Is Kemar Roofe worth the £3m we paid for him

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Is Kemar Roofe worth the £3m we paid for him

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Better than Beckford in his first seasons for Leeds
Beckford only played a handful of games in his first season at Leeds as he was loaned out to Carlisle & Scunthorpe scoring goals for fun so much so The Iron wanted to sign Jermaine.
Wise refused their offer & the rest is history....

By all means mate come back to me when Roofe has scored 85 goals for LUFC :wink:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Seen Wood miss a number of sitters this season
Wood missed loads last season. CW has surprised me as he looks a different player now, losing over a stone in weight & good coaching from James Beattie seems to have done the trick
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

faaip wrote:Better than Beckford in his first seasons for Leeds

Bambi on ice, I remember many calling him?
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote:Beckford only played a handful of games in his first season at Leeds as he was loaned out to Carlisle & Scunthorpe scoring goals for fun so much so The Iron wanted to sign Jermaine.
Wise refused their offer & the rest is history....

By all means mate come back to me when Roofe has scored 85 goals for LUFC :wink:
Roofe has already scored more in the championship for Leeds than Beckford did.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote:Roofe has already scored more in the championship for Leeds than Beckford did.
Of course he has as Beckford never played for Leeds in the Championship

I reckon Jermaine has scored 25+ championship goals for other clubs plus 8 prem goals for Everton including the goal of the season. Now can you honestly see a prem club coming in for Roofe :shock:

Jermaine is a Leeds hero :luv:

Kemar Roofe is....well Kemar Roofe who had one outstanding game v Liverpool reserves
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:Bambi on ice, I remember many calling him?
I think you are getting confused with Sol Bamba :lol:

Without Beckford we would not have been playing championship football
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Although at the same age JB was playing non league - plenty of time for Roofe to find his level and improve
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

1964white wrote:Still disappointing for a £3m signing

He never got a settled position because he didn't impress enough for Monk's liking, Roofe is not as quick as some fans think he is, often chooses the wrong option & goes missing during games. He may prove me wrong next season, really hope he does !
That just described not only Roofe, but the rest of the midfield and attacking players this season. Still not sure how/why Calvin gets as many matches/starts as he does.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

The £3 million fee was fair enough because of his age and how good he was last season.
However, Roofe hasn't been worth the £3 million we have paid for him yet, however, he hasn't done that badly 3 goals and 8 assists in 31 starts is not too bad, obviously we would have hoped for more goals and more consistency from his performances. However, he has shown some outstanding potential for us at times this season.

Hopefully Monk and Clotet will work on some of the weaknesses Roofe has shown this season such as holding onto the ball a bit better, knowing when to and not to try and run at defenders and his finishing. One thing I am surprised at though is that he doesn't try to shoot from distance more often which is probably his biggest strength. I can see Roofe having a far better season next season and becoming a top player for us, what we can't do though is take this as a given we do without doubt need to make signings in the summer within the midfield.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Crude wrote:That just described not only Roofe, but the rest of the midfield and attacking players this season. Still not sure how/why Kalvin gets as many matches/starts as he does.
Phillips has had one or two decent games but in the majority of his appearances he has been absolutely dire !
Yet another midfielder who can't pass a football :shock:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gary Shaw wrote:The £3 million fee was fair enough because of his age and how good he was last season.
However, Roofe hasn't been worth the £3 million we have paid for him yet, however, he hasn't done that badly 3 goals and 8 assists in 31 starts is not too bad, obviously we would have hoped for more goals and more consistency from his performances. However, he has shown some outstanding potential for us at times this season.

Hopefully Monk and Clotet will work on some of the weaknesses Roofe has shown this season such as holding onto the ball a bit better, knowing when to and not to try and run at defenders and his finishing. One thing I am surprised at though is that he doesn't try to shoot from distance more often which is probably his biggest strength. I can see Roofe having a far better season next season and becoming a top player for us, what we can't do though is take this as a given we do without doubt need to make signings in the summer within the midfield.
I can see Roofe being a fringe player next season
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

1964white wrote:I think you are getting confused with Sol Bamba :lol:

Without Beckford we would not have been playing championship football

Nope, that was what many called JB when he first signed.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Part of the issue here, and I think someone has already alluded to it, is that £3m is chicken feed in the grander scheme of things. Might be a big fee to us, who can't or won't spend big money, but it doesn't buy you a lot, even in the Championship. That said, it's difficult to argue that Roofe has been an outstanding success this year. However, I do think that if he works on the physical side of his game, he can be a key player for us next season. Could maybe even be that box-to-box midfielder we need
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson