Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Togehter way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
User avatar
whiteswan
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1982
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby whiteswan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:07 pm

1964white wrote:Highest point I've ever been in a football ground, felt like we were sat in the sky

Screenshot 2017-04-15 at 19.19.28.png

Blimey! :shock:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 54911
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby 1964white » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:12 pm

whiteswan wrote:Blimey! :shock:


And I have a fear of heights after a nasty accident many years ago

User avatar
rab_rant
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2586
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: Helsinki Finland

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby rab_rant » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:17 pm

The difference between the teams was very clear and simple.
Newcastle scored a scrappy shitty rumble tumble hustle and bustle
goal that had as much class as a fat stripper toppling off a dance pole.
Whereas the Leeds goal was a thing of beauty, Pablo jinking past a couple
of tackles to slide in an inch perfect pass to Roofe who had time to smoke
a whole pack of Capstan before floating in a cross that was met by Wood
doing a Ninja Turtle flying kung fu kick that left the goal keeper wondering
if his arsehole had been bored or punched.
Scottish Steel and Irish Fire that's the weapon I desire.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 54911
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby 1964white » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Gary Shaw wrote:Watched the game again this morning, as I was at a wedding on Friday so only saw the last 30 minutes. Having watched the game again defensively and off the ball we were outstanding unfortunately that affected us going forward, however, Newcastle ran out of ideas at times of how to break us down. I wasn't that impressed by Newcastle tbh I thought we handled Shelvey, Ritchie and Mitrovic really well.
Ratings:
Green 7- 2 good reaction saves and unlucky with the goal. His decision making on crosses and positioning was good again, his consistency has been exceptional in the second half of the season.
Ayling 6- Wasn't really tested often defensively, however, made 2 poor decisions in the 2nd half which could have cost us, going forward I thought he did well with some good movement and a Xavi-like pass to Sacko in the second half.
Bartley 7 - Some good decision making throughout the game did well against Mitrovic.
Pontus 9- Man Of The Match 2 crucial blocks and won everything, he really is on another level
Berardi 7- Berardi won the battle against Ritchie imo.
Bridcutt 7- Excellent first half, his positioning was so so good. More difficult for him in the second half, however, I thought his passing throughout the game was excellent and he won his battle against Shelvey.
Phillips 6- He never hides no matter how difficult a game it is and he made some crucial interceptions, struggled in the second half.
Roofe 6- A mostly quiet game for Kemar, however, his bravery on the ball is outstanding to watch and his cross for the equaliser was outstanding.
Hernandez 4- Lost the ball far too often and easily throughout the game, however, his run which led to Kemar's cross was vital and shows why he has to start every game.
Pedraza 6- So unlucky not to score and worked hard throughout the game. He was quiet in the second half, however, I thought he was unlucky to be taken off.
Wood 8-Only had 28 touches of the ball, however, his use of the ball was incredibly efficient great run and finish, never stopped running and goal saving block at the end of the game.
Substitutions:
Sacko 4- Awful and didn't work hard enough to help Ayling.
Doukara 6- Allowed Roofe to move to the left and did ok.
Taylor 6- Got forward well, however, his passing wasn't great tbh defended well whenever he had to.


Folk tell me we have better defenders.....Imagine Kyle Bartley & Luke Ayling keeping a clean sheet over two games for their country & returning to Leeds & accomplishing a similar feat v Preston :lol: yes we conceded v the barcodes but Pontus wasn't the man marking Lascelles

User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5974
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby Gandalf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:47 pm

1964white wrote:He really is Oscar

The first time I clapped eyes on Pontus I immediately thought we have a class player here'

Some fans are unbelievably critical of him, some doubt him. I've never lost faith in Jansson as his quality/tenacity is top draw, the best CB I've seen at Leeds in a very long time

Grabbing a point right at the death was great however there was a distinct lack of quality from too many of our players for us to go on & win that game

I'd have taken a point before setting off so we have to be happy, could be a very crucial one point come the end of the season

Although Pontus made some vital clearances, and played well, I did think that he was bullied by Mitrovic, and was beaten in the air by him several times. Rob Green MOM (again) by some distance for me.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

User avatar
Oscar
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1372
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby Oscar » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:52 pm

Gandalf wrote:Although Pontus made some vital clearances, and played well, I did think that he was bullied by Mitrovic, and was beaten in the air by him several times. Rob Green MOM (again) by some distance for me.


Mitrovic is 6 ft 2 to be fair so will win some headers, I thought Pontus and Bartley won the battle easily against him, so much so that Alan Shearer criticised Mitrovic heavily after the game. Woody had half the touches of the ball Mitrovic had but did so much more.
Also a keen Barcelona supporter since 2004-2005 (when they were average.)

User avatar
Oscar
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1372
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby Oscar » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:59 pm

1964white wrote:Folk tell me we have better defenders.....Imagine Kyle Bartley & Luke Ayling keeping a clean sheet over two games for their country & returning to Leeds & accomplishing a similar feat v Preston :lol: yes we conceded v the barcodes but Pontus wasn't the man marking Lascelles


Wow :shock: , Bartley and Ayling have been outstanding for us but Pontus is still on another level. If we are ahead with 20 minutes to go tomorrow I want Pontus to get himself booked so that he can get the suspension completed over our last 3 games before the play offs.

They certainly have been.....what I am implying they are not internationals keeping clean sheets for their country
Also a keen Barcelona supporter since 2004-2005 (when they were average.)

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 54911
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby 1964white » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:35 pm

Gary Shaw wrote:Wow :shock: , Bartley and Ayling have been outstanding for us but Pontus is still on another level. If we are ahead with 20 minutes to go tomorrow I want Pontus to get himself booked so that he can get the suspension completed over our last 3 games before the play offs.


Knowing our luck in his attempt to get a booking he'd probably end up with a red card :(

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 54911
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby 1964white » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:39 pm

Gary Shaw wrote:Wow :shock: , Bartley and Ayling have been outstanding for us but Pontus is still on another level. If we are ahead with 20 minutes to go tomorrow I want Pontus to get himself booked so that he can get the suspension completed over our last 3 games before the play offs.


They certainly have been.....what I am implying they are not internationals keeping clean sheets for their country

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 54911
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby 1964white » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Gandalf wrote:Although Pontus made some vital clearances, and played well, I did think that he was bullied by Mitrovic, and was beaten in the air by him several times. Rob Green MOM (again) by some distance for me.


Don't wish to be too critical of Rob Green who has been absolutely immense for us but did he get caught out of position for the Toon goal ?

User avatar
weasel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5675
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Espana

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby weasel » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:49 pm

1964white wrote:Don't wish to be too critical of Rob Green who has been absolutely immense for us but did he get caught out of position for the Toon goal ?


I would disagree. It was just a decent ball crossed in and too high for a keeper to take. If Green had have come to try to claim it it would have gone over him and simply given them an open goal to aim at. As it was he did the best he could to be in the right position to save and was very unlucky that it was a strong finish.
Senor El Weasel

User avatar
weasel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5675
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Espana

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby weasel » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Gary Shaw wrote:Wow :shock: , [b] If we are ahead with 20 minutes to go tomorrow I want Pontus to get himself booked so that he can get the suspension completed over our last 3 games before the play offs.


Fed up hearing/reading fans saying stupid nonsense like this. Yes let's play with a weakened side for the last 3 matches and risk not getting to the play-offs. Thank f*ck Monk is in charge with the mantra of just concentrating on the next match and trying to win that.

Trying to be too clever simply carries the risk of being made to look foolish.

Try to win the next match with our strongest team. Whatever the result try to then win the next match with the strongest team. If at some point we are then mathematically safe then look to rest players. No match in the championship is a guaranteed 3 points. No team, regardless of their league position, is simply going to roll over. More importantly though we are not such a great team we can simply steamroller any side in this league. We need our strongest defence playing because we won't dominate the opposition. If we are to win it will be because we have defended well and then had the quality to score at the other end. Very rarely have we outplayed teams and even in the match v Derby we only won 1-0 and Derby had a couple of decent chances. People get carried away by the fact our best performance, v Derby, saw Ayling playing centreback yet seem to forget that the next match, again with Ayling as centreback, saw us ripped apart time and time again by an average Barnsley side.

Yes we want to have Pontus available for the play-offs but no point having him available and watching as Huddersfield, Sheff Wed Reading and Fulham are contesting the play-offs whilst our season is over.
Senor El Weasel

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 54911
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby 1964white » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:05 pm

weasel wrote:I would disagree. It was just a decent ball crossed in and too high for a keeper to take. If Green had have come to try to claim it it would have gone over him and simply given them an open goal to aim at. As it was he did the best he could to be in the right position to save and was very unlucky that it was a strong finish.


Only watched the highlights today, certainly couldn't tell from my seat in the sky :wink:

It just seemed he moved towards the ball & then stopped....as I said it's difficult to be critical of our goalie

User avatar
Oscar
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1372
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby Oscar » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:52 pm

weasel wrote:Fed up hearing/reading fans saying stupid nonsense like this. Yes let's play with a weakened side for the last 3 matches and risk not getting to the play-offs. Thank f*ck Monk is in charge with the mantra of just concentrating on the next match and trying to win that.

Trying to be too clever simply carries the risk of being made to look foolish.

Try to win the next match with our strongest team. Whatever the result try to then win the next match with the strongest team. If at some point we are then mathematically safe then look to rest players. No match in the championship is a guaranteed 3 points. No team, regardless of their league position, is simply going to roll over. More importantly though we are not such a great team we can simply steamroller any side in this league. We need our strongest defence playing because we won't dominate the opposition. If we are to win it will be because we have defended well and then had the quality to score at the other end. Very rarely have we outplayed teams and even in the match v Derby we only won 1-0 and Derby had a couple of decent chances. People get carried away by the fact our best performance, v Derby, saw Ayling playing centreback yet seem to forget that the next match, again with Ayling as centreback, saw us ripped apart time and time again by an average Barnsley side.

Yes we want to have Pontus available for the play-offs but no point having him available and watching as Huddersfield, Sheff Wed Reading and Fulham are contesting the play-offs whilst our season is over.


It is a risk
As I said only if we are winning comfortably against Wolves would I take the risk, it puts us on 75 points.
Our next 3 after that: Burton, Norwich and Wigan, ok Norwich might cause problems for Bartley and Ayling, however, as long as Bartley and Ayling are at their best they can cope with Burton and Wigan. It happens all the time in the Champions League and International Tournaments. Another problem I can see the longer he stays on 14 bookings is Pontus starting to go out of his way to avoid a booking and not going for the 50-50's or important challenges leading to us conceding goals anyway.

The bottom line is we can't win the play offs without Pontus as far i'm concerned. Take the scenario Pontus gets booked against Norwich meaning he misses both legs of the semi final, over two legs can you see us being able to stop Huddersfield, Wednesday, Fulham or Reading scoring with Ayling or Cooper next to Bartley? Or if Pontus manages to avoid a booking until the final day or semi finals could you imagine trying to win at Wembley without him?
Tomorrow is the last opportunity we will get to guarantee Pontus isn't suspended for the play offs.

Personally, I think it is a calculated risk, however, I totally understand what you are saying.
If we are drawing or losing tomorrow though, I agree it definitely isn't worth the risk.
Also a keen Barcelona supporter since 2004-2005 (when they were average.)

User avatar
Oscar
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1372
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby Oscar » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Just to add as well if we are winning and the results are going for us as well and we go 4-5 pts or maybe more clear surely it makes sense mate?
Also a keen Barcelona supporter since 2004-2005 (when they were average.)

User avatar
weasel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5675
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Espana

Re: Newcastle v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Postby weasel » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Like I say though take 1 match at a time - win the match and re-evaluate. Ideal scenario would be winning a game easily and sub him and then secure promotion with a couple of matches to go and rest him. Burton recently went to Huddersfield and won, only lost 1-0 at Newcastle and drew 1-1 at Sheff Wed -they will not simply turn up to lose - they are also 2 points outside the bottom 3 and a win for them would almost secure their safety. Norwich blow hot and cold and have certainly got the players to beat us, just ask Reading. Wigan could be facing us and still have a chance of safety.

You say we can't win the play-offs without Jannson, and certainly it will be harder without Jansson, but we definitely can't win the play-offs if we aren't in them.
Senor El Weasel


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests