Oh my how leeds has changed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Togehter way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
gotagetz
Ballboy
Ballboy

Oh my how leeds has changed

Postby gotagetz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Took my daughter to leeds uni for a tour (30 years since I was last there) and while she did that I wandered off. My pops used to work at the BBC Woodhouse lane, that's now a uni. The Merrion centre has changed and what's happened to the clock at the bottom end. People used to crowd around on the hour and watch it. Headrow and Briggate are basically pedestrian. Beatties on albion street...gone. but we do have a leeds utd shop in the merrion centre :-D

Ratscoot
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Oh my how leeds has changed

Postby Ratscoot » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:23 am

On the whole Gota I feel the centre of Leeds has improved over the years, I don't know about the night life as I never drink in the city centre but I'd rather (if I'm dragged kicking and screaming) go shopping in the centre rather than the likes of White Rose or Meadowhall Malls.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Postby 1964white » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 am

I left Leeds nearly 40 years ago so much of the city & outskirts would have changed as is the case with many UK towns/cities over the years.
I only travel to Elland Road & Headingley these days so I can't pinpoint significant changes apart from the road network which has improved significantly.
I assume Leeds City Centre is great place to shop, drink & eat.
My first job in retail was at Barkers in The Headrow before moving next door to work in the now defunct department store Schofields, a store which was known as the pinnacle of Leeds shopping centre.
I use to do many concerts at the Uni & Poly back then in the early 70's. Headingley still seems to be a buzzing place when I was there last year

Norm
Manager
Manager

Postby Norm » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:43 pm

There was a Leeds Central railway station until 1967...ish. I expect some of the (slightly :wink: ) older end will remember it further down Wellington Street from City station.

John Lewis was the store to be visited in the 50s/60s - can't speak for any other era. Getting a tram from Wakefield to Leeds centre used to involve changing trams at Stourton (or somewhere on the souther outskirts).

rich_leeds64
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @richleeds64

Postby rich_leeds64 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 pm

I've worked around Leeds city centre for the last 30 years and seen huge changes, some good some not so good, probably Boar Lane has changed the most. I remember where the Marriott hotel is was all derelict land some used for car parking then on the other side was The Peel pub which was a heavy rock place with plenty of trouble every time I went past. It had to all be redeveloped as this was one of the first roads you walked down after leaving the railway station.

The one thing Leeds was crying out for was a tram network like a lot of cities have these days. The council had plans and a quote of £300 million back in the early 90s and some preliminary work was started along Hunslet Rd only for the backward thinking Leeds City Council to pull the plug. This would have really help solve Leeds commuters daily nightmare. Experts say to resurrect the plans would now be costing £billions so we'll be having to make do without

Return to “General Chat”