today I have been mostly listening to..............

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Re: today I have been mostly listening to..............

Post by NorfolkWhite »

gessa wrote::?

Glad you enjoyed them mate, never known them do that before.
Very enjoyable - one of my top three of the weekend, there are some Youtube clips of the Springsteen cover if you fancy a watch (not from GM though)
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Just about back up to full speed after long festival weekend, done a tot up and this was our 6th visit to GM since 2010 and each year they have managed just to tweak and improve things each time whilst keeping the same feel to the place. Weather in the Brecon Beacons was pretty kind apart from the torrential downpour on Sunday through the Conor Oberst set where I was about 3 rows from the front with no cover....well never mind it would have been busier if it was sunny I suppose!
Thought I would post up a quick summary of the bands and performances we managed to take in.

Thursday

Evening started with Badbadnotgood, one for the Jazz fans amongst you, great musicianship but jazz not really my bag, could appreciate what was being done without truly being into it.
This was followed by Ride who took me back to my youth and did what Ride do, heard someone say that they seemed like a Ride tribute band which is a bit unfair but I must admit they didn’t have the same intensity as first time round or is that just my memory playing tricks.

Friday

Was a quiet day due to self inflicted misery from getting carried away at the beer festival the day before! The day did however bring one of the highlights in Hurray for the Riff Raff (thanks Gessa for the tip off) who played fairly early on the mainstage meaning not too much of a crush so we could just chill and enjoy the American folk-rock. Not a band I knew anything about but will certainly be checking their albums out.
Followed this up with The Big Moon (apparently Mercury Nominated) who played the Far Out stage which is a covered marquee. Got off to a bit of a ropey start and sounded a little off key to me but things improved and all the little faults seemed part of the fun, certainly not polished but feel good music that comes across well live.
Saturday
Having recovered on the Friday had a pretty full day started off by Pictish Trail on the main stage. PT is a GM ever present over the 15 years and I’ve seen him before performing with other artists (James Yorkston and Sweet Baboo) – always dynamic on stage giving 100% to the electro-folk set, the sort of artist you want to like.
Followed this up with a stint in the Walled Garden (small outdoor stage) for Warhaus / Aldous Harding. Warhaus are a Belgian band with the lead singer certainly having taken his cues from Nick Cave and he pulls it off well, lyrically great and worth a listen. Aldous Harding then provided a set of wonderful atmospheric folk that worked well on such a small stage, typically GM type performance.
Returned to main stage for a run The Wave Pictures, This is the Kit and Lampchop. TWP are a Mark Reilly fave which is usually a good recommendation and they didn’t disappoint, funky indie beats with a dose of melancholy – so good Mrs NW went down the stage afterwards bought a CD and got a selfie with the band :) Can’t remember too much about the TITK set, recognised a couple of the songs but I must have gone to the bar because I must confess to not remembering too much else. Lampchop did what they do, friend of mine is a big fan, but it was all just too laid back for me – I’m sure if you like their stuff it would have been great but I’m not sure it was going to convert you.
Not seeing the LC set through we ditched and went off to see another Gessa recommendation – Trembling Bells in the Walled Garden again – much more like it, a cross between Hawkwind and Susie and the Banshees, great stuff.
Followed this with a return to the main stage for Michael Kiwanuka – very polished performance, great voice, suggestions he’s the new Marvin Gaye show the sort of performer he is, great set.

Sunday

Milled around a bit early on and caught Holly Macve/Andy Shauf and a bit of Richard Dawson first two were very chilled out and a bit of a side show whilst we lazed about and had a beer – seemed nice enough but wasn’t getting my full attention. RD came on recommendation and was in the Far Out tent – it was rammed and I never really got in to it so bailed and went back to the main stage for Conor Oberst. I’m biased here as a big fan but a brilliant set – even stood out in torrential downpour to take it in. If you’ve not come across the guy he’s performed under various guises but (IMHO) most notably Brighteyes…..not the cheeriest but lyrically brilliant.
Followed this on with Julian Cope the Sleaford Mods….Cope was thoroughly entertaining and had plenty to say for himself, a bit like an audience with Julian Cope with a bit of music thrown in. Sleaford Mods were a revelation for me, brilliant set full of energy and seemed to give the songs another dimension to just hearing them played, one of those bands that seem fall in to place when you see them live.
Thought we would finish out the festival be taking in P J Harvey – I’ve read reviews of her set which are universally great, but, it just didn’t do it for me – thought it was a bit clean and clinical with annoying pauses between tracks which seemed to stunt any flow. Watched about 40 minutes and then made our way up to watch the end of Saint Etienne must admit I was about done by then but it was a pleasant enough way to finish.
gessa

Post by gessa »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Just about back up to full speed after long festival weekend, done a tot up and this was our 6th visit to GM since 2010 and each year they have managed just to tweak and improve things each time whilst keeping the same feel to the place. Weather in the Brecon Beacons was pretty kind apart from the torrential downpour on Sunday through the Conor Oberst set where I was about 3 rows from the front with no cover....well never mind it would have been busier if it was sunny I suppose!
Thought I would post up a quick summary of the bands and performances we managed to take in.

Thursday

Evening started with Badbadnotgood, one for the Jazz fans amongst you, great musicianship but jazz not really my bag, could appreciate what was being done without truly being into it.
This was followed by Ride who took me back to my youth and did what Ride do, heard someone say that they seemed like a Ride tribute band which is a bit unfair but I must admit they didn’t have the same intensity as first time round or is that just my memory playing tricks.

Friday

Was a quiet day due to self inflicted misery from getting carried away at the beer festival the day before! The day did however bring one of the highlights in Hurray for the Riff Raff (thanks Gessa for the tip off) who played fairly early on the mainstage meaning not too much of a crush so we could just chill and enjoy the American folk-rock. Not a band I knew anything about but will certainly be checking their albums out.
Followed this up with The Big Moon (apparently Mercury Nominated) who played the Far Out stage which is a covered marquee. Got off to a bit of a ropey start and sounded a little off key to me but things improved and all the little faults seemed part of the fun, certainly not polished but feel good music that comes across well live.
Saturday
Having recovered on the Friday had a pretty full day started off by Pictish Trail on the main stage. PT is a GM ever present over the 15 years and I’ve seen him before performing with other artists (James Yorkston and Sweet Baboo) – always dynamic on stage giving 100% to the electro-folk set, the sort of artist you want to like.
Followed this up with a stint in the Walled Garden (small outdoor stage) for Warhaus / Aldous Harding. Warhaus are a Belgian band with the lead singer certainly having taken his cues from Nick Cave and he pulls it off well, lyrically great and worth a listen. Aldous Harding then provided a set of wonderful atmospheric folk that worked well on such a small stage, typically GM type performance.
Returned to main stage for a run The Wave Pictures, This is the Kit and Lampchop. TWP are a Mark Reilly fave which is usually a good recommendation and they didn’t disappoint, funky indie beats with a dose of melancholy – so good Mrs NW went down the stage afterwards bought a CD and got a selfie with the band :) Can’t remember too much about the TITK set, recognised a couple of the songs but I must have gone to the bar because I must confess to not remembering too much else. Lampchop did what they do, friend of mine is a big fan, but it was all just too laid back for me – I’m sure if you like their stuff it would have been great but I’m not sure it was going to convert you.
Not seeing the LC set through we ditched and went off to see another Gessa recommendation – Trembling Bells in the Walled Garden again – much more like it, a cross between Hawkwind and Susie and the Banshees, great stuff.
Followed this with a return to the main stage for Michael Kiwanuka – very polished performance, great voice, suggestions he’s the new Marvin Gaye show the sort of performer he is, great set.

Sunday

Milled around a bit early on and caught Holly Macve/Andy Shauf and a bit of Richard Dawson first two were very chilled out and a bit of a side show whilst we lazed about and had a beer – seemed nice enough but wasn’t getting my full attention. RD came on recommendation and was in the Far Out tent – it was rammed and I never really got in to it so bailed and went back to the main stage for Conor Oberst. I’m biased here as a big fan but a brilliant set – even stood out in torrential downpour to take it in. If you’ve not come across the guy he’s performed under various guises but (IMHO) most notably Brighteyes…..not the cheeriest but lyrically brilliant.
Followed this on with Julian Cope the Sleaford Mods….Cope was thoroughly entertaining and had plenty to say for himself, a bit like an audience with Julian Cope with a bit of music thrown in. Sleaford Mods were a revelation for me, brilliant set full of energy and seemed to give the songs another dimension to just hearing them played, one of those bands that seem fall in to place when you see them live.
Thought we would finish out the festival be taking in P J Harvey – I’ve read reviews of her set which are universally great, but, it just didn’t do it for me – thought it was a bit clean and clinical with annoying pauses between tracks which seemed to stunt any flow. Watched about 40 minutes and then made our way up to watch the end of Saint Etienne must admit I was about done by then but it was a pleasant enough way to finish.
Seems like you had a great weekend mate , glad you enjoyed those couple of recommendations, HftRR should definitely be bigger. The next festival we're doing in September, The Trembling bells have just been added to so looking forward to that.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

For all our beautiful ladies on here

Swan, Miss SW, Lulu, BB the young lady & my beautiful dearest Jill (Mrs 64) :luv:

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sometimes you have to go back to where it all started for me that was 1972 and Blue Oyster Cult. I was 10 and I "found" music

this was the song and this version is from 75 and is the best

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote:For all our beautiful ladies on here

Swan, Miss SW, Lulu, BB the young lady & my beautiful dearest Jill (Mrs 64) :luv:

Thank You 64, what a beautiful song. Listened to it twice and then played it for Mr Swan. He said "good song that" (he loves his music) Thank You once again :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote:Thank You 64, what a beautiful song. Listened to it twice and then played it for Mr Swan. He said "good song that" (he loves his music) Thank You once again :-D
The album is called 'O' & you can buy a scondhand copy off Amazon for only 50p

Four players voted for this 5 star album in our Best Album poll, Ges Nick, Durly & myself all love it.
It was a slow-burner then either Sarah Kennedy or Terry Wogan on Radio 2 latched onto it, the song Cannonball was released & then album sold bucket loads.

One of the greatest singer-songwriter albums of all-time imo with the supreme Lisa Hannigan beautiful voice making this a majestic piece of work such a gorgeous album
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Here are four more from this little gem of an album

whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Thanks Leon, weve got friends over this weekend, out for a meal this evening and then we're going over to Lowestoft tomorrow to see my lovely Jane in concert :luv: (again) :-D I'll get Lee to do something technical so we can have a listen on Monday over dinner when everyone's gone home.....
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Absolute Radio 80's....my era :-D
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
1964white

Post by 1964white »

On my playlist, albums over the last few weeks

Nadine Shah 'Love Your Dum & Mad

PJ Harvey 'Uh Huh Her'

The Doors 'Strange Days

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Alice In Chains 'Jar Of Flies/Sap

Jimi Hendrix 'Are You Experienced

Joni Mitchell 'Hejira'

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Neil Young 'Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

The Clash 'The Clash

Billie Holiday 'Lady In Satin'

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Counting Crows 'Recovering The Satellites'

The Beatles 'Yellow Submarine'

David Bowie 'Lets Dance'

1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Doors 'Waiting For The Sun

Marvin Gaye -'Lets Get It On'

Elvis Costello 'Almost Blue'

gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:On my playlist, albums over the last few weeks

Nadine Shah 'Love Your Dum & Mad

PJ Harvey 'Uh Huh Her'

The Doors 'Strange Days

What do you thi k of Nadine Shah al um, you never got back to me on it.
New album out last week, I've not played it yet.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:What do you think of the Nadine Shah album, you never got back to me on it.
New album out last week, I've not played it yet.
Nice, a real grower thanks mate :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Nice, a real grower thanks mate :tup:

Both albums are the same.slow burners
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Both albums are the same.slow burners
So much more longevity in an album when it grows on you :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:So much more longevity in an album when it grows on you :tup:

Definitely