings)
King's Stand Stakes (5f, Group 1, 3yo+)
Duke of Cambridge Stakes (1m, Group 2, 4yo+ fillies and mares)
Ascot Stakes Handicap (2m4f, 4yo+)

Wednesday
Silver Royal Hunt Cup Handicap (1m, 3yo+)
Hampton Court Stakes (1m2f, Group 3, 3yo)
King George V Handicap (1m4f, 3yo)
Prince of Wales's Stakes (1m2f, Group 1, 4yo+)
Royal Hunt Cup Handicap (1m, 3yo+)
Windsor Castle Stakes (5f, Listed, 2yo)
Copper Horse Handicap (1m6f, 4yo+)

Thursday
Golden Gates Handicap (1m2f, 3yo)
Wolferton Stakes (1m2f, Listed, 4yo+)
Jersey Stakes (7f, Group 3, 3yo)
Chesham Stakes (7f, Listed, 2yo)
Gold Cup (2m4f, Group 1, 4yo+)
Britannia Handicap (1m, 3yo colts & geldings)
Sandringham Handicap (1m, 3yo, fillies)

Friday
Palace of Holyroodhouse Handicap (5f, 3yo)
Albany Stakes (6f, Group 3, 2yo fillies)
Norfolk Stakes (5f, Group 2, 2yo)
Hardwicke Stakes (1m4f, Group 2, 4yo+)
Commonwealth Cup (6f, Group 1, 3yo colts & fillies)
Queen's Vase (1m6f, Group 2, 3yo)
Duke of Edinburgh Handicap (1m4f, 3yo+)

Saturday
Silver Wokingham Handicap (6f, 3yo+)
Queen Mary Stakes (5f, Group 2, 2yo fillies)
Coronation Stakes (1m, Group 1, 3yo fillies)
Coventry Stakes (6f, Group 2, 2yo)
St James's Palace Stakes (1m, Group 1, 3yo colts)
Diamond Jubilee Stakes (6f, Group 1, 4yo+)
Wokingham Handicap (6f, 3yo+)
Queen Alexandra Stakes (2m6f, Conditions, 4yo+)
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Horse racing - ROYAL ASCOT news/updates....

Post by Gandalf »

Lovely (if it comes off).
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Re: Horse racing - ROYAL ASCOT news/updates....

Post by 1964white »

ITV Racing is set to return with a bang next week as the broadcaster has committed to showing 21 live races across next Friday, Saturday and Sunday's Group 1 cards

In the channel's first live racing coverage since a behind-closed-doors fixture at Thurles on March 21, Ed Chamberlin and his team are set to show seven races each day from June 5 to June 7, highlighted by the Coronation Cup and Qipco 2,000 and 1,000 Guineas.

Chamberlin and regular broadcast partner Francesca Cumani will be joined by Jason Weaver as they deliver the show from home, while the direction and production team of the show are set to use innovative technology in order to adhere to social distancing guidelines.

Commentator Richard Hoiles will be based off site in a booth to call the races, while the Opening Show will also return on Saturday, June 6 on ITV4.

Oli Bell will present that programme from home, with input from Weaver, Hoiles and Matt Chapman.

Friday's ITV4 coverage will show four live races from Newmarket, including the Coronation Cup, rerouted from Epsom, and Lingfield's Oaks and Derby Trials.

The Qipco 2,000 Guineas will spearhead Saturday's Newmarket coverage on the main ITV channel, as well as the broadcaster showing three contests from Newcastle, including the Sagaro Stakes.

Sunday's action consists of four live races from Newmarket, highlighted by the Qipco 1,000 Guineas, while Haydock will also feature on the broadcast.

The Brigadier Gerard Stakes, which has been switched from Sandown, is one of three contests that ITV will show from that track.

The Opening Show will be shown live on Saturday from 9.30am to 10.30am, while the live racing broadcasts will take place from 1.30pm to 4.00pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Full ITV Racing schedule from Friday, June 5 to Sunday, June 7

Friday, June 5, ITV4

Newmarket
1.50 Race Five Handicap
2.25 Abernant Stakes (Group 3)
3.00 Paradise Stakes (Listed)
3.35 Coronation Cup (Group 1)

Lingfield
2.05 East Grinstead Handicap
2.40 Oaks Trial Fillies’ Stakes (Listed)
3.15 Derby Trial Stakes (Listed)

Saturday, June 6, ITV

Newmarket
1.50 Palace House Stakes (Group 3)
2.25 Dahlia Fillies’ Stakes (Group 2)
3.00 Newmarket Stakes (Listed)
3.35 Qipco 2,000 Guineas Stakes (Group 1)

Newcastle
2.05 Washington Handicap
2.40 Sagaro Stakes (Group 3)
3.15 New Harrington Handicap

Sunday, June 7, ITV

Newmarket
1.50 Buckhounds Stakes (Listed)
2.25 Barrow Handicap
3.00 EBF Pretty Polly Fillies’ Stakes (Listed)
3.35 Qipco 1,000 Guineas Stakes (Group 1)

Haydock Park
2.05 Pinnacle Stakes (Group 3)
2.40 Brigadier Gerard Stakes (Group 3)
3.15 Spring Trophy Stakes (Listed)
1964white

Re: Horse racing - ITV to broadcast 21 races across opening three days of coverage next week

Post by 1964white »

As we've been so starved of the king of sports we could hold three consecutive Saturday meetings :-D

What does everybody think?

Cat & I can assist from our respective homes (social distancing) if three days is too much for Gandi
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Horse racing - ITV to broadcast 21 races across opening three days of coverage next week

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:17 am As we've been so starved of the king of sports we could hold three consecutive Saturday meetings :-D

What does everybody think?

Cat & I can assist from our respective homes (social distancing) if three days is too much for Gandi
I'm confused. How is it going to be different from the usual (when there was racing :)), Friday NAP, Saturday Meet, Sunday NAP?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:25 am I'm confused. How is it going to be different from the usual (when there was racing :)), Friday NAP, Saturday Meet, Sunday NAP?
Three top class race days which we would generally cover on a Saturday or as a possible Festival meeting.

Quality racing that deserves more interest than just a nap of a day imo Harry
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:03 pm Three top class race days which we would generally cover on a Saturday or as a possible Festival meeting.

Quality racing that deserves more interest than just a nap of a day imo Harry
Aha, thanks for the explanation.

I'm in.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:35 pm Aha, thanks for the explanation.

I'm in.
As are Jill & I :tup:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

So what are we doing ? The Festival idea sounds best, as to do the Saturday format on three consecutive days could disadvantage non-players. Whatever the decision, I am available to do the calculations.
Azkal
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Azkal »

I am fine with whatever way you wish to proceed
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:44 pm So what are we doing ? The Festival idea sounds best, as to do the Saturday format on three consecutive days could disadvantage non-players. Whatever the decision, I am available to do the calculations.
Festival or three individual Saturday comps are fine by me

And thank you for taking on the challenge Gandi :tup: :
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Azkalwhite wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:01 pm I am fine with whatever way you wish to proceed
Good man Az :tup:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: HORSE RACING - ITV to broadcast 21 races across opening three days of coverage next week - Whose up for the challeng

Post by Gandalf »

As I say, I think the festival approach is best.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Re: HORSE RACING - ITV to broadcast 21 races across opening three days of coverage next week - Whose up for the challeng

Post by Gandalf »

I'll let 64 rally the troops (BB).
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

I'm in, whatever the format
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:22 pm I'll let 64 rally the troops (BB).
The young lady has already had one reminder today :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:22 pm I'll let 64 rally the troops (BB).
Gurj maybe interested too!
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

I'm in :angel: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.