Thomas Christiansen

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Thomas Christiansen

Post by John in Louisiana »

gessa wrote:Like :tup:
Like it, too. :tup: :tup:
gessa wrote:Not sure how anyone knows what wage he's on to know how cheap an option he is, like I said before, Leeds United aren't the draw they once were, it may hurt to see that but I don'r see any of the big names knocking down our door to get the job. The bloke got to the Europa last 16 with a team from a league probably less competitive that the Scottish league, that's gives him more credit than Hockaday. Lets give the bloke a chance before we slate him.
:tup: :tup:
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

This guy is no Hockaday by any stretch of the imagination. Pretty pleased with his pedigree, experience and relative youth. Now time for Rads to open up the checkbook and start signing up quality/talented players. Good luck Thomas, no matter what you ever do the rest of your managerial career, being at LUFC will be the most special one. Enjoy it, revel in it, grab hold and take us for a wonderful ride up to the Prem.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

lufc1304 wrote:Based on what? Because he's not a household name? No-one had heard of Wagner or the guy at Fulham whose name I can't spell or pronounce, but look what they've done. And who, for that matter, had heard of Arsene Wenger before he came to England? Let's give the guy a chance; he's the new Leeds boss, I support Leeds, he gets my backing until such time as he no longer merits it.

As Leeds fans, we need to accept the fact that we are just not that big a draw anymore. We've been 13 years out of the Premier League and, in that time, we have been owned by a succession of shysters. It is no surprise, to me anyway, that managers haven't been crawling over hot coals to beg for the job at ER.
Ok I take what you are saying but although this is not in the league of a Hockaday style appointment it is certainly in the Darko Milanic style with a manager who's had some success in minor European leagues and I think Milanic had done ok in the CL (?). Christiansen is the new boss and deserves support but without a doubt we seem to once again have reversed the methodology of how the club is run with the coach working with the players he's given by the management team away from the training pitch. The only sniff of success recently seemed to be when Monk brought in players he knew who could do a job in this league, and yes we fell away, but in truth at this stage last year we were talking about fighting a relegation battle, so for me last season was a success, without question. Now Monk, it appears, didn't want to be here, could we have done more to keep him - I would likely think so but we will never really know....but in that time we have spent three weeks undoing what was achieved last season to revert to a model which failed pretty abysmally previously - for me that sounds like going backwards......it may well work, football throws up some strange success stories but I would say he is unlikely to bring in the quality of player that Wagner did as those players will not be around either the top or second tier Cypriot leagues....so i can only see recruitment being driven by Orta and his contacts.....once again it may well work and I will support the team as always but this, to me anyway, smells and tastes like an engaging of reverse gear.......I hope I'm as wrong as I was about Greeno :lol:

MOT :scarf1:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

gessa wrote:Not sure how anyone knows what wage he's on to know how cheap an option he is, like I said before, Leeds United aren't the draw they once were, it may hurt to see that but I don'r see any of the big names knocking down our door to get the job. The bloke got to the Europa last 16 with a team from a league probably less competitive that the Scottish league, that's gives him more credit than Hockaday. Lets give the bloke a chance before we slate him.
:tup: like

There's a section of our fans that is deluded. We might be the biggest club outside the Premiership, but the reality is that we have been toxic for most of the last 13 years. Bad/mad owners, a succession of ropey managers and squad after squad assembled on the cheap. As a manager, I wouldn't have taken the Leeds job under Bates, GFH or Cellino. I might under AR, but he's only been in the job 5 minutes.

Rant over! :wink:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Ok I take what you are saying but although this is not in the league of a Hockaday style appointment it is certainly in the Darko Milanic style with a manager who's had some success in minor European leagues and I think Milanic had done ok in the CL (?). Christiansen is the new boss and deserves support but without a doubt we seem to once again have reversed the methodology of how the club is run with the coach working with the players he's given by the management team away from the training pitch. The only sniff of success recently seemed to be when Monk brought in players he knew who could do a job in this league, and yes we fell away, but in truth at this stage last year we were talking about fighting a relegation battle, so for me last season was a success, without question. Now Monk, it appears, didn't want to be here, could we have done more to keep him - I would likely think so but we will never really know....but in that time we have spent three weeks undoing what was achieved last season to revert to a model which failed pretty abysmally previously - for me that sounds like going backwards......it may well work, football throws up some strange success stories but I would say he is unlikely to bring in the quality of player that Wagner did as those players will not be around either the top or second tier Cypriot leagues....so i can only see recruitment being driven by Orta and his contacts.....once again it may well work and I will support the team as always but this, to me anyway, smells and tastes like an engaging of reverse gear.......I hope I'm as wrong as I was about Greeno :lol:

MOT :scarf1:
You may well be right, and I remain to be convinced by the European model (though I can see some merit in it re continuity etc), but the new hierarchy on and off the pitch deserve the opportunity to either royally f**k up or take us another step forward. Christiansen may have only been managing in Cyprus but that doesn't mean his knowledge of players is limited to those shores. Let's write them off when it's all gone t*ts up, but not before a ball's been kicked.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

lufc1304 wrote::tup: like

There's a section of our fans that is deluded. We might be the biggest club outside the Premiership, but the reality is that we have been toxic for most of the last 13 years. Bad/mad owners, a succession of ropey managers and squad after squad assembled on the cheap. As a manager, I wouldn't have taken the Leeds job under Bates, GFH or Cellino. I might under AR, but he's only been in the job 5 minutes.

Rant over! :wink:
Rant accepted and :tup:
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

lufc1304 wrote:You may well be right, and I remain to be convinced by the European model (though I can see some merit in it re continuity etc), but the new hierarchy on and off the pitch deserve the opportunity to either royally f**k up or take us another step forward. Christiansen may have only been managing in Cyprus but that doesn't mean his knowledge of players is limited to those shores. Let's write them off when it's all gone t*ts up, but not before a ball's been kicked.
Hey I'm not writing him off, just seems odd that we've veered away from something that seemed to be working, to an extent, and gone back to something that has failed previously - I hope he has contacts still at his old clubs and can gel well with Orta and unearth some hidden gems ....... fingers crossed :tup:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

lufc1304 wrote:Based on what? Because he's not a household name? No-one had heard of Wagner or the guy at Fulham whose name I can't spell or pronounce, but look what they've done. And who, for that matter, had heard of Arsene Wenger before he came to England? Let's give the guy a chance; he's the new Leeds boss, I support Leeds, he gets my backing until such time as he no longer merits it.

As Leeds fans, we need to accept the fact that we are just not that big a draw anymore. We've been 13 years out of the Premier League and, in that time, we have been owned by a succession of shysters. It is no surprise, to me anyway, that managers haven't been crawling over hot coals to beg for the job at ER.
Fully agree and certainly you can't knock TC on what he has done so far in his short managerial career. He has come 2nd,2nd,1st and whilst the Cypriot League may not be the strongest it would be hard to do much better than that - contrast to Wagner and Stam who had no actual managerial experience.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Hopefully Pep stays now and gives us a little piece of continuity, Rad now has to back His choice and start getting the players in, no matter how good a manager is he'd be hard pressed to get us in the top half of the table with the squad we have left. 4 new first team players at least plus cover at CB and Forward.On last seasons form this is what we have left that is good enough imo

..............Green...........

Ayling..........Pontus.......????..........Berardi

???...........Vieira....O'Kane.......???
........................???????????........
.......................Wood..............
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

I wonder how many people were happy when Don Revie was appointed manager?
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

John in Louisiana wrote:No idea who this guy is. We don't get a lot of coverage of Cypriot football here in the US.

Very relieved we have a man in place, finally. A Spanish Dane in England. :-D :-D
Don't get a lot of coverage of Cypriot football in UK either , I'm guessing there isn't much coverage of Cypriot football in Cyprus as well .
Its a bit underwhelming , never having heard of him , however I think maybe the club is gong to be run on a continental basis of manager /coach given players to work with but having little say in who comes and goes ....... maybe one of the problems Monk faced if he had stayed .
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

BobHirst wrote:I wonder how many people were happy when Don Revie was appointed manager?
Don Revie probably was .
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

whiteswan wrote:Well, I suppose we will have to give the guy a chance. Hopefully being a Dane he will have a good relationship with one of his Nordic neighbours, our Jansson :-D
For a Swede to speak Danish all he has to do is stuff his mouth full of plums.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Hey I'm not writing him off, just seems odd that we've veered away from something that seemed to be working, to an extent, and gone back to something that has failed previously - I hope he has contacts still at his old clubs and can gel well with Orta and unearth some hidden gems ....... fingers crossed :tup:
Don't know what contacts might be useful re his managerial career .....some very low key teams I don't feel could offer LUFC much , playing career wise you'd go back to Barca or Villareal but that's nearly 30 years ago . I guess we'll see whats what in due course .
I'll try to be cautiously optimistic .
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

rab_rant wrote:

For a Swede to speak Danish all he has to do is stuff his mouth full of plums.
:lol: :lol:

I just hope Radz gives him a fair chance and has funds, or access to funds, to help us get past our parsimonious recent past.
I wish Thomas a fair and following wind in a job made high-profile not, these days, by tradition but by the expectations and taunts of our next failure.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

NorfolkWhite wrote:once again it may well work and I will support the team as always but this, to me anyway, smells and tastes like an engaging of reverse gear.......I hope I'm as wrong as I was about Greeno :lol:
It is the Italian philosophy... when they built their tanks
they had one forward gear and five in reverse.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

It does seem like a bit of a gamble and I think many of us were hoping for somebody slightly higher profile who we knew more about (Jokanovic and Sanchez Flores were my two preferred choices). It's difficult to even guess how he will turn out. He certainly doesn't seem like a mug and to compare him to Hockaday in any way just because people haven't heard of him is ludicrous. We need to all get behind him now and hope he can produce the goods. Wagner worked wonders at Hudds and Jokanovic and SF were relatively unknown when they started managing over here.
The big thing now is, will he be backed with significant player investment?
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Clacton White wrote:Don't get a lot of coverage of Cypriot football in UK either , I'm guessing there isn't much coverage of Cypriot football in Cyprus as well .
Its a bit underwhelming , never having heard of him , however I think maybe the club is gong to be run on a continental basis of manager /coach given players to work with but having little say in who comes and goes ....... maybe one of the problems Monk faced if he had stayed .
Undoubtedly. I don't buy all this revisionist "Monk is a greedy, disloyal swine" stuff. I suspect he just didn't like the continental set up and wanted for autonomy as a manager rather than a head coach. I think I'd feel the same in his position but we have to work with what we have got now. I have a feeling that Christiansen could work out well. It's actually Orta that concerns me more.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Clacton White wrote:Don't know what contacts might be useful re his managerial career .....some very low key teams I don't feel could offer LUFC much , playing career wise you'd go back to Barca or Villareal but that's nearly 30 years ago . I guess we'll see whats what in due course .
I'll try to be cautiously optimistic .
I thought he was only 44 so club contacts might be a bit more recent from playing / early coaching days?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The comparison with Milanic is perhaps a relevant one but it is hard to judge Milanic given he was sacked after just 6 matches and with him coming in mid-season had no time to work with the players and assess whether they could fit into his formation/tactics. Likely Milanic had not even heard of any of the Leeds players prior to taking over let alone seeing them play. Given time and a chance to bring in some players to fit his system and MIlanic could have been a success.