Leeds v Blackburn.

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Leeds v Blackburn.

Post by gessa »

A game we really need to win now but omens aren't great, the performances and results against Blackburn at E R haven't been great the past few years. Don't think my choice of team will be what he goes with but it's what I'd like to see . Let Mowatt play his natural game before all his hope goes with constantly been played out of position. I think he will stick with Wood and Green.

Silvestri

Ayling Bartley Jansson Taylor

O'Kane Bridcutt

Roofe Mowatt Dallas

Antonsson
hector

Re: Leeds v Blackburn.

Post by hector »

mostly agree with your choice there Ges, but would put Coyle in right back, and see if sack-o could work on the left....
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hearing Green, Ayling, Mowatt, Wood were all poor once again & young Phillips struggled too so I would go with :

Silvestri

Coyle Bartley Jansson Taylor

Sacko O'Kane Bridcutt Vieira Hernandez

Antonsson

Subs : Green, Ayling, Cooper, Murphy, Phillips, Roofe, Wood
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

1964white wrote:Hearing Green, Ayling, Mowatt, Wood were all poor once again & young Phillips struggled too so I would go with :

Silvestri

Coyle Bartley Jansson Taylor

Sacko O'Kane Bridcutt Vieira Hernandez

Antonsson

Subs : Green, Ayling, Cooper, Murphy, Phillips, Roofe, Wood
The back 4 (apart from Ayling did well yesterday) Pontus was particularly impressive so to be honest Leon I would hope that we aren't going to play 3 defensive minded midfielders in front of the back 4. Murphy is an interesting one I cannot believe he has played just one game under Monk of all our central midfielders I thought he would suit Monk's style of football the best. We could have played until Christmas yesterday and still not scored it was one of those games I just hope this doesn't become a habit as that is the first time this season I have thought we haven't looked like scoring, after having that feeling 6-7 times at Elland Road last season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gary Shaw wrote:The back 4 (apart from Ayling did well yesterday) Pontus was particularly impressive so to be honest Leon I would hope that we aren't going to play 3 defensive minded midfielders in front of the back 4. Murphy is an interesting one I cannot believe he has played just one game under Monk of all our central midfielders I thought he would suit Monk's style of football the best. We could have played until Christmas yesterday and still not scored it was one of those games I just hope this doesn't become a habit as that is the first time this season I have thought we haven't looked like scoring, after having that feeling 6-7 times at Elland Road last season.
So ten minutes added-on-time was nowhere near enough Gary :wink:

My selection process of playing three defensive midfielders would be to release either Vieira or O'Kane into a more forward role when required as both like to run with the ball.

Sacko, Hernandez & Antonsson should give us plenty of movement in forward positions, whether they have enough quality with their final ball/taking our opportunities is debatable right now !
gessa

Post by gessa »

hector wrote:mostly agree with your choice there Ges, but would put Coyle in right back, and see if sack-o could work on the left....
Very nearly went with Coyle but keeping the same back 4 prevented it.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Where was Dallas on Saturday ?! Dont understand how Monk is handling him. He said he felt Dallas had a hectic summer what with Euro's and getting married so rested him for a game or two, then played him v Luton where he was arguably, Denton aside, MoTM for us, yet he's hardly had a look in again since then.

To be honest, I dont understand what Monk is thinking a lot of the time. Hernandez ( apart from Morecombe game) has never been given the role that surely he was bought to do, i.e. play in that No 10 role, Mowatt is being played left wing yet Roofe who is much more suited to that is on the bench ?!

I want Monk to succeed as I am fed up with this manager merry go round of last few seasons but he needs to start making some sense of he's selections and also tactics as I, like many others, cannot see what our style of play is supposed to be ?

Popey was spot on to ask him that and Monk's response was very very petulant. He needs to man up and take sensible questions on the chin and give proper answers !!

God forbid we lose to Blackburn tomorrow.......being bottom would surely see MC getting that all too familar axe out again :-(
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:Where was Dallas on Saturday ?! Dont understand how Monk is handling him. He said he felt Dallas had a hectic summer what with Euro's and getting married so rested him for a game or two, then played him v Luton where he was arguably, Denton aside, MoTM for us, yet he's hardly had a look in again since then.

To be honest, I dont understand what Monk is thinking a lot of the time. Hernandez ( apart from Morecombe game) has never been given the role that surely he was bought to do, i.e. play in that No 10 role, Mowatt is being played left wing yet Roofe who is much more suited to that is on the bench ?!

I want Monk to succeed as I am fed up with this manager merry go round of last few seasons but he needs to start making some sense of he's selections and also tactics as I, like many others, cannot see what our style of play is supposed to be ?

Popey was spot on to ask him that and Monk's response was very very petulant. He needs to man up and take sensible questions on the chin and give proper answers !!

God forbid we lose to Blackburn tomorrow.......being bottom would surely see MC getting that all too familar axe out again :-(
Didn't hear the Popey interview

Did Monk spit his dummy out then Tom ?
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

He really did Leon........some very sarcastic answers especially when Popey asked a perfectly reasonable question as to what our style of play was supposed to be.

The guy is feeling the pressure big time and is really under the cosh you can sense that but as I said he needs to help himself by making much better selection choices team wise and also when subs are required !

By the way who is Tom ?! LOL
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote:He really did Leon........some very sarcastic answers especially when Popey asked a perfectly reasonable question as to what our style of play was supposed to be.

The guy is feeling the pressure big time and is really under the cosh you can sense that but as I said he needs to help himself by making much better selection choices team wise and also when subs are required !

By the way who is Tom ?! LOL
Not you mate, for some strange reason i thought i was replying to Genghers

I did hear his Kirwin/Gray interview & he did seem to justify the horror show by describing the game as "both teams were set up to cancel each other out & there was nothing between the teams apart from the goal". What a lot of nonsense, sounds to me he is making excuses for the way Huddersfield approached the game, the truth is Monk & his players were clueless how to change things on the pitch, showing no inventiveness whatsoever !
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Who'd have thought we'd be having a six pointer so early in the season but that's how I see this game, lose and Preston get a point then we'll be dumped to the bottom of the table, psychologically this could have serious consequences.

Monk needs to play both Roofe an Sacko as supply with Antonnson up top and drop Wood to the bench. Mowatt as LM on Saturday was ridiculous when we are awash with wide men. If you don't get the ball in the box to a mobile striker you'll never score.
Blackburn are poor so there's no excuse to be negative, "get at em" is what I'd be screaming at the team. A MUST win for me and Monk or Massimo will once again be sharpening his axe.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Couldnt agree more Rich and this practice of always playing 2 holding players at home ( as well as away) , has to cease.
We seem totally transfixed by this system of play. I dont care if Huddersfield were flaming top of the league, we dont need two players sitting there in front of the back four. This is where we lost the game for me, Monk was scared of losing more than he wanted to win !! Just cos the opposition were top doesnt mean we cant attack the. This is Elland Road for god sake !
gessa

Post by gessa »

Monk pre match

Phil Hay
Monk: "My opinion on the game on Saturday was that it was very fine margins. Both teams were trying not to lose the game." #lufclive
Monk on Blackburn: "Each game is as important as the next but results haven't been great. There's no getting away from that." #lufclive
Monk on getting a first home win: "We need to go and do it. There can't be anymore waiting around for it." #lufclive
Monk: "I can promise that there's not a group working harder than we are. But we have to transfer that onto the pitch." #lufclive
Monk: "We've had spells and Sheffield Wednesday was a game where we got a full performance to the level we expect." #lufclive
Monk: "The levels have to be raised by all of us. I'm confident that they will." #lufclive
Monk: "If you look at the Championship, the teams who do well in it tend to have been together for a period of time." #lufclive
Monk on questions about his job: "That's the nature of my job but I don't focus on it. That's the truth." #lufclive
Monk: "I speak to the owner near enough every day. He's been great and very supportive."
Monk: "It's not the start to the season we wanted. That's obvious." #lufclive
Monk: "I've proved in the past that I can be successful and at a higher level than this. You have to believe in what you're doing" #lufclive
Monk: "Are we at our best attacking wise? We haven't got it to a level where we need to be consistently." #lufclive
Monk says O'Kane is ready. Everyone is fit for Blackburn game, apart from Berardi. #lufclive
Monk said he would have liked another striker before the window closed but still thinks he has options who "will score goals in this league"
Monk conceded that the identity he wants his team to show isn't really coming through yet. But said it will take time to develop. #lufclive
Monk admitted that the current form can't be allowed to set in. "We need to get results. That's obvious." #lufclive
Monk said Dallas is in a good place and coming back to his best, despite being out of squad on Sat. Said again that he's an important player
Asked about Matt Grimes, who hasn't really figured this season. Monk said he's stuck behind other midfielders in the pecking order #lufclive
Berardi likely to start full training early next week.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good news on Gaetano, a proper full-back :tup:
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Without stating the obvious GM has problems! Not necessarily just because of the results but because he seems no nearer knowing his best team / formation than he was on the opening day of the season. Always think that managers do better with several "must plays" in the squad and before the HT game I reckon he had just 2 - Bridcutt and Taylor, there could then be cases made for a variety of formations and players to fill those other spots all with a decent justification but no real stand out option.

Back 4 seems to have performed well against HT, so early days, but would suggest that line up has the feeling of being the basis of a settled back 4 (with Berardi in for Ayling most likely), from there I reckon you have to work on getting your proven players in the team, that means Hernandez and O'Kane in and if he's deemed up to speed I would include Dallas. That leaves the Front man and RM - for out and out pace I'd have Sacko and up front I'd probably go Antonsson because Wood doesn't seem great as a lone striker. For the Keeper I'd go with Green, just on the experience basis although in truth there seems very little between any of our keepers.

So I'd go
GK - Green
LB - Taylor
CB - Jansson
CB - Bartley
RB - Ayling
LM - Dallas
CM - O'Kane
CM - Bridcutt
RM - Sacko
CF - Antonsson
CAM - Hernandez

Give plenty of licence for Sacko and Dallas to get up in support, if that's not working and Antonsson is too isolated I'd go back to 4-4-2 and bring Wood on, if Hernandez is off it give Mowatt a go there.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

monk to be gone before xmas looks likely!
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Blackburn are a poor side, similar to ourselves and like us shipping goals we should put the pressure on them from the off and go for the throat especially as we are at home, Monk may well be out of a job come the morning if we loose so throw caution to the wind and go for it 424

Silversti
Bridcutt OKane
Dallas Wood Antonsson Roofe
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Ratscoot wrote:Blackburn are a poor side, similar to ourselves and like us shipping goals we should put the pressure on them from the off and go for the throat especially as we are at home, Monk may well be out of a job come the morning if we loose so throw caution to the wind and go for it 424

Silversti
Bridcutt OKane
Dallas Wood Antonsson Roofe
424 that is old Skool. That was a system back in the day
I loved it, but you had to have a good engine in the midfield
to protect the back four and to support the attack
Blood and guts days... Lets not pussy foot around.
Give us the excitement back in our football.
It's football Jim but not as we know it.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Without stating the obvious GM has problems! Not necessarily just because of the results but because he seems no nearer knowing his best team / formation than he was on the opening day of the season. Always think that managers do better with several "must plays" in the squad and before the HT game I reckon he had just 2 - Bridcutt and Taylor, there could then be cases made for a variety of formations and players to fill those other spots all with a decent justification but no real stand out option.

Back 4 seems to have performed well against HT, so early days, but would suggest that line up has the feeling of being the basis of a settled back 4 (with Berardi in for Ayling most likely), from there I reckon you have to work on getting your proven players in the team, that means Hernandez and O'Kane in and if he's deemed up to speed I would include Dallas. That leaves the Front man and RM - for out and out pace I'd have Sacko and up front I'd probably go Antonsson because Wood doesn't seem great as a lone striker. For the Keeper I'd go with Green, just on the experience basis although in truth there seems very little between any of our keepers.

So I'd go
GK - Green
LB - Taylor
CB - Jansson
CB - Bartley
RB - Ayling
LM - Dallas
CM - O'Kane
CM - Bridcutt
RM - Sacko
CF - Antonsson
CAM - Hernandez

Give plenty of licence for Sacko and Dallas to get up in support, if that's not working and Antonsson is too isolated I'd go back to 4-4-2 and bring Wood on, if Hernandez is off it give Mowatt a go there.
Give this man a prize - that team is correct.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Oh No!!! Steve McClaren in the stands.