Redders

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @Hibbi86

Re: Redders

Post by hibbi86 »

Atleast he got 32 days the watford manager only had 6 :roflmao:
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Given the options Redfearn is perhaps the only manager/coach that could bring success to Leeds. I don't say this as I think he has suddenly become a tactical genius but for the fact he knows the club inside out and more importantly all the players be they new signings or 14 year olds in the youth set up.

Any new coach coming in would need to miraculously achieve results straight away without knowing any of the players or have any players that he had brought in. All managers want to bring in at least a couple of players they feel that they know and trust and with our current strategy a manager simply wouldn't get long enough to get to a transfer window and even then it would be debateable as to whether he would be allowed to sign the players he would want. As such Redfearn again has the advantage. He showed as caretaker that he wanted players that he knew and trusted which is why he brought Cook and Mowatt straight in as they were players that had played for him, players that knew how he wanted to play and were comfortable playing that way and players he could trust to do that.

I hope that the results were not a flash in the pan. There are 2 ways of looking at the results and performances. Certainly against Brighton we could have been out of the game at half time but equally of importance was the fact that we turned in a second half performance which suggests that either Redfearn made tactical changes or inspired the team to play better - either is a good sign.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote:Given the options Redfearn is perhaps the only manager/coach that could bring success to Leeds. I don't say this as I think he has suddenly become a tactical genius but for the fact he knows the club inside out and more importantly all the players be they new signings or 14 year olds in the youth set up.

Any new coach coming in would need to miraculously achieve results straight away without knowing any of the players or have any players that he had brought in. All managers want to bring in at least a couple of players they feel that they know and trust and with our current strategy a manager simply wouldn't get long enough to get to a transfer window and even then it would be debateable as to whether he would be allowed to sign the players he would want. As such Redfearn again has the advantage. He showed as caretaker that he wanted players that he knew and trusted which is why he brought Cook and Mowatt straight in as they were players that had played for him, players that knew how he wanted to play and were comfortable playing that way and players he could trust to do that.

I hope that the results were not a flash in the pan. There are 2 ways of looking at the results and performances. Certainly against Brighton we could have been out of the game at half time but equally of importance was the fact that we turned in a second half performance which suggests that either Redfearn made tactical changes or inspired the team to play better - either is a good sign.

Not sure who's idea it was not to have or listen to Redfearns input during matchdays...but it was a bad mistake
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote:Not sure who's idea it was not to have or listen to Redfearns input during matchdays...but it was a bad mistake
Wasn't that Redfearn himself? Said that he was too busy with the Academy and that Darko could make his own decisions...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Genghers wrote: Wasn't that Redfearn himself? Said that he was too busy with the Academy and that Darko could make his own decisions...

If it was it sounds like sour grapes....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

faaip wrote:If it was it sounds like sour grapes....
A little. But I think his point was that he was involved in first team training and they were discussing things there, so he shouldn't be needed in the dugout.

Regardless, clearly Milanic could have done with him there!
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Genghers wrote: Wasn't that Redfearn himself? Said that he was too busy with the Academy and that Darko could make his own decisions...
Damn right he was busy - Cellino laid off all the other youth coaches.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

HMMMM -

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP 49m
The agreement between Cellino and Redfearn includes an understanding that NR will revert to academy job if it doesn't work out as head coach
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP
Redfearn has an assistant in mind - no news on who that'll be yet. Not clear either how the academy will be restructured after his promotion

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP
Seen mentions of Naylor for academy but I doubt it. Was sacked by Leeds, hasn't been contacted and I'm told he's happy out of football atm
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I see Mr Neville is at it again stirring the excrement. Calling for owners of clubs to show
more discretion when it comes to sacking managers and cites both Leeds and Watford as examples.

(sarcasim/on)I think it even might be a good idea. Like three strikes and you are out. Sack three managers in a season
and Harvey comes in and says you are not fit and proper to run a football club. Yes clubs should be sent
into administration if they sack too many managers in a season.... so MC would have to mend his ways.

I would go even further... If you get promoted you get to keep your successful manager, but if you get
demoted then it is the immediate sack for those underperforming managers. I think this
would be enough incentive for managers to buck up there ideas, and not only that after sacking
they can only get back into the game two leagues down... that will teach them.
(off/sarcasim)
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Max wants Redders signed before the baadiff game, but Neil is playing hard ball. 3rd day of contract discussions and still not signed......tick tock.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Good on Redfearn having the cojones to demand to be treated like any other manager. The ball is not in Cellino's court as he has shown at Leeds, and indeed before, that he has no clue when it comes to matching a managers characteristics, skills and tactics with a club. He's practically turned to Redfearn and said that he's spent a bit of money and it's an easy risk to try Redfearn as the head coach. Cellino appears to respect Redfearn and for this to work, he needs to understand that Redfearn is no pushover.

The fans and players will get behind Neil regardless of whether the contract is signed by Saturday but lets get it out of the way so Cellino can focus on getting Elland Road back home.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

I would actually prefer us not to appoint Redfearn as head coach. I just can't see it working out and find it quite hard to believe that we would appoint someone with a clause in the Contract to say that if things go tits up then he can just slide back into his previous position. Wow, no pressure there then Redders, you can be a big fat failure and your old job will be there just sitting waiting for you :roll: Caretaker coach fine, permanent head coach - no thank you. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Ordinarily, I'd tend to agree with you, Ang, insomuch as the 'safety net' of your old job back could make a coach either complacent or not give a feck, but this is no ordinary situation. Fact is, Redders is the best fit for the job, currently. He knows the players, he cares about the club and I also think he has the measure of Mad Max. To Cellino's credit, he recognises the contribution Redders has made to the club and, perhaps, he knows deep down that he hasn't a clue about coaching, academies etc. His ego probably wouldn't allow him to admit it, but MC is a fish out of water in terms of the English game. I don't think he's a foolish man (impulsive, yes), so he will eventually figure out that success over here demands a manager who has total control of the football side of things, not a puppet to be manipulated by an owner who wants to head in his own corners! Until that happens, Redders is our best bet. In my humble opinion, of course!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

He could do for us what BMC did for Reading...
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Redders

Post by Martyn »

Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:He could do for us what BMC did for Reading...

I agree :tup:
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Redders has just done the Press Conf ahead of Cardiff game.

Said the delay has " never been about Salary "

Deal has been agreed that he " will step back down to Academy if it doesnt work out as first team coach for him "

Cellino " talked about Stability " more than him.

MC also said Redders is the future of the club.

It's going to be 12 month rolling contract when signed ( should be done tomorrow )

Source : Adam Pope/Phil Hay/Thom Kirwan from their respective tweets
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Same as BMC I don't think Redders is anything special as a HC/manager. His record is similar to Hockadys. But like BMC at Reading (and a succession of Liverpool managers in the 70's) he's been around this club for a long time, he knows the players, has had a hand in them being Leeds players (for a few of them) and clearly has the respect of his team.

It's crazy but it might just work

good luck
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

I'm really pleased that it's been agreed for him to go back to the Academy if things go pear shaped - my main reservation of him getting the full head coach position was that we might lose him.

Sounds like he and Cellino have a very respectful relationship and understand where each other are coming from, which is always going to be a plus with someone as unpredictable as Massimo.

Excited to see the direction he takes us now - it's been well reported that the Academy have been playing good (and attacking) football for a couple of seasons now, so hopefully we'll see more of that with the first team. I also think we might see a few of his trusted academy/u-21 players getting a chance - it's about time Dawson had a look in, considering how many players we've had fill the 4th midfield role this season!