Last year / this year

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Re: Last year / this year

Post by ldsutd »

I have noticed that as this seasons stats have been getting better and better that Martin had started replying less and less to this thread lol.
Not having a go Martin it's just I have noticed you have less to moan at now which means we are going in the right direction. I just wish we didn't have a summer break and next season started the following Saturday. :tup:
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

ldsutd wrote:I just wish we didn't have a summer break and next season started the following Saturday. :tup:
I wish next season started last Christmas.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

ldsutd wrote:I have noticed that as this seasons stats have been getting better and better that Martin had started replying less and less to this thread lol.
Not having a go Martin it's just I have noticed you have less to moan at now which means we are going in the right direction. I just wish we didn't have a summer break and next season started the following Saturday. :tup:
No mate, at the point when ordinary posts I had made were being twisted by a mod under the pretence that they were a defence of "McDermott/Warnock" and an attack on Cellino even though those posts mentioned neither, I made a decision to post nothing that could in any way be construed as an opinion. That's why I don't post much in here any more, I am sticking to the predictions forum.

I am, however, delighted by our run of form since Xmas.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

My thoughts of last & this season not far off the truth then :P

Said at the end of last season we needed to strip the squad as i felt they looked like a L1 outfit. Players such as Pearce/Lees/Tonge/Green/Peltier/Pugh/Varney/Hunt/Kenny/Poleon/etc were all very average.

No spine to the first eleven

Team lacked legs & energy

McCormack was not good for team spirit as he made constant wage demands & wanted to be involved in everything, not a good captain too. When did you ever see Mowatt take a free-kick ?

Last season we scored 59 goals heavily reliant on McCormack for the goals, this season we have scored 42 goals from all around the team which is much healthier than putting all your eggs in one basket

Smith now looking the League One striker he is always was needing 5 or 6 chances to score, always thought our fans overrated Matt Smith

Never a McDermott fan although to be fair to BM he was left with Neil Warnock's legacy, he never inspired me with his tactics/substitutions, signings, even though he signed Butland, Wickham, Kebe, Stewart from prem clubs he couldn't get the best out of them

Always felt we required a top european coach to take us to another level....on that point Redfern has proved me totally wrong :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Martyn wrote:
No mate, at the point when ordinary posts I had made were being twisted by a mod under the pretence that they were a defence of "McDermott/Warnock" and an attack on Cellino even though those posts mentioned neither, I made a decision to post nothing that could in any way be construed as an opinion. That's why I don't post much in here any more, I am sticking to the predictions forum.

I am, however, delighted by our run of form since Xmas.
Oh come on Martyn we all say things that may inadvertently offend someone. Please can we call a truce to this feud you seem to have towards me. It doesn't make pleasant reading for all our members
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I thought he was having a go at me!!!! :roflmao:

Delighted for Redfearn. It is very easy these days for people to all be armchair experts and not give the manager enough time. Very few managers have instant impacts (can only think of Mourinho and Martin O'Neill). Everybody wrote Hockaday and Milanic off after a handful of games and we will never know how well they could have done - especially Milanic who had had decent success as a manager but needed time to get used to English football and the players he had. It would have been very easy to have seen Redfearn sent back to the academy and simply written off as a manager/coach but he has tinkered with the squad, chosen the players he wants (regardless of opinions of fans and, according to some, Cellino) worked out a couple of systems that suits them and got a team that has a great spirit about it and looks to have a shout at promotion next season.

For the first time since the SG era thinks are on the up.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Redfearn had the advantage of relying on the youth products, and his knowledge of what was already here. Hockaday/Milanic were both thrown in at the deep end with expectations high, patience low and familiarity non-existent. I don't know if anyone predicted at the start of the season that the youth would be so prominent in the new team, nor that Wootton/Morison/Murphy/Austin would have key parts. Hockaday and Milanic's main goals would have been to get the new players into the team, as I'm sure that's what the Chairman would have wanted. They didn't have the freedom, knowledge or indeed lack of pressure to start worrying about what was in the youth set up. They'd enough players to get to know without looking at more.

Redfearn got a head start due to lack of pressure (we were already doing poor, he only had to improve), lack of requirements (many fans weren't overly impressed by some of the new signings and as such weren't expecting to see them play) and his knowledge of the existing senior/youth set up. If I was a player, it's not difficult to imagine you'd also be more fired up by playing for one of your own (Redfearn) than an uninspiring (no offence Dave) new managerial signing.

As many said at the start, new signings were going to take time to settle in, and it's true that Bellusci, Berardi and Silvestri are proving their worth, but luckily for Redfearn, and us, he was able to fall back on to other players for a more immediate impact. And that was quite evident when considering the performance of a relatively experienced Bamba coming straight into the squad and improving it.

Redfearn has proven he can do it over a long stretch of games and deserves the job. Inspiring, honest, intelligent and is performing well. As it's very much important to other people, i'll also point out he's probably on significantly lower wages than any other manager who could realistically do a better job. Also Thompson appears to be more than capable of providing the extra assistance that is needed in a managerial team and should also receive a lot of credit for this current run.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gotta admit that however Thompson is helping NR it seems to have made a big difference. A very uninspiring choice as no one had heard of him and no real hint of what he had to offer.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

weasel wrote:Gotta admit that however Thompson is helping NR it seems to have made a big difference. A very uninspiring choice as no one had heard of him and no real hint of what he had to offer.
Neil knew what Thompson had, and that is all it matters. In Redders We Trust.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

Crude wrote: Neil knew what Thompson had, and that is all it matters. In Redders We Trust.
Sorry to say in Redders I DID'NT trust but oh I am SOOOO glad he proved me wrong. :tup:
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

theleedsmango wrote:
Redfearn got a head start due to lack of pressure (we were already doing poor, he only had to improve), lack of requirements (many fans weren't overly impressed by some of the new signings and as such weren't expecting to see them play) and his knowledge of the existing senior/youth set up.

A lack of pressure?

He was under a huge amount of pressure to deliver. The fanbase expects nothing less and so many managers and players have wilted under that pressure and failed to deliver.
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

gessa

Post by gessa »

barryanorak wrote:

A lack of pressure?

He was under a huge amount of pressure to deliver. The fanbase expects nothing less and so many managers and players have wilted under that pressure and failed to deliver.
I have to agree. I think one of the biggest things about Thompson coming in was his sharing the work load henice releiving some of the pressure off Redder, enabling him to concentrate on the more important things.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

I think the benefit Redders had was that the season was all but written off when he got his second spell.

So we are taking a slightly longer term view.

I just hope he is given the players he needs to step up from being a very hard team to play against to one that can push on.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:I think the benefit Redders had was that the season was all but written off when he got his second spell.

So we are taking a slightly longer term view.

I just hope he is given the players he needs to step up from being a very hard team to play against to one that can push on.
He has been given the players so far :

Silvestri, Bamba, Bellusci, Cooper, Berardi, Sharp & Antenucci have all played a part in 2015 plus Doukara, Bianchi & Sloth started the season quite well until their form dipped. We don't know how good N'Goyi is yet !
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

1964white wrote:
He has been given the players so far :

Silvestri, Bamba, Bellusci, Cooper, Berardi, Sharp & Antenucci have all played a part in 2015 plus Doukara, Bianchi & Sloth started the season quite well until their form dipped. We don't know how good N'Goyi is yet !

I mean players that are creative and work with the system he wants to use, our midfield is talented and works hard, but we don't have a true creative outlet that Redders seems to trust.

That is presuming Redders wants us to be a more creative side.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

We seem to be creating chances fairly regularly (from the number Morison has missed :lol:), but we don't have anyone who can create something from nothing which is what most top teams have.

We also still lack pace throughout the squad, Watford tore us apart on the counter because we just couldn't keep up with them!

A(nother) proven goalscorer and a couple of pacey wingers would do us well I think. As well as Sam has played at RW (and Wooton at RB), I think his future is still as an overlapping fullback as opposed to an out and out winger.

The spine of the team has come together over the last couple of months and maybe Ngoyi will provide more grit to midfield. Morison has played a part, but he'd be easily replaced if we found a striker of similar build who can actually score!

If Adryan stays then maybe he could be our creative spark, but who knows?
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

Genghers wrote:We seem to be creating chances fairly regularly (from the number Morison has missed :lol:), but we don't have anyone who can create something from nothing which is what most top teams have.

We also still lack pace throughout the squad, Watford tore us apart on the counter because we just couldn't keep up with them!

A(nother) proven goalscorer and a couple of pacey wingers would do us well I think. As well as Sam has played at RW (and Wooton at RB), I think his future is still as an overlapping fullback as opposed to an out and out winger.

The spine of the team has come together over the last couple of months and maybe Ngoyi will provide more grit to midfield. Morison has played a part, but he'd be easily replaced if we found a striker of similar build who can actually score!

If Adryan stays then maybe he could be our creative spark, but who knows?

Unless Redders decides that we are safe now, and picks fringe players to try out for the rest of the season, then I fear that the likes of Adryan will up sticks and try their chances elsewhere. I certainly can't see Cellino (or whoever) paying 3 million quid (or Euros) for him on the evidence so far.
:tup:
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Update.

3 games left - it won't be much improvement on last season if any.

Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Martyn wrote:Update.

3 games left - it won't be much improvement on last season if any.

Indeed. Considering we had such a poor start/run early on, I think that being on a par is okay. Shows what good having a complete overhaul does for you though...

Hopefully with the experience our new players have they can improve on this next season.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Just shows me that the chairman will have every right to change the manager.