Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Togehter way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 50775
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby 1964white » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:07 pm

Corner kick count

Is it any wonder why we don't win many corners in matches when we rarely venture into the oppositions box ? We pass the ball sideways & backwards without causing too many problems for teams defences.

Surely when we get a free-kick we should be more direct & lump the ball in the box as oppose to taking short pass & creating nothing. For the first time in the 96th minute we decided to pump the ball into the danger area, the ball came out where Hernandez got on the ball playing a sweet pass to Roofe who curled a beauty cross for Wood to score !

We need to make more of our set-pieces !

User avatar
weasel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Espana

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby weasel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:48 pm

And what if Hernandez had just lumped the ball back into the box?
Give credit to the opposition for forcing us back and making it hard for us to play our way up the pitch. I don't really recall us having much opportunties from free kicks to put the ball in the box.
Senor El Weasel

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18001
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby faaip » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:00 pm

It was a pass not a cross, and Wood is poor in the air so no real point lumping the ball into the box
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Green, Beradi, Bartley, Pontus, Taylor, Bridcutt, Vierra, Pedraza , Roofe, Hernandez, Wood

Ayling - Phillips - Doukara - Antonsson - Coyle - Peacock Farrell - Dallas

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 50775
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby 1964white » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:06 pm

faaip wrote:It was a pass not a cross, and Wood is poor in the air so no real point lumping the ball into the box


The ball went into the Toon box, came back out where Pablo & Roofe did their stuff.

Surely it's better to get the ball into the danger areas rather than pass the ball backwards.
We are not an Arsenal type of team where we can walk the ball into the net, we haven't the players to do that as they play far too deep often leaving Wood totally isolated

If Wood is so poor in the air why does the ball go back to Green who then boots it upfield towards Wood ?

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 50775
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby 1964white » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:11 pm

weasel wrote:And what if Hernandez had just lumped the ball back into the box?
Give credit to the opposition for forcing us back and making it hard for us to play our way up the pitch. I don't really recall us having much opportunties from free kicks to put the ball in the box.


We had at least three set-pieces just inside their half where we had the chance to get the ball forward & possibly create a problem for the toon defence.
We use to get several corners where the likes of Pontus & Bartley joined Wood up top scoring goals for fun, not the case of late !

paddy parrott
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby paddy parrott » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:14 pm

You cannot really mean Big Chris Wood is poor in the air ,he's on 27 goals and giving the service i.e properly controlled crosses and by that one of the ways for that to beat fruit is to get the ball past the first defender. To say he is poor in the air is wrong mate , giving the right cross he has shown his all round ability and for the record how many times this season has he been back and headed opposition crosses clear ? Dozens of times and if you had gripe previously with him ok his touch can be ordinary and work rate too. But that was then and this is now the hard graft that all including the man himself has put in.

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18001
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby faaip » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:23 pm

1964white wrote:The ball went into the Toon box, came back out where Pablo & Roofe did their stuff.

Surely it's better to get the ball into the danger areas rather than pass the ball backwards.
We are not an Arsenal type of team where we can walk the ball into the net, we haven't the players to do that as they play far too deep often leaving Wood totally isolated

If Wood is so poor in the air why does the ball go back to Green who then boots it upfield to Wood ?



No idea
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Green, Beradi, Bartley, Pontus, Taylor, Bridcutt, Vierra, Pedraza , Roofe, Hernandez, Wood

Ayling - Phillips - Doukara - Antonsson - Coyle - Peacock Farrell - Dallas

User avatar
Shields53
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 6206
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 1:34 pm
Twitter: @motforum
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby Shields53 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:44 pm

I seem, to remember us totaly domnating the corner kick stats in a couple of games this season.

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 50775
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby 1964white » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Shields53 wrote:I seem, to remember us totaly domnating the corner kick stats in a couple of games this season.


We did Adam which were very fruitful for us, not the case of late consequently limiting our chances of scoring goals

User avatar
faaip
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 18001
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby faaip » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Remind me that that is my goal of the season when if we vote
K.M. 52. S&B Nation

Green, Beradi, Bartley, Pontus, Taylor, Bridcutt, Vierra, Pedraza , Roofe, Hernandez, Wood

Ayling - Phillips - Doukara - Antonsson - Coyle - Peacock Farrell - Dallas

User avatar
weasel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5250
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Espana

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby weasel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Generally the ball is not played long to Wood's head but over him and into the corners so as to get the opposition turning and the hope is that they then either put the ball out for a corner or throw in or we get to the ball first. When we are under pressure and sitting deeper it does mean Wood is isolated more often so is less likely to be able to get the pressure on the opposition back line to force them into conceding possession. Perhaps in earlier games our wingers were also not helping out defensively as much which meant they were further upfield when we played the longball over the top so could put pressure on the opposition full backs and panic them into losing possession. As such perhaps we need to go back to having Sacko and not having our wingers helping out defensively as much.
Senor El Weasel

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 50775
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby 1964white » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:05 pm

faaip wrote:Remind me that that is my goal of the season when if we vote


Will do mate :tup:

User avatar
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:00 am

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby MissSurreyWhite » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:59 am

Interesting point but I always believed corners were never that high at creating goals.
The stats vary but the likelihood of scoring is really low something like 1 in 10 games around 2-3%.
So its a bit of myth. It's more about the territorial advantage and better to play to the teams approach strength/other methods for more goal opportunities.

It's a bit like goalies diving at penalties. The stats say stand still, but it's the goalies teams expectations that influence the goalie to dive. (i.e. to be seen to be making the effort).

User avatar
1964white
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 50775
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle 19-0 Leeds

Postby 1964white » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:50 am

MissSurreyWhite wrote:Interesting point but I always believed corners were never that high at creating goals.
The stats vary but the likelihood of scoring is really low something like 1 in 10 games around 2-3%.
So its a bit of myth. It's more about the territorial advantage and better to play to the teams approach strength/other methods for more goal opportunities.

It's a bit like goalies diving at penalties. The stats say stand still, but it's the goalies teams expectations that influence the goalie to dive. (i.e. to be seen to be making the effort).


Good point Miss SW although.....

We've actually scored quite a few goals from corners in the first-half of the season as our giant centre-halfs & Wood are a real threat at corner-kicks, now those opportunities have decreased as we rarely venture into the oppositions penalty box.
We are far too cautious, shame really as we've shown what we are capable of when we have taken the game to the opposition as we did v the likes of Sheff Wed, Cardiff, Norwich, Preston, Derby & Brighton


Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests