Term-time holiday dad loses Supreme Court battle

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Re: Term-time holiday dad loses Supreme Court battle

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

Know i dont post much at all but this subject raises a few problems yes years ago we did not get taken out by our parents for holidays but times have changed more families holiday abroad these days and this will give holiday companies a chance to hike prices even further you only have to look at prices for a family break over the easter break price rises of 55% can be the norm.Also what about the days when teachers want to strike children have to miss schooling for that period and teacher training days is another one one both of these things many parents have to lose a days wages. I know these days more parents work than in the old days but for some needs must.The days that teachers strike etc they dont complain about the children missing education then.I wonder how many of the people who have posted one this subject have children or had them because in my mind that makes a big difference family holidays are a great thing in fact i know of some workplaces who annual holidays do not coincide with school holidays.What about people who are in the armed forces they may not be able to get leave in school holidays should they be deprived of having a holiday with their children.
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

The teachers work 38 weeks year and have 6 Weeks off in the Summer, my lad is now 25 but I remember the 1st day back after the 6 weeks holls was always `TEACHER TRAINING DAY why couldn't they have 5 weeks and 4 days holls instead of 6 weeks which would have saved me and the wife loads of hassle trying to find child care for an extra day ,
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

This sort of parenting could only happen these days, certainly not a thing of the past, was unheard of when I was a kid, mind you we weren't pampered & spoilt then
Excuse me but I just gave an example of an exception from 1955 where the Headmaster was perfectly fine with it as the kids in that last week of school would be playing 'Battleships', 'Hangman's Noose', noughts & crosses and the like. Education did not suffer, nobody broke the rules, all the kids were up-to-date with the curriculum and there was certainly no bad parenting involved as you appear to be alleging.

Leon you are entitled, as is everybody else, to an individual point of view, but I would appreciate it if you would read every post on the thread before coming out with a blanket statement which contradicts my account of something wholly acceptable occurring even before you were at school. My case was an exception, nobody suffered, the education system was fine with it and nobody needed your permission for it to be acceptable Sir. :)
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

I'm still trying to bring up an image In my mind where my dad says to me back in 1972 sorry son you are going to have to miss school for a week as were going to florida . :roflmao:
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

For many years my Mum let me miss school to watch the Ashes on TV.

Granted I was told if they used the American system I would have jumped ahead a year or two but still.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I'd like to see a system where the summer holiday's are 4 weeks, and parents are then allowed to take their \child(ren) out for up to any 2 week period through the year, so the holiday prices are affordable.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

beer belly bert wrote:I'm still trying to bring up an image In my mind where my dad says to me back in 1972 sorry son you are going to have to miss school for a week as were going to florida . :roflmao:
:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

More like Butlins in Filey during August, the rooms were like prison cells suitable for the likes of Fletcher & Godber :wink:
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

1964white wrote::hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

More like Butlins in Filey during August, the rooms were like prison cells suitable for the likes of Fletcher & Godber :wink:

remember staying at primrose valley as a kid and looking through the fence into the butlins camp and thinking "wow" they must be rich to stay there for a week . :roflmao: