Garry Monk has Resigned

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Garry Monk has Resigned

Post by The Subhuman »

I've just tapped the MOT/LUFC barometer in my hallway and it's gone from set fair to changeable...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Having let this sink in a bit more and considering everything being reported and looking at the season overall, I honestly think Monk has done a similar thing to what Steve Bruce did at Hull last season. Not saying this will be the truth at all (this is purely opinion and how I read the situation):

I don't think anyone can deny he was furious over the January window, his interview over the Mowatt sale showed that. I think from that point onwards Monk was seriously questioning the ambition of the club and Radrizzani. Like Bruce I think he was willing to put that to one side and see how the season finishes and talk again in May when everything is a bit more clear and Radrizzani has 100%. If this is anywhere near the truth it would explain why Monk and his representatives wouldn't speak to the club from February onwards.

Whenever they had this meeting Monk has decided to resign imo for one of 3 reasons:
1. Offered a poor 3 year contract (poor wage (comparatively speaking) and a load of clauses to stop him getting any compensation etc)
2. Not conivnced in Radrizzani's ambition- a. Didn't feel Radrizzani would try and keep Wood and Pontus if the big bids came b. Didn't promise a big transfer budget and c.Unhappy with Radrizzani's plans in general.
3. Has had another job offer- obviously it is possible but if that is the case why haven't Pep and Beattie resigned as well if their best mate Garry has had this dream job lined up for weeks? Remember when people were convinved Bruce left Hull to take the England job :lol: which turned out to not be true, just like I think this link with Middlesbrough might be.

Personally, I think Monk really wanted to stay if he didn't he would have just left after the Sutton game or January deadline day (his stock was higher then than it is now).

It really really wouldn't surprise me if Monk is still out of work by July. If he doesn't get the Middlesbrough, Watford or Palace job etc then he quite clearly isn't money grabbing like everyone thinks he is, he just clearly didn't want to work with Radrizzani and didn't feel he could take us further under this new ownership and those are his reasons for resigning.

I haven't shared this on the other forum but the ITK information I have was that Radrizzani and Monk met a week or so ago and Radrizzani wasn't impressed by Monk's plans when asked to present them.

I am not taking sides atm (can't really until we see what happens with Garry over the next week or so) but if Monk is still out of work I would 100% be backing Monk's side of the events.
This was an interesting read: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -from-club. If that story is true/accurate Monk has done absolutely nothing wrong in my eyes one of his key strengths last season was his signings.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Reports Monk being interviewed for Boro job this week.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Monk supposedly Boro interview this week !!
Karanka favourite for leeds .
Just doesn't make sense ,how foolish does monk look right now.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Honestly we might of been in the doldrums for years
But swapping leeds for smogside
Never in my lifetime :roflmao:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:Monk supposedly Boro interview this week !!
Karanka favourite for leeds .
Just doesn't make sense ,how foolish does monk look right now.
Trying find sense out of Monk's departure is a strange one

One of two reasons i suspect :

Couldn't work with the new regime

or

Offered a far better offer elsewhere !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:Honestly we might of been in the doldrums for years
But swapping leeds for smogside
Never in my lifetime :roflmao:
That's because Leeds is in your blood liggy :tup:
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Sorry it went twice,
These computer thingys are ,just a fad !!
Can't see any future in them myself :o
1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:Sorry it went twice,
These computer thingys are ,just a fad !!
Can't see any future in them myself :o
That's ok mate I deleted your 2nd post. I often duplicate my posts :wink:
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

Well if it's all about getting back to the big time.
Can't see what the problem is with karanka.
I'm sure his time at the boro will make him all the more determind.
Oh btw his record is pretty decent.
Who the f##k is gary monk more like it.
I would say sh@t for brains if he ends up at middlesbrough
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

This info is through a player who doesn't play for us but does play at this level and is mates with quite a lot of our players, I play footy with his cousin every week and this is what I was told tonight:

Monk and Radrizzani met last week, Radrizzani to be fair to him, offered Monk a 3 year deal and a substantial (and I mean substantial if the figure quoted is true) increase on his current wages. Monk, however, said that he wanted some control on transfers and a massive say in how the academy was going to be run. Monk wasn't bothered about the money at all but if he wasn't going to be offered some control of transfers and have a say in how the academy was going to be run, he told the board he wasn't going to stay. Radrizzani didn't want to do this and for that reason Monk decided he couldn't stay.

When Monk resigned he apparently went round to every players house and appologised for his decision to each player and wished them all the best for the future. Now I am not sure for certain but I am assuming this is when he told the players what happened. I asked about Pep and Beattie but he didn't seem to know anything about why they haven't resigned and what's going to happen to them.

Also said that Allardayce and Monk are best mates and when Allardayce resigned he told the Palace board to bring in Monk. Again, i've not a clue how this player would know this, i'm only saying what I have heard. I'm not guaranteeing Monk is getting the Palace job btw.

One thing I will tell you for sure if the figure I was told was correct, I would imagine that would have made him the highest paid manager in this league by some distance.

The board has done everything they can financially to keep Monk but they wouldn't let Monk have the two things he wanted the most: some control over transfers and a big say in how the academy was going to be run and that is the apparent reason he has left.

Neither party to blame here, a compromise just couldn't be reached, as far as i'm concerned Monk has acted with class in this situation and has most definitely not made this decision over money (if it was there is no way he would have rejected what he was apparently offered.)

There's Only One Garry Monk :scarf1: all the best Garry :luv: apparently every player absolutely loved working for him and he really did want to stay (just not on the terms he was apparently being offered).

I just hope Radrizzani has made the right call not reaching a compromise with Monk and wanting to go with a manager who will fit into the structure he is trying to build.

If you don't believe this story or me then fair enough I just thought I would share what I have been told, this is from a trustworthy source and all the signs suggest this is 100% what happened and the reason Monk resigned: a. Orta being appointed, b. Sacko looking likely to sign, c. The sky report basically saying the exact same thing.
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

Derek Clark @derekclarksport
·
23h

I'm led to believe Garry Monk & James Beattie have agreed to take over at Middlesbrough & should be announced in next few days.

Pep wasn't mentioned, so maybe staying.
New manager being promoted from within maybe?
Winners never quit! Quitters never win!
(url=http://www.twitter.com/8ballali][/url)
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

Apparently loyalty costs money these days.
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

Tweet
Conversation

Joe Rawson @joerawson
·
1h

Former colleague @derekclarksport adamant a deal done for Garry Monk to become Middlesborough's next boss. Announcement this week #lufc

Rumoydin @Rumoydin
·
1h

Without Pep Clotet apparently Joe? You heard anything? I.e if he's staying etc.

Joe Rawson @joerawson

Replying to @Rumoydin and @derekclarksport
I've heard he wants to stay at #lufc whether it's a head coach or a number 2 we will have to wait to see
12:39 PM · Jun 4, 2017
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Beattie is a big loss.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by 8ballali »

Yes. He took Wood from being crap, to having a thirty goal season.
I hoped he would stay.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Alan Pardew now 5/4 favourite with Skybet ............ with Jaap Stam shortening dramatically in the betting :cry:

Radz certainly playing his cards close to chest and feels like it could still be a name that isn't even really in the running yet. Not sure who I want but I know it's not Pardew.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

If I were AR I would bet £1m on someone at 50-1, collect the £50m and then sack them.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Alan Pardew now 5/4 favourite with Skybet ............ with Jaap Stam shortening dramatically in the betting :cry:

Radz certainly playing his cards close to chest and feels like it could still be a name that isn't even really in the running yet. Not sure who I want but I know it's not Pardew.
My god I don't want either of those two as the next LUFC manager
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote:My god I don't want either of those two as the next LUFC manager
Pardew - Evens
Ranieri - 100/30
Stam - 8/1
Clotet - 11/1

16/1 + Anybody else

:shock: