Byram

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Byram

Post by weasel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:33 pm

lufc1304 wrote:The whole Byram saga looks to have been handled badly. Too much of it in the public arena, either from player/agent or from Cellino/Evans. Surely this should all be kept in house? Had we adopted a similar line with Beckford re not playing if you don't sign, then we could still be languishing in league 1. Maybe Sam had his mind made up all along, but nothing that has reportedly come from inside the club wil have done much, if anything, to convince him to stay. that said, £12k a week is more than enough for a player who looks a shadow of his former self
The main difference re Beckford was that the club could have sold him prior to the remaining 6 months situation. As such the club decided he was more valuable to have to score the goals to get us promoted than to sell him. He was also dropped after a bad run of form after the MU FA Cup game before being selected again near the end of the season.

As for people saying Cellino handled it badly by offering him a wage reduction they need to realise that Cellino wouldn't have seen the Byram debut season so all he was seeing is a player who has been fairly average in the 2 years since Cellino bought the club and is 2nd choice right back behind Berardi (who did sign a new contract) and showed nothing as a winger.
Senor El Weasel

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Genghers wrote: Aye, I know he came on, but this was said after the game. If Wooton is preferred to Sam as a sub RB when Berardi is back next weekend then I'll despair - Scott has done a job filling in at RB, but his game is limited. I think Sam has had it in his mind that he is going to leave all season, but none of the way it's been handled has been aimed at changing that. Cellino as much as Byram has spat out his dummy.
You can't be guaranteeing players games, especially out of form ones. He's not taking the RB position off Berardi, but I'd still prefer him playing on the wing than Mowatt!

Not arguing about his wage - another silly contract negotiation by GFH, and part of the reason we were such a mess when Cellino took over. I think £12k is fair given what we know he can do and in terms of his potential, and I suspect his agent/dad has been whispering in his ear that he deserves more.

To be honest, I can see him going to a Champs team pushing for promotion and getting games. He's unlikely to get into any Prem team who aren't in a relegation scrap...
Agree Derby, Hull or Boro could be interested in Sam although all three clubs have decent RB's, whatever club comes in for Byram does depend on whether he is better than what they already have & can he be a game-changer for them.

Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:32 pm

1964white wrote:Agree Derby, Hull or Boro could be interested in Sam although all three clubs have decent RB's, whatever club comes in for Byram does depend on whether he is better than what they already have & can he be a game-changer for them.
Not sure about that - if they see him as a player with the potential to be a Premiership quality player, then they may want to invest now when he's cheap.
hibbi86 wrote:the thing with the beckford saga is, he was bang inform and people were sniffing around. Sam is not inform and there doesnt seem to be any concrete interest as of yet and i cant imagine much will materialise unit his performances pick up alot.
True there's no one sniffing about (openly) now, but Southampton and Sunderland have made bids over the past couple of seasons, so they may just be waiting until they can pick him up for free/on sale due to his contract running down.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:11 pm

weasel wrote:
As for people saying Cellino handled it badly by offering him a wage reduction they need to realise that Cellino wouldn't have seen the Byram debut season so all he was seeing is a player who has been fairly average in the 2 years since Cellino bought the club and is 2nd choice right back behind Berardi (who did sign a new contract) and showed nothing as a winger.
Great point :tup:

For that reason i'd be more concerned if Berardi wanted a move

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Even if Byram signed a new contract today I wouldn't put him in the strongest starting line up at the moment. Certainly would be 3rd choice full back behind Berardi and Taylor and don't really see him as a better option than others at the club in a right sided midfielder role.
Senor El Weasel

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:56 am

As I have said before, you play your better players. No matter what is going on with regard to contract negotiations, he should be in the first team every week.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:15 am

Gandalf wrote:As I have said before, you play your better players. No matter what is going on with regard to contract negotiations, he should be in the first team every week.
Last night proves that, admittedly he wasn't at his best when Evans arrived but neither were quite a few others who kept their places. If he's not signing a new contract then so be it, in a team perspective it strengthens us, which in turn puts us in a better position, which then helps us attract better players, also if he plays well , he's in the shop window, the better the reviews the better the fee.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:22 am

Gandalf wrote:As I have said before, you play your better players. No matter what is going on with regard to contract negotiations, he should be in the first team every week.

and in their best positions ..agree

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:24 am

gessa wrote:
Last night proves that, admittedly he wasn't at his best when Evans arrived
He was my MOM versus Fulham, in Evans' first game. Only started one more game before last night.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:37 am

Gandalf wrote: He was my MOM versus Fulham, in Evans' first game. Only started one more game before last night.
That game against Blackburn he was awful, the worse game I think I've seen him play, but I did say, there were others playing as badly but only him and Adeyemi paid the price.

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:08 am

His actions at the final whistle last night definitely looked like a last goodbye to the fans at ER. If only we could keep our good young players.

Good luck Sam, wherever you end up.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:19 am

Gandalf wrote:His actions at the final whistle last night definitely looked like a last goodbye to the fans at ER. If only we could keep our good young players.

Good luck Sam, wherever you end up.
We have for nearly two years under Cellino. Byram has looked the player we all know he is of late & as things stand now with our first eleven we are gonna miss him, three goals & a wonderful assist tells the story

Bridcutt's last game on Saturday so our two most influential players gone :( massive headache for Evans

Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:12 pm

Friend of mine in Liverpool says there a lot of chatter on their forums / podcasts that they've offered 5 million for Bryam. Not seen much / any of that anywhere else .... If we can't get him to resign then I think that's a fair fee Considering we'd still get cash because of his age at contract end. Enough to pick up bridcutt who I think is a more important player, then a new CB and striker would be my priority.

Moore at Leicester maybe? He's young, solid at championship level and isn't getting games for them.

gessa
Superstar
Superstar

Post by gessa » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:27 pm

From what I can gather it's either Everton or West Brom for around £2M, Albion apparently have been watching him for 18months and will offer a couple of their youngsters on loan to help seal the deal. Who they are are and how good, I have no idea but if it's the two they loaned to Walsall last year they can sod off.

Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:25 pm

Brader wrote:Considering we'd still get cash because of his age at contract end
No we wouldn't - we have not offered him a better contract than he is currently on, therefore any transfer would not go to a tribunal.

(j) Agreements Between Club & Players
(ii) There shall be no right to a compensation or transfer fee by the previous Club of a Player who has attained the age of 24 years on or before 30th June and whose contract with that Club has expired. If a Club wishes to offer re-engagement to a Player or exercise an option contained in the agreement the following practice shall prevail.
(iii) Within 7 days of the first Saturday in May, or the date of the last competitive Match of the Club’s first team, whichever is the later, the Club must give notice in writing to the Player indicating that either the Club offers a re-engagement or, if appropriate, exercises any option contained in the agreement.
(iv) If the notice offers re-engagement it must specify the period which the Club is prepared to agree and the terms and conditions to apply, which must be the same or not less favourable overall than those which applied during the initial period of employment – or the option period (if applicable).

drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:31 pm

Gandalf wrote: No we wouldn't - we have not offered him a better contract than he is currently on, therefore any transfer would not go to a tribunal.

(j) Agreements Between Club & Players
(ii) There shall be no right to a compensation or transfer fee by the previous Club of a Player who has attained the age of 24 years on or before 30th June and whose contract with that Club has expired. If a Club wishes to offer re-engagement to a Player or exercise an option contained in the agreement the following practice shall prevail.
(iii) Within 7 days of the first Saturday in May, or the date of the last competitive Match of the Club’s first team, whichever is the later, the Club must give notice in writing to the Player indicating that either the Club offers a re-engagement or, if appropriate, exercises any option contained in the agreement.
(iv) If the notice offers re-engagement it must specify the period which the Club is prepared to agree and the terms and conditions to apply, which must be the same or not less favourable overall than those which applied during the initial period of employment – or the option period (if applicable).
"The same or not less favourable". From what I understand we offered a 1-year extension on the same wages, so it qualifies for a tribunal.

jindy30
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by jindy30 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:21 am

That's so sad. Maybe that's why he's be so outstanding in the last 3 games since wolves? He's saying goodbye. I have never seen a professional player want the ball, fester for the ball so much a Byram did agaianst Notts Forest.

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:04 am

With Byram back to his best we're gonna miss young Sam

barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:34 am

Although there was a tweet a couple of days ago from someone in the know that suggested that, even though Liverpool were interested, they understood that Byram was looking more likely to stay...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

1964white

Post by 1964white » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:43 am

barryanorak wrote:Although there was a tweet a couple of days ago from someone in the know that suggested that, even though Liverpool were interested, they understood that Byram was looking more likely to stay...
Truly hope so

Advertisment