Is Monk still the man?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Re: Is Monk still the man?

Post by danhirons »

liggy wrote:Norwich hahaha Ermmmm why ( he's very very privileged where he is )
If hudds don't make it we can enrich our midfield no end.
What nags away is monk .
A very exceptional coach yes ,a manager not sure.
He got the boot at Swansea, yes harsh but why.
Was he better than laudrup No.
Is Laudrup available Yes
Would Dyche come yes
Would Brendan Rogers come why not ffs this is Leeds!!!
Wakey wakey.......
you drunk? :duno:
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

No but I am now :wink: :roll:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:Norwich hahaha Ermmmm why ( he's very very privileged where he is )
If hudds don't make it we can enrich our midfield no end.
What nags away is monk .
A very exceptional coach yes ,a manager not sure.
He got the boot at Swansea, yes harsh but why.
Was he better than laudrup No.
Is Laudrup available Yes
Would Dyche come yes
Would Brendan Rogers come why not ffs this is Leeds!!!
Wakey wakey.......
Not sure they would come to Leeds tbh. You are a character liggy :wink:

I am sure we need give Monk a decent contract even though he has shortcomings which I've mentioned throughout this season. Garry needs to be supported this summer financially by the board. Once Cellino is gone hopefully Rad will put in his money where is mouth is which i think was the stumbling block for us making two nondescript signings that in the end inevitably killed our chances of maintaining a sustained challenge for what could have been an automatic place had the necessary investment was available

If we go into the next season with the likes of Monk, Wood, Jansson, Bartley, Berardi, Taylor, Ayling, Green & Vieira we'd have a solid base to build on & plenty of optimism to make a serious challenge in 2018
Bennyfishel
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Bennyfishel »

Surely Leeds supporters living in or near Leeds can see it,even I,living in Australia can see it,IF,yes IF Leeds had won promotion this season Leeds would have HAD to change their manager,getting promoted from Championship to Premier is one thing but staying there is another,they would obviously have had to lash out hugely for another experienced manager to replace the mediocre one they have at the moment, Monk would not have had an icicle in hell's hope of surviving in the premier League..Like I said in an earlier e-mail, I am 88 and don't ever expect to see my team back in the top Flight of football..
johnny wadd
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @jnicholson53

Post by johnny wadd »

at the start of the season, no leeds fan wolud have predicted we would be any where near the play offs, so let him finish the job off next season
1964white

Post by 1964white »

johnny wadd wrote:at the start of the season, no leeds fan wolud have predicted we would be any where near the play offs, so let him finish the job off next season
Agree Johnny if things don't go tits up this summer I truly believe next season will be our year, been saying it for months
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

Jansson said today that he has a new contract that starts in July and expects to be at Leeds next season . He did also say that he expects to make the play offs this season ( got to admire his optimism) !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

billie1 wrote:Jansson said today that he has a new contract that starts in July and expects to be at Leeds next season . He did also say that he expects to make the play offs this season ( got to admire his optimism) !
Hope out top man is very sincere with his comments.

Also hope he doesn't get booked on Saturday or else our last game at Wigan could be a drab affair. I enjoy watching a quality player :-D
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

Amazingly in one paper I've read that Leeds plan a major shake up in the summer and Garry Monk isn't part of the plan . I guess we'll see .
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

For me even if we don't sign Monk we are in much better health than last pre-season (where a lot of fans were clamouring for Evans to be kept on). Even if we lose Taylor, Bartley doesn't sign, and Pontus and Wood are sold I still think we are in better shape as we have a decent keeper, 2 decent full backs and would also have decent money to spend on replacements for Bartley and Pontus. Into midfield and for all their criticism we have 4 decent defensive midfielders so just need a more creative player. Out wide and we have Doukara, Dallas and Roofe who are all reasonable and could all turn into 10+ goal a season wide players. Hernandez will continue to be inconsistent but has the ability to change games and if Wood goes again we'd have money to spend on a replacement - and it might even be that we'd change formation and play two up top and Antonnsen could be the new Davide Somma and suddenly be a good player for us. Obviously a lot would depend on how well we spent the money but we aren't in the position, in most seasons of late, where we are trying to offload most of the first team and replace it.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

The only thing that bothers me about Monk is how fast he was to dump Murphy and Toumy.

Not saying either should be starters but.......

in hindsight either would have been an improvement on Philips during the second half of the season for me, would that have given us an extra few points?

I think so yes.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

A tricky one that with Monk and even Mourinho happy to dump players that to the fans look reasonable players. I suppose a lot comes down to the attitude of the player and you just have to look at Fergie who was quick to jettison decent players and simply allow younger, possibly hungrier, players to fill their shoes.

The team could have done with a Murphy type player as he was capable of scoring from midfield and also a good passer. However despite his undoubted ability he seemed to have a lot more anonymous games than he did good games. Goes back to a point I have consistently made about how it is better to have a player that consistently gets 7/10 ratings rather than one who goes 5,10,6,5,4. A team for me needs to have 10 players doing that and perhaps 1, in our case a Hernandez, who can do the special every now and again to win you a game even if he is quiet in a lot of games.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

weasel wrote:A tricky one that with Monk and even Mourinho happy to dump players that to the fans look reasonable players.

Moreen has always had enough players there dumping one did not leave the team exposed (afaik) Philips was not ready to play so much this year for me, he had too due to lack of options.

Also again hindsight but would you swap Toumy or Murphy for Grimes this year?
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

In hindsight you probably would but equally having either of them simply as back up wouldn't be a great situation - easier to a large degree to keep squad morale and a player happy if he is just a youngster who has only just broke into the first team (i.e. Phillips & Vieira).
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Mind if I use this content on the front page Weasel?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Not all Shields - happy to help