EU.....In or Out - RESULT

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
rab_rant

Re: EU.....In or Out - RESULT

Post by rab_rant »

Ronan wrote:The advantages of Brexit

But as long as we have unbent bananas and proper sounding spread....that's more important !!!.

Rab...please !!!!! :duno:
You are missing the point the EU wants its fingers in everybody's pie.
They want to regulate everything from bananas to fishing boats
and they do it with quotas and tariffs. It would take you 3 months
of solid reading day and night to get through all their rules and regulations.
These laws put up barriers to trade and do not make things simpler.
Switzerland and Norway are the richest countries in Europe
and the people there have a high standard of living. They have not
suffered from not being in the EU. In fact their economies may have
benefited, and that is an undisputable fact.

P.S. Finland used to have tremendous trade with Russia but since the EU have put sanctions
on trading with Russia then milk and dairy products from Finland into Russia have been banned.
It is just interference, and to call the EU the bastion of free trade is just a sham.
Last edited by rab_rant on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Ronan wrote:The advantages of Brexit

Millions of jobs could be lost as global manufacturers move to lower-cost EU countries. Britain's large foreign-owned car industry would shift into the EU and sectors linked to EU membership such as aerospace would also suffer. Airbus production could move to France and Germany, pro-EU commentators claim

The UK's contribution to the EU budget is a drop in the ocean compared with the benefits to business of being in the single market, says pressure group Business for New Europe. It could be costly for UK exporters if they face EU legal arguments against UK standards - there could be a lot more court cases.
The UK could lose tax revenue if companies dealing with the eurozone, especially banks, move from the City to the EU.

The EU is the UK's main trading partner, worth more than £400bn a year, or 52% of the total trade in goods and services.
"The UK is always likely to be better positioned to secure beneficial trade deals as a member of the EU than as an individual and isolated player," says Labour's Europe spokeswoman Emma Reynolds. The EU is currently negotiating with the US to create the world's biggest free trade area - something that will be highly beneficial to British business.

Stripped of influence in Brussels, Berlin and Paris, Britain would find itself increasingly ignored by Washington and sidelined on big transnational issues such as the environment, security and trade.
America and other allies want Britain to remain in the EU. The UK risks becoming a maverick, isolated state if it leaves

Tax avoidance and evasion will reach crippling levels as our economy becomes increasingly wholly owned by foreign multinationals that make tax avoidance in Britain central to their business strategy

Britons benefit from EU employment laws and social protections, which would be stripped away. Withdrawal from the European Arrest Warrant could mean delays for the UK in extraditing suspects from other European countries; and the UK already has some opt-outs from EU labour law, including the Working Time Directive.

But as long as we have unbent bananas and proper sounding spread....that's more important !!!.

Rab...please !!!!! :duno:

A lot you say uses the word could, this word along with may and possibly have been used by Osborne in particular but non of it he could he back up with evidence, Nissan have stated they aren't moving abroad non of the others have said they are. Someone pointed out last night that around 150 jobs were being lost at Southampton by the cruise companies as they will be moving the operation to Hamburg in September, stating this was the tip of the iceberg, someone who represented the cruise companies had to explain to the fella it was going ahead regardless of the result on Friday, the decision had been made to move the jobs months ago also the job losses totalled 50 not 150 and most of those were to be offered jobs elsewhere in the companies, lots of mis-truths being spread.
The fact that 52% of our exports go to the EU is because of the shackles they put on us, we now have a whole world we can trade with under our own rules, which should see that market grow considerably, Canada are bursting a gut to deal with us, they are one country that have stated how frustrating it is to deal with the EU, every single decision having to be agreed by 28 Countries,the process is far too slow, they much prefer to deal with single markets.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

gessa wrote:A lot you say uses the word could, this word along with may and possibly have been used by Osborne in particular but non of it he could he back up with evidence, Nissan have stated they aren't moving abroad non of the others have said they are. Someone pointed out last night that around 150 jobs were being lost at Southampton by the cruise companies as they will be moving the operation to Hamburg in September, stating this was the tip of the iceberg, someone who represented the cruise companies had to explain to the fella it was going ahead regardless of the result on Friday, the decision had been made to move the jobs months ago also the job losses totalled 50 not 150 and most of those were to be offered jobs elsewhere in the companies, lots of mis-truths being spread.
The fact that 52% of our exports go to the EU is because of the shackles they put on us, we now have a whole world we can trade with under our own rules, which should see that market grow considerably, Canada are bursting a gut to deal with us, they are one country that have stated how frustrating it is to deal with the EU, every single decision having to be agreed by 28 Countries,the process is far too slow, they much prefer to deal with single markets.
I bow to superior knowledge
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

rab_rant wrote:You are missing the point the EU wants its fingers in everybody's pie.
They want to regulate everything from bananas to fishing boats
and they do it with quotas and tariffs. It would take you 3 months
of solid reading day and night to get through all their rules and regulations.
These laws put up barriers to trade and do not make things simpler.
Switzerland and Norway are the richest countries in Europe
and the people there have a high standard of living. They have not
suffered from not being in the EU. In fact their economies may have
benefited, and that is an undisputable fact.

P.S. Finland used to have tremendous trade with Russia but since the EU have put sanctions
on trading with Russia then milk and dairy products from Finland into Russia have been banned.
It is just interference, and to called the EU the bastion of free trade is just a sham.
And i bow to yours too...i hope you are right
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
gessa

Post by gessa »

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has told the BBC that Holyrood could try to block the UK's exit from the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... s/36633371

Had a feeling since Friday that this isn't done and dusted just yet.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

What this somewhat heated debate highlights to me is that this referendum has had the desired effect as far as the elite are concerned. Instead of standing up united against this rotten govt and its cronies in the city, the masses, those with most to lose irrespective of in or out, are at each others throats. Divide and conquer, and they haven't even had to get their hands dirty
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

gessa wrote:Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has told the BBC that Holyrood could try to block the UK's exit from the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... s/36633371

Had a feeling since Friday that this isn't done and dusted just yet.
I like Nicola Sturgeon but, even though I think the country has made a huge mistake, the will of the people has to be respected. The idea of blocking the exit, or having a second referendum to get the answer they want, smacks of sour grapes. Though I note with interest that no-one has mentioned actually triggering Article 50. Makes me wonder if the Leave camp actually ever thought they could win, and now they have, they're not entirely sure what to do??
gessa

Post by gessa »

lufc1304 wrote:I like Nicola Sturgeon but, even though I think the country has made a huge mistake, the will of the people has to be respected. The idea of blocking the exit, or having a second referendum to get the answer they want, smacks of sour grapes. Though I note with interest that no-one has mentioned actually triggering Article 50. Makes me wonder if the Leave camp actually ever thought they could win, and now they have, they're not entirely sure what to do??

Not too sure what they can do Nick, Cameron is still PM and will be until October, everything they want to do will have to go through government still, Osborne should resign or be sacked tomorrow and a new chancellor installed with immediate effect.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

Aye, good point, nothing was ever going to change overnight. Agree re Osborne, though I suspect he will hang on until October, when him and the pig-abuser can waltz off to their country piles hand in hand
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

How much did the UK pay into the EU?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

faaip wrote:How much did the UK pay into the EU?
£18 Billion per year. But we get a £5 Billion rebate. And grants back into the UK from the EU are roughly £4 Billion. So we are a net contributor of around £9 Billion.

drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

That's all well and good, but it doesn't factor in money that comes back in through business. It's like shopping, you spend the money, but you get something in return as well.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Yes ddos, but the reverse is also true - they benefit from money we spend too, probably more so as I think we are a net importer. Maybe I'm wrong on that but I think it has been so for more years than not.

Regardless, it's fair to say that, from the figures Adam used (and I'm not querying their veracity), we pay net only 25 million pounds a day, not the oft-quoted 50 million, for the privilege of them telling us with whom we can and cannot do business. I'll grant you that phrase is simplistic but I think there's much truth in it, especially when you consider Rab's summation of how Switzerland and Norway are much better off because they're free to trade with whom they want without EU restrictions or the overhead of the EU itself.

This restrictive practice is why I wanted out, with a side order of over-immigration thrown in (courtesy of Blair and Brown and not reversed sufficiently, if at all, by Cameron).

Left to our own devices we could have a much more vibrant and free trade (which, ironically, is what the old Common Market was all about). Instead of joining the Common Market and sanctioning the monolith this EU has become, with all its pretentious common army and whatever else their ambitions encompass this week, we should have aimed for EFTA and stuck at that (remember them, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland), the old Commonwealth and whatever else we could scare up. Bear in mind the EU still needs us as much as we need them, and that will continue, only this time we won't have to pay a surcharge. Moreover, if we do have to pay any surcharge for our exports, so will they for our imports - and if we're a net importer from the EU……………….

This all depends on the brand of leadership we get next. Are they going to undermine what we want or embrace it as fresh opportunity?

There I’m leaving it because I don’t know the answer to the previous paragraph either.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

drsdadsotherson wrote:That's all well and good, but it doesn't factor in money that comes back in through business. It's like shopping, you spend the money, but you get something in return as well.
I'm not denying that, I was merely answering the question asked.

We do run a goods and services deficit with the EU though.
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

Comparing us to other countries is pointless because our situation is very different. Norway and Switzerland have been dealing with the EU/EEC on that basis for a long time and neither have ever had their economy based almost entirely as a gateway. Nor have they been faced with suddenly being forced to negotiate new contracts with just about the entire planet due to a status change.
As I said a long time ago, the countries we negotiate with now will get the best deal for them because we are now a much smaller player on the world stage with less trade influence. Yes, we still have some, but not as much. The rest of the world has us over a barrel.

It's as pointless as comparing us to Malawi and Burundi, the two poorest nations. Also non-EU.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

The country is in one hell of a mess and we are at each others throats.......it's all very depressing :(

Perhaps Georgie Boy will kiss it all better tomorrow when he makes his statement from his offshore bunker :roll:
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Ronan wrote:The country is in one hell of a mess and we are at each others throats.......it's all very depressing :(

Perhaps Georgie Boy will kiss it all better tomorrow when he makes his statement from his offshore bunker :roll:
Yes, you're right and you've been the big instigator in the arguing, you've acted like a big baby in this thread. Absolute disgrace
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:Yes, you're right and you've been the big instigator in the arguing, you've acted like a big baby in this thread. Absolute disgrace
Aye....but a wee bit of aggro always stimulates :-D
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Ronan wrote:

Aye....but a wee bit of aggro always stimulates :-D
So does a h**djob, but maybe that's not recognised in Brussels as it involves honest stimulation.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Norm wrote:So does a h**djob, but maybe that's not recognised in Brussels as it involves honest stimulation.
:-D