FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 74618
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich

Post by 1964white » Wed May 27, 2015 5:49 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32895057

Hopefully this currupt lot are getting there comeuppance

Football League next please

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 74618
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by 1964white » Wed May 27, 2015 6:08 am

Sepp Blatter not one of the six arrested :(

However one of those connected with the shambolic choice of the next World Cup venue is arrested

User avatar
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 10329
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 am
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds
Location: Sunny Doncaster

FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by Dr.Leeds » Wed May 27, 2015 7:54 am

Excellent timing. Hopefully this will impact on Blatter's re-election as FIFA president.
Image

Genghers
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5840
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by Genghers » Wed May 27, 2015 9:26 am

And in other news, the Pope is discovered to be Catholic.

User avatar
barryanorak
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3161
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by barryanorak » Wed May 27, 2015 9:29 am

As has been said, many times, many places., I can't believe it's not Blatter..
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...


andywatson
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by andywatson » Wed May 27, 2015 10:33 am

I can't believe they only arrested 6.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO

User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8609
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by Gandalf » Wed May 27, 2015 12:19 pm

barryanorak wrote:As has been said, many times, many places., I can't believe it's not Blatter..
Image
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!


User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 15009
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by HarryofOz » Wed May 27, 2015 8:27 pm

It hardly comes as a shock does it? Other than Blatter's current non-involvement.

But, I don't get where the US has any jurisdiction over the matter???
We're going up like there is no gravity!

andywatson
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by andywatson » Wed May 27, 2015 8:33 pm

HarryofOz wrote:It hardly comes as a shock does it? Other than Blatter's current non-involvement.

But, I don't get where the US has any jurisdiction over the matter???
The crimes being investigated took place in the US, and the money was paid through an American bank.

Those weird things the Americans have really serious federal laws on, so they are up for stuff like racketeering.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO

User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 15009
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by HarryofOz » Wed May 27, 2015 8:36 pm

andywatson wrote:
The crimes being investigated took place in the US, and the money was paid through an American bank.

Those weird things the Americans have really serious federal laws on, so they are up for stuff like racketeering.
Cheers Andy
We're going up like there is no gravity!

User avatar
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: east london

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich After Dawn Raid

Post by woodfordwhites » Wed May 27, 2015 8:43 pm

hehe your winnings sir

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 74618
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich/UPDATE

Post by 1964white » Fri May 29, 2015 5:33 pm

Blatter re-elected :(

I suspect the corrupt African nations have voted this little squirt back in

User avatar
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich/UPDATE

Post by drsdadsotherson » Fri May 29, 2015 6:52 pm

Best hope is that this 'election' is freshly drenched in corruption and that the evidence is bobbing on the surface for the FBI to find.

Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich/UPDATE

Post by Drs.Dad » Fri May 29, 2015 8:33 pm

I have just read an article in The Scratching Shed, which proposes a different solution to this problem, that of UEFA and the North American bloc withdrawing from FIFA, thereby starving the corrupt organization of what it most desires....... money,

http://www.thescratchingshed.com/2015/0 ... s-nuclear/

Works for me!
:tup:
Image

User avatar
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich/UPDATE

Post by drsdadsotherson » Fri May 29, 2015 9:32 pm

America could go it alone and have their own World Cup against themselves.

User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 15009
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich/UPDATE

Post by HarryofOz » Fri May 29, 2015 9:45 pm

1964white wrote:Blatter re-elected :(

I suspect the corrupt African nations have voted this little squirt back in
FIFA members will get what they deserve now.
We're going up like there is no gravity!

andywatson
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Posts: 959
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich/UPDATE

Post by andywatson » Sat May 30, 2015 3:04 am

Drs.Dad wrote:I have just read an article in The Scratching Shed, which proposes a different solution to this problem, that of UEFA and the North American bloc withdrawing from FIFA, thereby starving the corrupt organization of what it most desires....... money,

http://www.thescratchingshed.com/2015/0 ... s-nuclear/

Works for me!
:tup:
There was an interview on the radio tonight from some financial guy involved in US football. The first thing he made clear is the US are after FIFAs blood due to the world cup going to Qatar. The Americans feel they have been stitched up royally.

However, what was more interesting was some of the potential ramifications of the US investigation. One of the things that can come out of this is if the corruption is judged to be endemic, and cannot be changed, that FIFA could be designated a criminal organisation (or something similar- I forget the absolute specifics). The impact of this would be no American companies would be able to trade with FIFA in any way. Bang goes a s**t load of money. This guy was saying that even if the US can't bring the top people in FIFA down through plea bargaining (which another barrister said was the FBI methodology, and they have Chuck Blazer working as a super grass), they can still basically cripple the organisation. The US authorities are in a very strong, and unique, position here. Their international companies are major contributors to world football, but at the same time most Americans wouldn't really care too much if the US soccer team didn't compete in the World Cup.

This one will run and run.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 74618
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich/UPDATE

Post by 1964white » Sat May 30, 2015 7:26 am

andywatson wrote:
There was an interview on the radio tonight from some financial guy involved in US football. The first thing he made clear is the US are after FIFAs blood due to the world cup going to Qatar. The Americans feel they have been stitched up royally.

However, what was more interesting was some of the potential ramifications of the US investigation. One of the things that can come out of this is if the corruption is judged to be endemic, and cannot be changed, that FIFA could be designated a criminal organisation (or something similar- I forget the absolute specifics). The impact of this would be no American companies would be able to trade with FIFA in any way. Bang goes a s**t load of money. This guy was saying that even if the US can't bring the top people in FIFA down through plea bargaining (which another barrister said was the FBI methodology, and they have Chuck Blazer working as a super grass), they can still basically cripple the organisation. The US authorities are in a very strong, and unique, position here. Their international companies are major contributors to world football, but at the same time most Americans wouldn't really care too much if the US soccer team didn't compete in the World Cup.

This one will run and run.
I heard a similar interview yesterday :tup:

danhirons
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1296
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: FIFA Officials Arrested In Zurich/UPDATE

Post by danhirons » Sat May 30, 2015 9:02 am

Personally feel UEFA and all the other bodies who don't want Blatter should break away and form their own organisation. So what if there isn't a world cup for a year, all that will be left in FIFA is African and Asian organisations mainly (unsure how S America will have voted) - who won't be drawing in much money anyway. I find it crazy that the African nations get more votes than European ones - doesn't seem fair given the size and influence of countries such as Germany, Spain, France, UK etc.

Post Reply

Advertisment