New Years Honours.....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 71629
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

New Years Honours.....

Post by 1964white » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:24 am

http://trib.al/1tAmutw

Why were Lee & Law not honoured when they were in their pomp during the 60's/70's ?

So pleased for AP

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20672
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by gessa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:27 am

Watched an interview with Law last night, the man looks awful.


I turned the offer down, would have been a little embarrassing I thought.

Sir Gessa has a nice tone to it though.

User avatar
barryanorak
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3161
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by barryanorak » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:28 am

gessa wrote:Watched an interview with Law last night, the man looks awful.


I turned the offer down, would have been a little embarrassing I thought.

Sir Gessa has a nice tone to it though.

For a sea, perhaps... :wink:
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...


User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20672
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by gessa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:31 am

barryanorak wrote:

For a sea, perhaps... :wink:
:lol: I do have boundaries though. :wink:

User avatar
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14658
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:46 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by HarryofOz » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:36 am

The award of the honours - here in Oz and in England - becomes more and more of a joke each year. It's become a marketing campaign rather than being given to people who deserve it. Lynton Crosby a clear case in point, but he is one of many.
We're going up like there is no gravity!

User avatar
lufc1304
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8094
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by lufc1304 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:11 pm

Saville, Smith, Hall, Harris, they're joining some illustrious company.....! I have more respect for the likes of Danny Boyle and Paul Weller who turned honours down.

Pleased for AP McCoy and Carl Frampton but, as Harry says, the whole honours thing was devalued a long time ago.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by drsdadsotherson » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:00 pm

Whatever your feelings on the honours, sleep well knowing they will always be more valid and meaningful than the self-aggrandising, back slapping ego fest that is the Oscars. At least with the honours list there ARE worthy people being awarded recognition, which makes the handful we might disagree with a more palatable proposition.

As for the likes of Savile, Hall etc, it's easy to criticise choices in retrospect. It's not as if they would have been awarded their honours had their actions been known.

User avatar
John in Louisiana
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by John in Louisiana » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:01 pm

drsdadsotherson wrote:Whatever your feelings on the honours, sleep well knowing they will always be more valid and meaningful than the self-aggrandising, back slapping ego fest that is the Oscars. At least with the honours list there ARE worthy people being awarded recognition, which makes the handful we might disagree with a more palatable proposition.
I don't know that the Oscars are the appropriate comparison. I imagine the Presidential Medal of Freedom award is more apt.

This year's winners included (from entertainment) Gloria and Emilio Estefan, Itzhak Perlman, Stephen Sondheim, Barbra Streisand, James Taylor, and Steven Spielberg. From sports: Willie Mays, and from public service Shirley Chisholm, William Ruckelshaus, and Minoru Yasui.

These people are all more than worthy of being honored on a national level.

User avatar
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by drsdadsotherson » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:15 pm

John in Louisiana wrote:
I don't know that the Oscars are the appropriate comparison. I imagine the Presidential Medal of Freedom award is more apt.

This year's winners included (from entertainment) Gloria and Emilio Estefan, Itzhak Perlman, Stephen Sondheim, Barbra Streisand, James Taylor, and Steven Spielberg. From sports: Willie Mays, and from public service Shirley Chisholm, William Ruckelshaus, and Minoru Yasui.

These people are all more than worthy of being honored on a national level.
The difference between the Oscars and the honours list is clear, I wasn't comparing them because they are equivalents but because they are worlds apart whilst both being a form of recognition. The honours list and the presidential medals are on a par in terms of their recipients and what they have achieved, whereas the Oscars are simply vanity awards by a system that overestimates its own importance.

I think we're on the same page, basically. 8-)

User avatar
John in Louisiana
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2694
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by John in Louisiana » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:16 am

drsdadsotherson wrote: I think we're on the same page, basically. 8-)
I think so, too. 8-)

And as much as I abhor the notion of the divine right of kings, I am very sorry I will never receive a Knighthood. :cry:

User avatar
lufc1304
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8094
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by lufc1304 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:50 pm

drsdadsotherson wrote:Whatever your feelings on the honours, sleep well knowing they will always be more valid and meaningful than the self-aggrandising, back slapping ego fest that is the Oscars. At least with the honours list there ARE worthy people being awarded recognition, which makes the handful we might disagree with a more palatable proposition.

As for the likes of Savile, Hall etc, it's easy to criticise choices in retrospect. It's not as if they would have been awarded their honours had their actions been known.
Thatcher knew all about both Saville and Smith's proclivities, was advised not to, but still sanctioned their honours. Whilst worthy people deserve to be recognised, the establishment is rotten to its core and, as such, honours bestowed by it are tainted, imo.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by drsdadsotherson » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:04 pm

lufc1304 wrote:
Thatcher knew all about both Saville and Smith's proclivities, was advised not to, but still sanctioned their honours. Whilst worthy people deserve to be recognised, the establishment is rotten to its core and, as such, honours bestowed by it are tainted, imo.
I see your point, but it's not fair to those who have done sterling work for our country and the people to be lumped in with the mistakes / examples of poor judgement. Throwing away a sack of rubies because one or two of them are made of paste just doesn't make sense to me.
I just don't think that the institution should be done away with and lost because for the people who work hard and accept the honours it's a huge thing and a just reward. Anyone who doesn't like the idea can and do simply refuse.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 71629
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by 1964white » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:55 pm

drsdadsotherson wrote:
I see your point, but it's not fair to those who have done sterling work for our country and the people to be lumped in with the mistakes / examples of poor judgement. Throwing away a sack of rubies because one or two of them are made of paste just doesn't make sense to me.
I just don't think that the institution should be done away with and lost because for the people who work hard and accept the honours it's a huge thing and a just reward. Anyone who doesn't like the idea can and do simply refuse.
Agree :tup:

Listened to a couple of AP McCoy's interviews. Tony is such a proud man to receive his knighthood, a deserved honour for one our most deserved & humble sportsmen

Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by Drs.Dad » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:09 pm

lufc1304 wrote:
Thatcher knew all about both Saville and Smith's proclivities, was advised not to, but still sanctioned their honours. Whilst worthy people deserve to be recognised, the establishment is rotten to its core and, as such, honours bestowed by it are tainted, imo.
Perhaps we should also be looking at the people who put these characters forward for these singular honours, usually on a political basis. Cyril Smith will have been put forward by his Liberal/Lib Dem party leaders. There can really be no reason why Maggie should have been so supportive of Savile, but she was, and she wasn't the only one...... Pope John Paul II made him Knight Commander of the Pontifical Equestrian Order of Saint Gregory the Great – the Roman Catholic Church’s highest honour.
Perhaps when monsters like these are exposed, those who recommend them are also investigated on the whys and wherefores of their promotions of these sick brutes.
:evil:
Image

User avatar
lufc1304
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8094
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by lufc1304 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:19 am

drsdadsotherson wrote:
I see your point, but it's not fair to those who have done sterling work for our country and the people to be lumped in with the mistakes / examples of poor judgement. Throwing away a sack of rubies because one or two of them are made of paste just doesn't make sense to me.
I just don't think that the institution should be done away with and lost because for the people who work hard and accept the honours it's a huge thing and a just reward. Anyone who doesn't like the idea can and do simply refuse.
That's the rub,isn't it? There ARE many worthy recipients of honours, but I stand by my belief that the system has been tainted by the honours bestowed on the wholly unworthy. Perhaps an independent body (if such a thing exists?) should scrutinise nominations and be empowered to block where there is concern?
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
lufc1304
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8094
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by lufc1304 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:21 am

Drs.Dad wrote:
Perhaps we should also be looking at the people who put these characters forward for these singular honours, usually on a political basis. Cyril Smith will have been put forward by his Liberal/Lib Dem party leaders. There can really be no reason why Maggie should have been so supportive of Savile, but she was, and she wasn't the only one...... Pope John Paul II made him Knight Commander of the Pontifical Equestrian Order of Saint Gregory the Great – the Roman Catholic Church’s highest honour.
Perhaps when monsters like these are exposed, those who recommend them are also investigated on the whys and wherefores of their promotions of these sick brutes.
:evil:
Very good point, DD, I don't recall anyone who championed these animals being taken to task on their support/promotion for monsters
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 11:44 pm

Re: New Years Honours.....

Post by drsdadsotherson » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:14 pm

lufc1304 wrote:
That's the rub,isn't it? There ARE many worthy recipients of honours, but I stand by my belief that the system has been tainted by the honours bestowed on the wholly unworthy. Perhaps an independent body (if such a thing exists?) should scrutinise nominations and be empowered to block where there is concern?
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Post Reply

Advertisment