We messed up in the January window

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: We messed up in the January window

Post by 1964white »

Crude wrote:But who realistically, was available for a decent price in January, and would come to Leeds, and would've made significant contributions?
Izzy Brown
Sam Winnall
David Nugent
Henri Lansbury
Glen Murray
Sergi Canos
Lewis Grabban
Michael Kightly
Omar Bogle
Ashley Fletcher
Joey Barton :shock:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Fletcher wasn't as West Ham made it clear on the last day of the window - it did seem like he was our no.1 target and we were led to believe he was available until it was too late to get any other striker.
Out of the others only Canos stands out but I think that is more due to him playing well against us for Brentford. Perhaps he is the one who got away but equally if Pedrazza had gone to Brentford, for example, he might have done better due to the way they play as he'd have got more of the ball and probably started every match for them rather than being eased in with us.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

The January transfer window should be used to strengthen the starting team - even if it's just to provide additional tactical or formation options - rather than just add depth to the squad.

Having said that, just one more win since January and we'd still be in a great chance of making the play-offs. Though of course you can also argue that bringing in the right players in January would have made that extra win more likely.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Fletcher wasn't as West Ham made it clear on the last day of the window - it did seem like he was our no.1 target and we were led to believe he was available until it was too late to get any other striker.
Out of the others only Canos stands out but I think that is more due to him playing well against us for Brentford. Perhaps he is the one who got away but equally if Pedrazza had gone to Brentford, for example, he might have done better due to the way they play as he'd have got more of the ball and probably started every match for them rather than being eased in with us.
Majority of those players above would have been better back-up than the ones we had in our squad, some would have offered Monk a plan B which was never apparent on our run-in
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:The January transfer window should be used to strengthen the starting team - even if it's just to provide additional tactical or formation options - rather than just add depth to the squad.

Having said that, just one more win since January and we'd still be in a great chance of making the play-offs. Though of course you can also argue that bringing in the right players in January would have made that extra win more likely
Without any doubt Harry

Pedrazza or Barrow didn't effect one positive result.....tell a lie Barrow should have been more professional & ran the ball into the corner in the 95th minute, he tried something fancy losing possession of the ball, Fulham attack with pace & score a wonderful equaliser with seconds remaining. That wheelie-bin signing cost us two points & he was only on the pitch for ten minutes. On your bike back to Swansea Barrow & take Grimes with you !
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Pedrazza scored the 3rd goal to kill Birmingham off. Without that goal Birmingham would have had around 15 minutes to get an equaliser.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Pedrazza scored the 3rd goal to kill Birmingham off. Without that goal Birmingham would have had around 15 minutes to get an equaliser.
Apologise i forgot about that cracking goal

He was unlucky hitting the woodwork twice although he should have buried the his chance at Fulham

Still don't think he is worth £8m +
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think in today's market he is as he has pace, trickery, a decent shot, a good work ethic and age on his side. In addition he looks like he is physically able to handle himself in this division. I hope Leeds sign him as he could be our Knockheart type player - a winger who will score double figures as I would see him progressing next season having had this half season to acclimatise. I really hope Leeds sign him, permanently would be great or if not on a year long loan with set price if we want to buy him.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Assuming we only lose Taylor in the summer (and that is a massive assumption to make as Bartley, Jansson, Wood, Viera and possibly Ayling are all going to be difficult to keep). Not been much mention about the possibility of losing Ayling, however, I am sure with his ability on the ball teams like Bournemouth etc and the promoted sides this season will be considering signing him.
I think we need 4 signings we 3 of them being top quality signings:
1. A Howson type of midfielder who can play box to box alongside Bridcutt/Viera/O'Kane/Phillips whilst also having the ability to play in the number 10 role if we need him to. Howson himself would be a great signing but realistically it's not going to happen :( unless Radrizanni has serious ambition.
2. Right Winger
3. Left Winger
4. It would probably be an idea to sign another striker, doesn't need to be amazingly good and a 25 goal a season striker just an option off the bench or alongside Wood.
If we can try and replace Cooper with a better back up option but this isn't a priority if we keep Pontus and Bartley

One thing we 100% don't need imo is another left back even if Taylor leaves, Berardi has proven himself in that position and i'm not that bothered he isn't great going forward if we sign a top class left winger that won't matter. Then have Coyle and Denton as back up options, signing another full back will only stop Coyle and Denton's progress.

Cook back on loan isn't the answer imo.

I would be confident of at least the top 6 next season with this team:
--------------------------------Green---------------------------------------------

Ayling------------Bartley---------------Jansson-------------------Berardi

--------------------Bridcutt-------------(new central mdifielder)------------

New right winger-------Hernandez/Roofe--------------New left winger

--------------------------------Wood----------------------------------------------
Or alternatively:

--------------------------------Green---------------------------------------------

Ayling------------Bartley---------------Jansson-------------------Berardi

--------------------Bridcutt-------------Viera/O'Kane/Murphy------------

New right winger-------New central midfielder----------New left winger

--------------------------------Wood-------------------------------------------------