Super League

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Super League

Post by 1964white »

The wheels have fallen off again :(
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

1964white wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:02 pm The wheels have fallen off again :(
not just the wheels Leon the windscreen the headlights and the full shebang , the commentators are now making the exscuses for us , lots of injuries etc , we are the biggest team in the northern hemisphere and should have strength in depth but we dont , the youth he is playing are far from ready , Hetherington needs to splash the cash "FAST", at the end of every season we should be trying to buy the best player available , i have been harsh on mcdermott in the past but this problem lies firmly at the feet of tight ar5e Hetherington . :tdown: :tdown:
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
1964white

Post by 1964white »

beer belly bert wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:21 pm not just the wheels Leon the windscreen the headlights and the full shebang , the commentators are now making the exscuses for us , lots of injuries etc , we are the biggest team in the northern hemisphere and should have strength in depth but we dont , the youth he is playing are far from ready , Hetherington needs to splash the cash "FAST", at the end of every season we should be trying to buy the best player available , i have been harsh on mcdermott in the past but this problem lies firmly at the feet of tight ar5e Hetherington . :tdown: :tdown:
It seems like a pale imitation of LUFC last season

Top of the league rapidly dropping to mid-table mediocrity, running our club on the cheap, deja vu :(
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

1964white wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:43 pm It seems like a pale imitation of LUFC last season

Top of the league rapidly dropping to mid-table mediocrity, running our club on the cheap, deja vu :(

Agree with how it looks Leon but the Rhinos are far from skint , biggest and richest team in super league by a country mile ,
1964white

Post by 1964white »

beer belly bert wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:36 pm Agree with how it looks Leon but the Rhinos are far from skint , biggest and richest team in super league by a country mile ,
Hetherington needs to heed the warning & compete with the likes of the Saints, Wigan, Cas, etc if he wishes the Rhinos to stay in the pack, you'd have thought we'd had learn lessons when we were nearly relegated
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

beer belly bert wrote:

Agree with how it looks Leon but the Rhinos are far from skint , biggest and richest team in super league by a country mile.
I've always disliked the Rugby League obsession with stupid play-offs. It was bad enough when it was just the Top 4 but now it's obscene with 8 of 12 entering playoffs which can totally negate and reverse a full seasons league results.

The team that finishes top of the standard league season should be champions, but only RL can turn a hard league season into a cup final, which they surely already have with the Challenge Cup.

Great game, shame about the administration. Castleford were last season's best team by that same country mile, yet RLs idiotic system lets a lucky team take the final credit over the team that should be the real champions. Same thing in Australia I suppose - they have a Grand Final Day too.

It's one reason why I turned against the game somewhat in my teens and found football.
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

Norm wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:51 am I've always disliked the Rugby League obsession with stupid play-offs. It was bad enough when it was just the Top 4 but now it's obscene with 8 of 12 entering playoffs which can totally negate and reverse a full seasons league results.

The team that finishes top of the standard league season should be champions, but only RL can turn a hard league season into a cup final, which they surely already have with the Challenge Cup.

Great game, shame about the administration. Castleford were last season's best team by that same country mile, yet RLs idiotic system lets a lucky team take the final credit over the team that should be the real champions. Same thing in Australia I suppose - they have a Grand Final Day too.

It's one reason why I turned against the game somewhat in my teens and found football.
I think the American model of "play-off" sports is taking over. In the US none of the teams that wins the most games in a season is regarded as the overall champions. After the "regular" season they have to then enter some kind of play-off competition to find out who the "best" team is. I think you'll find that, as usual, TV and money are a big factor in this change.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I'm not knocking that Bob, for US sports. As you say, everything's playoffs there, but Rugby League gave in to that concept years ago. Actually there used to be a reason for that then, because everybody didn't play everybody else home and away under that system and playoffs made sense. Now it's top 8 and it's unnecessary to have so many playoff games, if any.
Richard
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @northantsmanvan

Post by Richard »

I thought they stole the play offs from Union, I understand why Union have the system in place, because teams still play when Internationals are happening but the current format in League is very poor. All about the money though and this current Rhinos squad badly needs a couple of world quality players, a person who can slot the ball between the posts would be nice.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

What on earth is going on at Leeds....lost tonight at home to Catalans 25-28, after being in the lead for most of the game. :x
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:52 pm What on earth is going on at Leeds....lost tonight at home to Catalans 25-28, after being in the lead for most of the game. :x
Relegation play-offs on the cards again :(

They must be something in the water in the city of Leeds
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:52 pm Relegation play-offs on the cards again :(

They must be something in the water in the city of Leeds
Obviously hoping for a Leeds win tonight Leon, but also from a Wakey perspective as well. Catalans are creeping up the table....I want Wakey and Leeds in the top eight!! :rant:
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Bye Bye Brian , thanks for your time but you have to go , :tdown:

Hetherington , spend some fuxxxxg money you tight bxxxxxd nobody is interested in rugby union so why should the Rhinos finance it , :tdown:

marvellous new stand , will look good with no fans in it :tdown:
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

beer belly bert wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 pm Bye Bye Brian , thanks for your time but you have to go , :tdown:

Hetherington , spend some fuxxxxg money you tight bxxxxxd nobody is interested in rugby union so why should the Rhinos finance it , :tdown:

I watched the second half bert. It was awful stuff from Leeds. I saw them actually 'pass' the ball twice to Wigan players. The commentators did mention that Leeds have a horrific injury list?........ 46 - 8 wow! Away at Castleford next....does not bode well.
Wakey at St Helens tomorrow, can't see them getting a result either :(
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I was out of order for what I originally posted and apologise.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Norm wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:57 am I was out of order for what I originally posted and apologise.
Accepted by swannie Norm :)
No Leeds United to watch at the mo Norm, so I'm tending to watch the rugby. Especially my beloved Wakey. They have been promised a new stadium for 2020 ( been dragging on for years), and I fear that if they don't maintain Super league status, it could be a great excuse for the council to possibly pull out :(
Bu the way, I believe that from next season it will be one up one down....no more super eights and play offs
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

whiteswan wrote: ↑

Accepted by swannie Norm :)
No Leeds United to watch at the mo Norm, so I'm tending to watch the rugby. Especially my beloved Wakey. They have been promised a new stadium for 2020 ( been dragging on for years), and I fear that if they don't maintain Super league status, it could be a great excuse for the council to possibly pull out :(
Bu the way, I believe that from next season it will be one up one down....no more super eights and play offs
Thanks Swan - understand about Wakefield council and the possibility of a lack of funding - it concerns me too because I do support Wakefield. I think my original thoughts turned into a drunken rant because I don't support the Rhinos, hate them in fact, yet we seem to have an increasing tendency to promote us (MOT) as a City of Leeds board, not as a LEEDS UNITED board, which is far from the truth as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, I do support Yorkshire (and Leeds as a part of that) - in December 2017 i stayed in a few parts of Leeds and thoroughly enjoyed myself amongst good Yorkshire people, but the Rhinos? - I don't care if they drop off the end of the earth.

Sweet dreams.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

beer belly bert wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:49 pm Bye Bye Brian , thanks for your time but you have to go , :tdown:

After such an encouraging start to the season It has all gone belly-up Bert

We won't be winning the Grand Final this year :(
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Catalans now go above Leeds! They are on some run at the moment, and seem to be the form team. Catalans at Belle Vue next Saturday !! It's a four pointer.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I never before realised how far they have to travel to play in England - and of course how far every English club has to travel for their away games to the south of France.
The Dragons must have a cash cow and maybe a private airplane to afford the flights to England every other week.