Favourite Albums Poll - Cypress Hill/Damned/Deacon B/Dead Kens/DJ Shadow/Doobies/Doors/Feelgood/Duran/Editors - VOTE NOW

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Togehter way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
User avatar
Haighy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby Haighy » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:43 pm

Hmmm..... I'll give these a miss !!!

User avatar
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5590
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:51 am

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby Gandalf » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching For The Young Soul Rebels

Dire Straits - Alchemy

Donald Fagan - The Nightfly
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52532
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby 1964white » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:49 am

Haighy wrote:Hmmm..... I'll give these a miss !!!


Just noticed Haighy, no heavy rock bands in this current poll

User avatar
billie1
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: Crawley , West Sussex

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby billie1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:47 am

Charlie Parker The Complete Dial and Savoy Sessions

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms

User avatar
John in Louisiana
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby John in Louisiana » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:43 pm

Chris Isaak -- "Chris Isaak" from 1996, almost entirely for the brilliance that is James Calvin Wilsey's guitar (check him out on the cut "Wild Love").

Dire Straits -- Communique

Charlie Parker -- way too many to choose from, but if I have to, it will be "Bird in Paris"

Got to see Dire Straits at a tiny little night club in Connecticut called the Shaboo Inn back in September or October of '78 just after their first album dropped in the US. "Sultans of Swing" was, by then, a massive hit, and the band were playing arena-sized shows, but Mark Knopfler insisted upon keeping the Shaboo date as he wanted to reward the venue for signing the band before anyone in the US knew who they were. Knopfler is on my short list with Richard Thompson for the world's greatest living guitarist.

Have to go even more off-topic and tell a story about the Shaboo Inn. It was a dive of a club in an old thread mill in Mansfield, Connecticut, but would get the greatest bands on their way between Boston and New York because the owners, David "Lefty" Foster and Bruce John, were just great guys.

About the same time Dire Straits played, the Police also showed up. The Shaboo show was just the band's second in the United States, and Foster did it as a favor to drummer Stewart Copeland's brother Ian Copeland, who booked the band. "``He goes, `Lefty, do you want Iggy Pop in six weeks?''' Foster remembers. ``I said yes. He did the agent thing where he said, `If you want Iggy Pop, then you'll take my brother's band.''' So Foster took a band he had never heard of and set the cover charge at $1. ``The record hadn't come out yet, so we knew it was going to be dead,'' Foster says. Plus, the World Series was on, and the Yankees were playing the Dodgers. This didn't sit well with Sting.

"``It's a tie game, and Sting is in the barroom pacing, completely bored, going, `I really want to play,''' Foster says. ``He was driving everybody nuts, so finally, I say, `Look, what's your name? Sting? Sting, look, we're all going to watch your band, but it's a tie game; it's the World Series. Wait until 10 o'clock, and then go on.''

I was in the bar that night watching the game, but had no idea that drama was going on behind me. The Police went on afterward, with a crowd of just a couple hundred or so. To their credit, they put on a great show.

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14964
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby gessa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:46 pm

Dire Straits Making Movies
Daughter If You Leave

User avatar
Haighy
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby Haighy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:36 pm

:tup:
1964white wrote:Just noticed Haighy, no heavy rock bands in this current poll

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52532
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Favourite Albums Poll

Postby 1964white » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Can Tago Mago - 4/5

Charlie Parker Charlie Parker With Strings - 4/5

Chris Isaak Heart Shaped World - 3/5

David Gray White Ladder - 3/5

Depeche Mode Violator - 4/5

Dexys Midnight Runners One Day I'm Going To Soar - 4/5

Diana Ross Diana Ross - 4/5

Dire Straits Brothers In Arms 4/5

Donald Fagan The Nightfly - 4/5

User avatar
gessa
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14964
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby gessa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Both mine are 4/5

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52532
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby 1964white » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:50 pm

gessa wrote:Both mine are 4/5


Cheers mate :tup:

User avatar
Durly
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby Durly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Dexys Midnight Runners - Searching For The Young Soul Rebels
Daughter - If You Leave
Image

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52532
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby 1964white » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:06 am

John in Louisiana wrote:Chris Isaak -- "Chris Isaak" from 1996, almost entirely for the brilliance that is James Calvin Wilsey's guitar (check him out on the cut "Wild Love").

Dire Straits -- Communique

Charlie Parker -- way too many to choose from, but if I have to, it will be "Bird in Paris"

Got to see Dire Straits at a tiny little night club in Connecticut called the Shaboo Inn back in September or October of '78 just after their first album dropped in the US. "Sultans of Swing" was, by then, a massive hit, and the band were playing arena-sized shows, but Mark Knopfler insisted upon keeping the Shaboo date as he wanted to reward the venue for signing the band before anyone in the US knew who they were. Knopfler is on my short list with Richard Thompson for the world's greatest living guitarist.

Have to go even more off-topic and tell a story about the Shaboo Inn. It was a dive of a club in an old thread mill in Mansfield, Connecticut, but would get the greatest bands on their way between Boston and New York because the owners, David "Lefty" Foster and Bruce John, were just great guys.

About the same time Dire Straits played, the Police also showed up. The Shaboo show was just the band's second in the United States, and Foster did it as a favor to drummer Stewart Copeland's brother Ian Copeland, who booked the band. "``He goes, `Lefty, do you want Iggy Pop in six weeks?''' Foster remembers. ``I said yes. He did the agent thing where he said, `If you want Iggy Pop, then you'll take my brother's band.''' So Foster took a band he had never heard of and set the cover charge at $1. ``The record hadn't come out yet, so we knew it was going to be dead,'' Foster says. Plus, the World Series was on, and the Yankees were playing the Dodgers. This didn't sit well with Sting.

"``It's a tie game, and Sting is in the barroom pacing, completely bored, going, `I really want to play,''' Foster says. ``He was driving everybody nuts, so finally, I say, `Look, what's your name? Sting? Sting, look, we're all going to watch your band, but it's a tie game; it's the World Series. Wait until 10 o'clock, and then go on.''

I was in the bar that night watching the game, but had no idea that drama was going on behind me. The Police went on afterward, with a crowd of just a couple hundred or so. To their credit, they put on a great show.


Revealing story John :tup:

User avatar
whiteswan
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1494
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby whiteswan » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:23 am

Dire Straits - Making Movies
David Gray - Slow Motion
Diana Ross - The Force behind the Power
Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell

User avatar
John in Louisiana
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby John in Louisiana » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:50 am

Forgot to add David Gray......

Sell, Sell, Sell is still my favorite, although I love them all. Huge fan.

User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5927
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby lufc1304 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 am

Can - Tago Mago
Charlie Parker - Bird in Paris
David Gray - White Ladder
Depeche Mode - Violator
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52532
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby 1964white » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:51 pm

lufc1304 wrote:Can - Tago Mago
Charlie Parker - Bird in Paris
David Gray - White Ladder
Depeche Mode - Violator


You've done it again Nick. :tup:

I almost voted for Bird In Paris too, would have been a full house :lol:

User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 5927
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby lufc1304 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:26 am

1964white wrote:You've done it again Nick. :tup:

I almost voted for Bird In Paris too, would have been a full house :lol:


Getting to be a habit this, Leon!! :wink:

Forgot about Dexys, Searching for the young soul rebels is their finest work and gets 5/5 from me
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52532
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby 1964white » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:04 pm

whiteswan wrote:Dire Straits - Making Movies
David Gray - Slow Motion
Diana Ross - The Force behind the Power
Depeche Mode - Speak and Spell

Blimey Swan you are putting Hector & others to shame :wink:

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 52532
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Favourite Albums Poll

Postby 1964white » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:13 pm

Favourite Studio/Live Albums by any of these artists

ROUND 16

VOTE NOW + include your ratings out of five if you wish

Can

2 - Tago Mago

Charlie Parker

2 - Bird In Paris
1 - The Complete Dial and Savoy Sessions
1 - Charlie Parker With Strings

Chris Isaak

1 - Heart Shaped World
1 - Chris Isaak

Daughter

2 - If You Leave

David Gray

2 - White Ladder
1 - Slow Motion
1 - Sell, Sell, Sell

Depeche Mode

2 - Violator
1 - Speak & Spell

Dexys Midnight Runners

3 - Searching For The Young Soul Rebels
1 One Day I'm Going To Soar

Diana Ross

1 - Diana Ross (1970)
1 - The Force Behind The Power

Dire Straits

3 - Making Movies
2 - Brother In Arms
1 - Comminique
1 - Alchemy

Donald Fagan

2 - The Nightfly

Voted - Billie, Durly, Gandi, Ges, Hector, John, Whiteswan, 64, 1304

User avatar
hector
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2341
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:57 am
Location: Salisbury
Contact:

Re: Favourite Albums Poll - Can/Parker/Isaak/Daughter/Gray/Dep Mode/Dexys/Ross/Straits/Fagan - VOTE NOW

Postby hector » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:01 pm

1964white wrote:Blimey Swan you are putting Hector & others to shame :wink:


It's not my fault that Swannies taste in music is "questionable" to say the least... :P :P

:mrgreen:
"A "ditto" a day, keeps the Leon at bay..... :-D "


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blakerb-LUFC, Cjay, eastyorkshirewhite, John in Louisiana, leedsmad, mchldavies7, MissSurreyWhite, Norm and 47 guests