Garry Monk has Resigned

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Garry Monk has Resigned

Post by The Subhuman »

liggy wrote:Faaip. Karanka got a bang average team into the premier league!!!!!

So did McDermott..and Colin w**ker IIRC, means nowt except we start again from scratch
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm a firm believer in continuity and it takes a couple of seasons for a manager to come in and get things working his way with the players needed. I think this means yet another rebuild season, assuming we get the manager right which considering we've employed 4/5 good ones in almost 60 years is not certain
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Likely he would use his contacts at Swansea to try to get Bartley but don't see why we would sell to GM even if he were at a prem club. Also don't forget the fall-out between GM and Pontus which may not have fully healed as we will never know whether PJ would have been brought back into the team if Cooper hadn't got banned.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Remember when Garry said Taylor has been terribly advised :roll:
gessa

Post by gessa »

The problem I always had with Monk was, I always got the feeling he was doing us a favour being here, not that he was proud to be our manager. So no surprise he went at the first opportunity. Doubt he'll ever manage a bigger club than Leeds.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:The problem I always had with Monk was, I always got the feeling he was doing us a favour being here, not that he was proud to be our manager. So no surprise he went at the first opportunity. Doubt he'll ever manage a bigger club than Leeds
He won't mate
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Monk will definitely have a job lined up on a much higher salary....easy money for him with the added bonus of compensation when he's sacked again
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

I nominate Garry Monk for best actor in the UK. Fooled all of the Leeds supporters into thinking he gave a flying f*ck about being here. Thanks Garry for 7th place and a kick in the teeth.

#FOGM
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Crude wrote:I nominate Garry Monk for best actor in the UK. Fooled all of the Leeds supporters into thinking he gave a flying f*ck about being here. Thanks Garry for 7th place and a kick in the teeth.

#FOGM
:roflmao:
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team

Post by woodfordwhites »

claudio ranieri dropped from 20s to 10s to 5s in few hours now at the bookies to become next leeds manager italian links and all that would love him at leeds and ready to return to mangering aitor fav at 4/6 still
:tup:
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »

Be interesting if its Boro hes going to, as a Boro friend of mine told me that 3-4 weeks ago.
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

'The problem I always had with Monk was, I always got the feeling he was doing us a favour being here, not that he was proud to be our manager. So no surprise he went at the first opportunity. Doubt he'll ever manage a bigger club than Leeds.'

Fully agree with this, I always felt that Monk didnt connect with the passion of our club and was just using it as a stepping stone, seems now to be the case.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I'm sure we all remember that mini-altercation of GM's with Phil Hay last year. He seemed awful arrogant and condescending then and it was forgotten when we began to do well.
Seems that superiority complex was the real him after all.

I'm with all who say sod him - we can't do a thing about it anyway except move on, collectively and individually.
It is what it is.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Is there a managerial candidate named Abbot? He's be superior to Monk.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Garry Monk's statement in full

It is with huge disappointment that my time at Leeds United has come to an end.

My intention was always to remain at Leeds and I saw myself at this fantastic club for many years to come. However, ultimately no agreement could be reached.

After discussions with the new owner, we have unfortunately been unable to agree a suitable way for us to all move forward together.

Working at such a huge and historic club as Leeds United has been a true honour and myself and staff put our all into what was an excellent season.

It was a campaign in which we were set the objective of improving things across the board on the field, in the wake of what have been a difficult few years for the club.

I believe that we managed not only to considerably improve our results, but I would also like to think we gave the loyal Leeds United fans and the city of Leeds a team and a club of which they can once again feel proud.

Hopefully and I'm sure that the many foundations we have put in place here can be built upon and it's my desire to see this amazing club back in the Premier League, where it belongs.

I would like to thank all of the players, who have been a real privilege to work with every day. They are on the right track to become very successful and boast the potential to be top players for this club, of that I have no doubt.

I'd like to thank all the staff at the club. First and foremost, my first-team staff, I am very grateful for the hard work and commitment you put in to last season.

I also wish to thank the staff at the Academy, Thorp Arch, Elland Road and the matchday personnel at the stadium, who have all made myself and my family feel most welcome.

I'd like to thank both Massimo Cellino and Andrea Radrizzani. Particular thanks go to Massimo, who helped bring me and my staff to this tremendous football club. I would also like to wish Andrea good luck and success during his tenure as the Leeds United owner.

Last but most definitely not least, I'd like to give my thanks and express my appreciation to all the supporters. You are amazingly loyal and passionate. The support you have offered me makes me feel immensely proud.

I will always cherish those amazing atmospheres you created at Elland Road last season and the complete takeovers of opposition grounds, with thousands of you travelling to every game. Your unbelievable support is deserving of a place amongst the elite and belongs in the Premier League.

Finally, I'd like to wish Leeds United and everyone associated with the club a very successful future.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote:Garry Monk's statement in full

It is with huge disappointment that my time at Leeds United has come to an end.

My intention was always to remain at Leeds and I saw myself at this fantastic club for many years to come. However, ultimately no agreement could be reached.

After discussions with the new owner, we have unfortunately been unable to agree a suitable way for us to all move forward together.

Working at such a huge and historic club as Leeds United has been a true honour and myself and staff put our all into what was an excellent season.

It was a campaign in which we were set the objective of improving things across the board on the field, in the wake of what have been a difficult few years for the club.

I believe that we managed not only to considerably improve our results, but I would also like to think we gave the loyal Leeds United fans and the city of Leeds a team and a club of which they can once again feel proud.

Hopefully and I'm sure that the many foundations we have put in place here can be built upon and it's my desire to see this amazing club back in the Premier League, where it belongs.

I would like to thank all of the players, who have been a real privilege to work with every day. They are on the right track to become very successful and boast the potential to be top players for this club, of that I have no doubt.

I'd like to thank all the staff at the club. First and foremost, my first-team staff, I am very grateful for the hard work and commitment you put in to last season.

I also wish to thank the staff at the Academy, Thorp Arch, Elland Road and the matchday personnel at the stadium, who have all made myself and my family feel most welcome.

I'd like to thank both Massimo Cellino and Andrea Radrizzani. Particular thanks go to Massimo, who helped bring me and my staff to this tremendous football club. I would also like to wish Andrea good luck and success during his tenure as the Leeds United owner.

Last but most definitely not least, I'd like to give my thanks and express my appreciation to all the supporters. You are amazingly loyal and passionate. The support you have offered me makes me feel immensely proud.

I will always cherish those amazing atmospheres you created at Elland Road last season and the complete takeovers of opposition grounds, with thousands of you travelling to every game. Your unbelievable support is deserving of a place amongst the elite and belongs in the Premier League.

Finally, I'd like to wish Leeds United and everyone associated with the club a very successful future.
Blah blah blah
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:Blah blah blah
Feel sorry for the players & our fans...told all season it's all about the group but obviously lied to and betrayed.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

So the jury has decided that Monk is the villain here, even on the back of his statement that contradicts the official club statement? I'm not saying he isn't, but has anyone considered that maybe Radz is the 'bad guy' here and wouldn't back Monk with what he thought he needed to move us on? Always two sides is all I'm saying. And amazes me that, collectively, we've swung from 'we must get Monk signed up' to 'never rated him, no loyalty in football, had doubts etc'. Who'd be the Leeds manager, we're a bunch of fickle bastards??
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

1964white wrote:Feel sorry for the players & our fans...told all season it's all about the group but obviously lied to and betrayed.
I doubt any of the players believed it. Like Monk they are professionals who are involved in the game to make money and get as much personal gain out of it as passible. Any speeches/statements they make about loving a club or its fans or the city or anything else is just pr bullshit spouted for personal gain - and there is nothing wrong with them trying to earn as much as possible - as long as their is no exploitation or abuse of other parties while they do so.

It's about time fans stopped believing the nonsense that those who are involved with the game professionally keep spouting.

The fans, and only the fans, 'love' their club. No player does and no coach/manager does.

So don't get all teary-eyed when a professional starts saying the things that they know fans love to hear, they don't mean it.
gessa

Post by gessa »

As with all these situations, somebody isn't telling the truth.
Rad - Neither Monk or his agent would sit and discuss the situation
Monk - No agreement could be reached.
Well my gut goes with Radz. If Monk takes another job in the next week or so , then that feeling will be strengthened but I suppose Monk is right in a way , no agreement can be reached if you won't sit down and discuss one. As for the rest of his statement nothing in there you wouldn't expect. It will add fuel for the frenzied though.