Cricket 2017

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Togehter way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
User avatar
Haighy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby Haighy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 am

:duno:
faaip wrote:made me chuckle ..nice try

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18272
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby faaip » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:47 am

at a wind up
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Green, Beradi, Need , Janssen, Need, Bridcutt, Vierra, Gianni , Klitch, Hernandez, Wood

Ayling - Anita - Antonsson - Sacko - Weidwald - Dallas - Saiz

User avatar
whiteswan
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby whiteswan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:45 pm

What do you guys think of the new city 20 20 cricket being given the go ahead. Which cities will have a team do you reckon. Leeds will.....Surely?

User avatar
Haighy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby Haighy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:06 pm

whiteswan wrote:What do you guys think of the new city 20 20 cricket being given the go ahead. Which cities will have a team do you reckon. Leeds will.....Surely?

Personally, I don't give a toss for t20..it will be the death of the county championship.
The big bucks from Sky.....sad.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52057
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby 1964white » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:26 pm

Haighy wrote:Personally, I don't give a toss for t20..it will be the death of the county championship.
The big bucks from Sky.....sad.


I'm a traditionalist like you Haighy

Never watch T20 cricket.....Sky will kill the county championship, once that happens my interest in cricket will no doubt wane !

User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5511
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby Gandalf » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:03 pm

1964white wrote:I'm a traditionalist like you Haighy

Never watch T20 cricket.....Sky will kill the county championship, once that happens my interest in cricket will no doubt wane !

No county championship games for over 4 weeks now due to the 50 over stuff.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18272
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby faaip » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Think I dislike 50 stuff more than 20/20 as a spectacle....
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Green, Beradi, Need , Janssen, Need, Bridcutt, Vierra, Gianni , Klitch, Hernandez, Wood

Ayling - Anita - Antonsson - Sacko - Weidwald - Dallas - Saiz

User avatar
Haighy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby Haighy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 am

faaip wrote:Think I dislike 50 stuff more than 20/20 as a spectacle....

Sort of with you on that one.
Not a fan of either..!
I've been to the last 3 roses t20 matches at Headingley.....absolutely madness..it's like Leeds v Scum... just a piss up. Cricket it aint !!!

User avatar
whiteswan
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby whiteswan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:00 pm

I have to admit I like all formats of the game but not sure if this City thing will work. Have to wait and see.

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18272
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby faaip » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:48 am

Problem is us "purists" can't support the game at the level at which it wants to become. Most new cricket fans I'm guessing prefer the over in a few hours or a day format which suits the shorter attention spans we all have these days.

Now is the city thing replacing the county 20/20 or running alongside because if alongside then teams will lose players to their city teams as they already do to the IPL and test teams. Will, oh I don't know, Joe Root play for Yorkshire and Bristol say and not Leeds should those cities get franchises ?

Can you imagine Bristol v Leeds with Bairstow and Root playing for Bristol ? It'll be like players playing for different teams in the FA cup and the league ...

Then with only 8 cities (lets say for arguments sake - Manchester, London, Birmingham, Southampton, Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol, Sheffield/Liverpool) It's going to leave a lot of supporters "stateless". I'm a Hampshire fan but have no allegiance to Southampton nor would I support a London team.
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Green, Beradi, Need , Janssen, Need, Bridcutt, Vierra, Gianni , Klitch, Hernandez, Wood

Ayling - Anita - Antonsson - Sacko - Weidwald - Dallas - Saiz

User avatar
Haighy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby Haighy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:25 am

faaip wrote:Problem is us "purists" can't support the game at the level at which it wants to become. Most new cricket fans I'm guessing prefer the over in a few hours or a day format which suits the shorter attention spans we all have these days.

Now is the city thing replacing the county 20/20 or running alongside because if alongside then teams will lose players to their city teams as they already do to the IPL and test teams. Will, oh I don't know, Joe Root play for Yorkshire and Bristol say and not Leeds should those cities get franchises ?

Can you imagine Bristol v Leeds with Bairstow and Root playing for Bristol ? It'll be like players playing for different teams in the FA cup and the league ...

Then with only 8 cities (lets say for arguments sake - Manchester, London, Birmingham, Southampton, Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol, Sheffield/Liverpool) It's going to leave a lot of supporters "stateless". I'm a Hampshire fan but have no allegiance to Southampton nor would I support a London team.

They intend keeping the county t20. So there will be two t20 competitions !!!
How it will work I've no idea, nor do i give a toss.

User avatar
whiteswan
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby whiteswan » Mon May 01, 2017 1:21 pm

Yorkshire going well against Lancashire at Heading in the Roses match (Royal London one day cup) Reached 296 for 9 in their 50 over innings. Lunch and then the Lancs to bat

User avatar
whiteswan
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby whiteswan » Mon May 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Yorkshire win by 79 runs :clap2:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52057
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby 1964white » Mon May 01, 2017 8:01 pm

whiteswan wrote:Yorkshire win by 79 runs :clap2:


Ballance continues his great form. Handscomb looks a decent acquisition for Yorks :-D

User avatar
Haighy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby Haighy » Tue May 02, 2017 8:04 pm

whiteswan wrote:Yorkshire win by 79 runs :clap2:
Easy !! :lol:

User avatar
Haighy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby Haighy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 pm

Brilliant knock by young J B...
Smashed wor Durham all over Headingley.
Now they depart on Von Strauss orders..!

User avatar
whiteswan
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1359
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby whiteswan » Fri May 05, 2017 9:53 am

Haighy wrote:Brilliant knock by young J B...
Smashed wor Durham all over Headingley.
Now they depart on Von Strauss orders..!

Another great win :-D

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52057
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby 1964white » Fri May 05, 2017 9:59 am

whiteswan wrote:Another great win :-D


Yorks doing well in the limited overs game this season

Fingers-crossed it shall continue

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52057
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby 1964white » Wed May 10, 2017 7:42 pm

My first visit to Headingley this season likely to be the Roses match on the 2nd or 3rd June

Hopefully the climate will be much warmer by then

mav
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2179
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Cricket 2017

Postby mav » Thu May 11, 2017 9:44 am

Heres the elephant in the room about Cricket in the UK. (two in fact)

1) When we have a dry summer, it makes money.
2) Test Cricket makes huge sums, a lack of longer games will hurt our test side.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 75 guests