Garry Monk has Resigned

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Garry Monk has Resigned

Post by Norm »

All I know is that my uneasiness about the lack of a new contract for Monk has been vindicated.
Radz' views on the end of the season collapse were potent, as was his earlier alleged disappointment about the Sutton game. Monk didn't have his entire confidence.
I don't think it's as simple as it seems, but the end result is still the same - more turmoil and uncertainty.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

HarryofOz wrote:
Is there a managerial candidate named Abbot? He's be superior to Monk.
Where would Bishop fit in?
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Norm wrote:Where would Bishop fit in?
Even superior
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote:So the jury has decided that Monk is the villain here, even on the back of his statement that contradicts the official club statement? I'm not saying he isn't, but has anyone considered that maybe Radz is the 'bad guy' here and wouldn't back Monk with what he thought he needed to move us on? Always two sides is all I'm saying. And amazes me that, collectively, we've swung from 'we must get Monk signed up' to 'never rated him, no loyalty in football, had doubts etc'. Who'd be the Leeds manager, we're a bunch of fickle bastards??

I've considered it and it's notable that Cellino gets te thanks.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:So the jury has decided that Monk is the villain here, even on the back of his statement that contradicts the official club statement? I'm not saying he isn't, but has anyone considered that maybe Radz is the 'bad guy' here and wouldn't back Monk with what he thought he needed to move us on? Always two sides is all I'm saying. And amazes me that, collectively, we've swung from 'we must get Monk signed up' to 'never rated him, no loyalty in football, had doubts etc'. Who'd be the Leeds manager, we're a bunch of fickle bastards??
:roflmao:

I doubt none of us will no the real truth Nick. We fans are just left to pick up the pieces, probably making the wrong assumptions & drawing conclusions that seem hypocritical

Radrizzani is saying "We were keen to do 3 years deal. We never receive any request from him and his agent. No regrets, we did our best".
If the two sides were companies, they would have gone to a conciliation arbitration process & resolved the misunderstanding.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think 90% of Leeds fans, probably higher on here, wanted us to keep Monk however I don't think anyone would walk away from a guaranteed 1 year extensions unless they had something else to go to - I would be amazed if Monk isn't a manager elsewhere within a month. Even if GM and Rad had completely disagreed on transfers etc then I still wouldn't see GM walking away unless he had a guaranteed job offer as it would be a perfect situation for him to carry on drawing a wage and then be able to blame the club if he failed.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

He had his head turned. He would have known the club had an option to extend by a year and that there was no rush to tie him down right away.
If it were any of us in our jobs we would of been preparing for the year ahead, which he was, just not for Leeds Utd.
Let's build on this insult.
Realistically, we will loose Taylor, Bartley, monk and his back room team.
Pontus and Hernadez, sealed, let's bloody build on this, We have the foundations keep Wood too and we are a very attractive job for plenty of managers.
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

It's rumoured on "the other place" that Monk wanted the vacant Derby job back in March! I'd be hugely disappointed if this were true. It would mean he hardly had his eye on the ball the last couple of months and he also must have had zero faith in everything being hunky dory with the takeover and his potential, future relationship with Radrizzani. We were comfortably ensconced in the top 6 at the time with an (albeit remote) shot at top 2. Derby were nowhere.
I'm inclined to believe the narrative, that Monk wanted out and AR wasn't bothered about keeping him but, because he was very popular with us lot, neither want to be seen as the bad guy in all of this. Hence the deflection from both parties.
Whichever way, typical Leeds, eh?
Last edited by Durly on Fri May 26, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Durly wrote:It's rumoured on "the other place" that Monk wanted the vacant Derby job back in March! I'd be hugely disappointed if this were true. It would mean he hardly had his eye on the ball the last couple of months and he also must have had zero faith in everything being hunky dory with the takeover and his potential, future relationship with Radrizzani. We were comfortably ensconced in the top 6 at the time with an (albeit remote) shot at top 2. Derby were nowhere.
I'm inclined to believe the narrative, put forward by some on here, that Monk wanted out and AR wasn't bothered about keeping him but, because he was very popular with us lot, neither want to be seen as the bad guy in all of this. Hence the deflection from both parties.
Whichever way, typical f**king Leeds, eh?
No bad guys on here just because they may share a different opinion mate

I was one for keeping Monk & building on the stability we so badly require but after reading several stories & finding reasons why it all ended so messy the rumours do make one think what is true or untrue

Did Monk lose the dressing room ? we may never know !
There certainly was a different attitude amongst the players during April, they seem to had lost their heart & desire to get the job done. I mentioned in one of my match reports that their body language had changed, heads were down & tbh I couldn't see us winning another game even though we had Burton & Wigan to play in two of our last three matches.

If Monk wanted away then good riddance to him, he is no good to us if his heart is not in our club anymore.
GM won't manage a bigger club or receive the same adulation from fans elsewhere !
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote:Where would Bishop fit in?

We have Adam Pope on our side too.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

1964white wrote:No bad guys on here just because they may share a different opinion mate

I was one for keeping Monk & building on the stability we so badly require but after reading several stories & finding reasons why it all ended so messy the rumours do make one think what is true or untrue

There certainly was a different attitude amongst the players during April, they seem to had lost their heart & desire to get the job done. I mentioned in one of my match reports that their body language had changed, heads were down & tbh I couldn't see us winning another game even though we had Burton & Wigan to play in two of our last three matches.

If Monk wanted away then good riddance to him, he is no good to us if his heart is not in our club anymore.
GM won't manage a bigger club or receive the same adulation from fans elsewhere !
Aye, agreed. Have tidied my original post up a bit and got rid of the swearing. Copied and pasted some of it from a post I put on Waccoe.
The most annoying thing really is that, once again we have to push the reset button. Was quite looking forward to a bit of consistency and actually having the same management team in place in August that we had in April/May for the first time in years.
I'm very grateful to Monk for what he did last season. It ended in disappointment but I was expecting a relegation battle and it's down to him and the spirit he instilled in the players that we were in a promotion chase for most of the season.
Something changed though, you're right. Easy to speculate what the main problem was but difficult to be certain.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The main point now is that we are in a much better position than at this stage last year. We have the nucleus of a team with the only players of first team standard to not be with us next season are Charlie Taylor and Bartley. Taylor we will likely get a fee for and that should enable us to either buy a replacement or add it to the transfer kitty if we go with Berardi at left back and Denton a back up. Bartley will be a big miss but I still maintain that Bartley only looked decent when playing alongside PJ - when playing next to Cooper or Ayling (at CB) he looked average. As such at this stage we only need to find a new centreback in contrast to last season where most of us would have been replacing half the team.

Yes the vultures might swoop for PJ and Wood but they would have to pay top money and that at least gives us decent money to buy replacements. Yes we could also do with more creativity but a new manager may decide to play with 2 up front and Antonnsen may prove to be a complimentary striker to Wood and bang in a decent haul himself. We also have Murphy and Dave to return and again a new manager may be able to unlock the undoubted potential Murphy has.

Definitely for me a lot more reasons to be optimistic going forward and no real feeling like we are starting over again despite needing a new manager.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote:

We have Adam Pope on our side too.

:lol:

Can't get any higher than that.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote::lol:

Can't get any higher than that.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Jesus

There is one higher Norm
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa »wrote:

There is one higher Norm
True but we aren't likely to see him at our club mate.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

1964white wrote:

No bad guys on here just because they may share a different opinion mate

That's a particularly well-considered post Leon and probably nearer to the truth than most.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:That's a particularly well-considered post Leon and probably nearer to the truth than most.
I do try put my common-sense hat on at times Norm :wink:
hector

Post by hector »

1964white wrote:I do try put my common-sense hat on at times Norm :wink:

you generally disguise it very well.... :wink:

:mrgreen:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

hector wrote:

you generally disguise it very well....

Been offered any good parts lately mate? :wink:
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote::lol:
True but we aren't likely to see him at our club mate.
Only God knows