Wednesday's Breakfast Debate - 3/4 year contracts/TC's best X1

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Wednesday's Breakfast Debate - 3/4 year contracts/TC's best X1

Post by 1964white »

Good Morning Everyone

The Saiz saga due to be concluded this morning when the 26 year old will pen a four year deal at Elland Road.

I wonder what the hold up is ?

Meanwhile Caleb Ekuban has signed from Chievo for an undisclosed fee after completing his medical yesterday tea time. He too has signed a four year deal.

Noticed we are offering three/four year deals. Surely this is a good thing ?

TC has admitted that he is none the closer to knowing who his best XI are!

Does that will mean the majority of the squad will fly out tomorrow?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Wednesday's Breakfast Debate - 3/4 year contracts/TC's best X1

Post by weasel »

I wonder what the hold up is ? Possibly simply down to how the transfer fee is worked with Athletico holding a 50% clause. Or could be an injury (possibly an old one) that they just want to fully check on.

Noticed we are offering three/four year deals. Surely this is a good thing ? Always tricky with contracts as if the player does sh*t then the club are lumbered with his wages and it then also makes it harder to sell the player if he is going to be going to a lesser club with a lower wage budget. If the player does well then his agent will be banging on the door wanting to get his client a pay-rise regardless of how long is remaining on the contract. Obviously the club doesn't want to lose players on bosmans so they have to take the risk. I prefer the incentivised contract whereby if the player does well the contract is automatically extended or the contract where the club has the option to extend it for a fourth year.

Does that will mean the majority of the squad will fly out tomorrow? I would expect only a handful of players to be left behind. Most of the players will be in TC's squad plans even if they are not likely to be in his first XI when the season starts.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I remember getting stuck with a lot of over paid players while Ridsdale was at the club. It depends on the individual contract. Signing a 2nd division Spanish player or an Albanian league player to 4 year deals while making them among the top paid at the club is a problem. If we got them at back up prices and can afford wait for them to come good then excellent job.
Last edited by The Subhuman on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Best XI right now is probably

Green
Ayling
Jansson
Bellusci
Beradi
Bridcutt
Roofe
Vierra
Hernandez
Wood
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

4 year deals means the club look at these players as investments, because if they perform to expectations their value rises plus we don't get held to ransom like we did with Taylor, Byram & Cook

Ultimately, I guess the feeling is with a four year deal, you can always cut your losses with loan deal or flog them on. However we Leeds fans are more sensitive than most to long term deals as we have memories of Seth Johnson on a 5 year deal. Robbie Fowler going to Man City with us still paying a ludicrous amount for him to play for them
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

1964white wrote:4 year deals means the club look at these players as investments, because if they perform to expectations their value rises plus we don't get held to ransom like we did with Taylor, Byram & Cook

Ultimately, I guess the feeling is with a four year deal, you can always cut your losses with loan deal or flog them on. However we Leeds fans are more sensitive than most to long term deals as we have memories of Seth Johnson on a 5 year deal. Robbie Fowler going to Man City with us still paying a ludicrous amount for him to play for them
YES! :tup:
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011