Burton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Burton v Leeds - Team/News/Reports/Ratings

Post by Norm »

The Jansson/Monk saga cost us dear and I said that those weeks ago. It's not just the 2 of them but divisions have been created in the dressing room too. Just our luck to get the best manager and the best defender we've known for ages at each other's throats as playoffs loomed.

No point going on about it - we've probably lost the best defender since squat and despite Monk's trumpeting about 'togetherness' it obviously wasn't as good as he said it was. I think we need to keep him, that's if he wants to stay of course. Let's face it we're a shambles without confidence or spirit atm. I'm not even sure the spirit amongst the present set of players can be resuscitated, though I live in hope.

Despite a more relaxed atmosphere since Rad's involvement, there's still a price to be paid for non-qualification for the playoffs. It all depends on who (or what) pays that price.

Better luck next time
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:I'm subdued, there's still a mathematical chance of course but SW and Fulham will probably only need a draw and we'd need Reading to lose both and us to win both, not likely with us playing Norwich.

We should have walked into the playoffs from where we were even on suspect form and I think we shot ourselves in the foot with the Jansson saga and we haven't looked the same team since.
We've never really recovered since forfeiting the Sutton game, lost all momentum

Also we needed to strengthen in the January Window, truth is we didn't

Jansson & Wood have hardly had any rest with their international call-ups in a long old season.

Today our players looked jaded. fooked & as flat as the Brewers beer they serve up in Burton
Total dejection from our players at the final whistle.....heads in their hands, hands on their knees, sat on the ground, realisation set in that they had blown it !
Only Jansson, Ayling & Sacko came up to applaud the Leeds fans at the end with Pontus & Luke throwing their shirts into the crowd
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Pontus applauds & walks away dejected at the end
Screenshot 2017-04-22 at 21.48.41.png
Screenshot 2017-04-22 at 21.51.17.png
Sacko about to deliver his shirt
Screenshot 2017-04-22 at 21.53.32.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

A minute's silence for Ugo Ehiogu
Screenshot 2017-04-22 at 21.55.39.png
Some Burton lasses struting their stuff getting drenched too :lol:
Screenshot 2017-04-22 at 21.59.57.png
1964white

Post by 1964white »

6 - Green
6 - Ayling
5 - Bartley
7 - Jansson
5 - Taylor
4 - Phillips
6 - Vieira
4 - Roofe
4 - Hernandez
5 - Doukara
6 - Wood

4 - Sacko
4 - Pedraza
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I'm bitterly disappointed but not going to look for where it went wrong, I think we've had a very good season performing far better than I could have imagined. At the beginning of the season we were being touted as potential relegation fodder and the bookies thought the same, my only consolation is the fact I had a bet on us to win the league with a 24 point start at 18/1 so I'm hoping we can get another win to enable me to cash in.
With us running out of steam at the wrong time it would have been almost cruel to be put through the agony of losing the play off semi final and going out with a whimper and tbh after watching the championship tonight I can't see anyone beating Fulham who've hit form right on cue.
Here's hoping we can keep Monk and the backbone of the squad and with a few new faces who knows what next season will bring MOT
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

faaip wrote:Difficult even if we have money to spend. Anytime a new player comes in irrespective of cost it's a bit of a lottery that they "fit"

I think Wood will be here unless it's 15 mill plus, Green certainly, Hernandez we have the option on
The good sign is that we showed a willingness to invest in better players this season. Not multi-millions but more than we have in previous seasons.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote:If Swansea go down , I think they will probably want Bartley back, Jansson seems up in the air whether he's our player or not. Wood has had a great season but he's not a premiership striker imo, so could only see a big money offer coming in from 1 of the 4/5 Championship teams with the required amount of money. Hernadez as a year option but we need to sign players to complement him, he's on another level to Doukara, Sacko and a few more.
Green has just signed a 12 month extension so he's the only one I'm confident will be here.
I didn't know Green had extended his contract - that is good news. Given the number of goals that he has scored, I think some of the lower to mid-table Premier League clubs may go for him, but hopefully he'll be willing to stay with us.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote:A minute's silence for Ugo Ehiogu

Screenshot 2017-04-22 at 21.55.39.png
The minute's silence was for Dave McAdam

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/players_p ... AdamDF.php
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:The minute's silence was for Dave McAdam

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/players_p ... AdamDF.php
And Ugo too !

Dave McAdam played for both clubs Harry
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote:And Ugo too !

Dave McAdam played for both clubs Harry
I know he did (well I found out after they explained on LUTV that the minute's silence was for him)., hence the minute's silence.

They didn't say anything about Ehiogu
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I think that young lads video that I posted had some salient points.
1) Monk was not fielding the team that was winning games for us. O'Kane, Dallas and Sacko hardly featured during the run in.
2) What other club does not have a backup striker on the bench who can come on and score goals
3) January transfers were a disaster. We should have gone for Fletcher a striker instead of two wingers.

It is a pitiful end to the season that at one point looked so hopeful. It must be so depressing
for all those travelling fans who have travelled the country wide full of optimism when the team
keeps getting beat by teams that are propping up the bottom of the table. It is just rotten.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Disappointing end to what has been a much-improved season. Not a case of 'I told you so', but I never bought into the euphoria and huge optimism that got built up around us for the sole reason that our squad is paper-thin. First 11 is a match for anyone, but we have no game-changers off the bench or players who are adequate cover for injured/suspended first teamers. This league is a marathon where you need a squad of around 18 to 20 players all jockeying for starting positions. We don't have that, and perhaps we missed a trick in January, too. Key now is keeping Monk and the better players, then augmenting them with some additional quality. Easier said than done, of course, but the ambition we show over the next few months will define us for the forseeable future.

To finish on a positive note, we have taken huge strides forward this season. If anyone had offered us top 6/7 at the start of the season, even the most optimistic of us would have probably laughed. We ARE moving in the right direction, we just haven't quite got there yet.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

I think we don't have the firepower. To rely on Wood was a lot to ask - at some point it needed freshening up and we just have lots of ok non scoring wingers. Get rid of em all and get a 20 goal a season striker.
Fulham and Wednesday seem to have goals from other parts of their team.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

MissSurreyWhite wrote:I think we don't have the firepower. To rely on Wood was a lot to ask - at some point it needed freshening up and we just have lots of ok non scoring wingers. Get rid of em all and get a 20 goal a season striker.
Because they strengthen in the January Window, seems like it has paid off for them.

Not a fan of wingers so bringing in two more flank players pained me somewhat !

Poor Chris Wood has looked jaded in the last few games. Fatigue & lack of confidence has set in, our players are jaded & look shot, sad to say I'll be surprised if we win another game
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

The saddest thing of all Leon- what might have been.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:The saddest thing of all Leon- what might have been.
Remember my topic back in late December 2016 Norm....'Now Is The Time'

I reckon Monk was restraint with his hands tied behind his back
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

MissSurreyWhite wrote:I think we don't have the firepower. To rely on Wood was a lot to ask - at some point it needed freshening up and we just have lots of ok non scoring wingers. Get rid of em all and get a 20 goal a season striker.

I think we already have one
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:I think we already have one
If we had another one we'd be in the prem by now
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote:If we had another one we'd be in the prem by now

Not if he didn't get played ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"