European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 74774
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by 1964white » Wed May 28, 2014 9:03 am

1971 Juventus A D 2-2 Inter Cities Fairs Cup Final First Leg
1975 Bayern Munich Paris L 0-2 European Cup Final

Leeds have twice been involved in European finals on this day.

In 1971, goals from Paul Madeley and Mick Bates saw Leeds draw 2-2 in Turin as the first leg of their Inter Cities Fairs Cup final finished 2-2 against Juventus.

In 1975, Leeds were again robbed of European glory as another dodgy refereeing performance after the 1973 fiasco saw them lose the European Cup Final 2-0 in Paris to German champions Bayern Munich.

Peter Lorimer had a perfectly good goal ruled out and Leeds twice had penalty appeals waved away, one where Beckenbauer brought down Clarke was an absolute stonewall pen without any doubt whatsoever :shock:

User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 15034
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by HarryofOz » Wed May 28, 2014 9:06 am

Get over it
We're going up like there is no gravity!

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 74774
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by 1964white » Wed May 28, 2014 9:42 am

HarryofOz wrote:Get over it
One of the few occasions i shed tears over my beloved LUFC

User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11448
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Contact:

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by Martyn » Wed May 28, 2014 10:47 am

1964white wrote:
One of the few occasions i shed tears over my beloved LUFC
As did I.

We knew it was the last hurrah of the Revie team.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 74774
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by 1964white » Wed May 28, 2014 12:08 pm

Guildford White wrote:
As did I.

We knew it was the last hurrah of the Revie team.
Yes Martyn a sad end to a great era....remember saying to family/friends at the time we'd never have another opportunity of becoming European champions again :( now i'm wondering whether we'll ever play in the prem again during my lifetime

Emsley
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7395
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Leeds.

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by Emsley » Wed May 28, 2014 5:35 pm

One of my older mates went to it.
Siad the ripped s**t up all the way home.
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.

User avatar
billie1
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by billie1 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:57 pm

Of all the disappointments endured over the years as a Leeds fan , this was the cruelest . Joe Jordan said " they should have won to stamp their name in history . It was taken away from them . That was the one game that would have given the team a cup to show the world how good they were . They deserved it . " I did cry for Billy and the team that night . It meant so much .

User avatar
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 54816
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by Twiggster » Wed May 28, 2014 8:11 pm

After the gendarmes cavalry charged us post game, I got separated from my mates. Got chased into a nearby park by THREE cops on horses and managed to hide in some bushes. Cops were batoning anyone wearing Leeds colours. Mate of mine and his missus got cracked skulls and concussion.
I've been in some right rumbles at footy away games, but only ever been scared enough to hide my colours after that game. Cops were totally OTT and then Maroccan gangs were picking off the survivors, as some of their gang members got a beating and thrown in the river before the game, for trying to sell Leeds fans tickets at triple face value.
Managed to get back to where our van was parked. Luckily everyone was ok, but we were still missing 2 lads. They staggered up about an hour after me and one of them had been clobbered by a cop and had bad pain in his shoulder. Turned out later his collarbone was shattered beyond repair!
No mobile phones back then, but the van had a CB radio and we found out that french customs were being really heavy with Leeds fans at all the ports used to get back to England and many our our fans missed their ferries. We pooled our money and found we had enough for petrol to get to Brugge and hopefully buy new boat tickets there. We did - and had enough left over to get mightily drunk on the ferry to Hull! Barman on the boat was a Leeds fan, who kept sending us rounds on the house :tup:
Except for that boat trip, it was the most horrible awayday EVER.

Emsley
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7395
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Leeds.

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by Emsley » Wed May 28, 2014 9:53 pm

Twiggster wrote:After the gendarmes cavalry charged us post game, I got separated from my mates. Got chased into a nearby park by THREE cops on horses and managed to hide in some bushes. Cops were batoning anyone wearing Leeds colours. Mate of mine and his missus got cracked skulls and concussion.
I've been in some right rumbles at footy away games, but only ever been scared enough to hide my colours after that game. Cops were totally OTT and then Maroccan gangs were picking off the survivors, as some of their gang members got a beating and thrown in the river before the game, for trying to sell Leeds fans tickets at triple face value.
Managed to get back to where our van was parked. Luckily everyone was ok, but we were still missing 2 lads. They staggered up about an hour after me and one of them had been clobbered by a cop and had bad pain in his shoulder. Turned out later his collarbone was shattered beyond repair!
No mobile phones back then, but the van had a CB radio and we found out that french customs were being really heavy with Leeds fans at all the ports used to get back to England and many our our fans missed their ferries. We pooled our money and found we had enough for petrol to get to Brugge and hopefully buy new boat tickets there. We did - and had enough left over to get mightily drunk on the ferry to Hull! Barman on the boat was a Leeds fan, who kept sending us rounds on the house :tup:
Except for that boat trip, it was the most horrible awayday EVER.

Back when it was more fun! :mrgreen:
WE''RE LEEDS UNITED, WE''LL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Paul Green was warnobs best signing.
If you disagree please send me a PM so we can get in to a fight.

User avatar
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 11448
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Twitter: @MartynStead
Location: and Momentum both uncertain
Contact:

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by Martyn » Thu May 29, 2014 12:17 am

Emsley wrote:

Back when it was more fun! :mrgreen:
There was nothing fun about being cheated out of the European Cup. :evil:
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.

User avatar
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 54816
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: near København, DK
Contact:

Re: European Finals - Robbery On This Very Day In 1975....

Post by Twiggster » Thu May 29, 2014 12:50 am

Guildford White wrote:
There was nothing fun about being cheated out of the European Cup. :evil:
OR the post game police brutality.

Post Reply

Advertisment