Too much too quickly?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Too much too quickly?

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

Am I the only one worried that we seem to be signing too many players?

Maybe it's because I've never heard of any of them.

Bit underwhelmed really.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Re: Too much too quickly?

Post by paddy parrott »

You are right to be a little concerned and fact that all are overseas additions there are risks involved . Mainly I suppose the level of player is one thing but overwhelmingly the change from playing abroad to the English game and what playing for Leeds is all about. New season , new beginnings so some of these players have to hit the ground running and showing their true colours. TC needs time of course and the layers too .. but will both parties get it . We hope so .
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

Big squad of players has to be a good thing , players in competition for places and cover in depth should injuries happen 2 things we have been short of over ths past few seasons . Im very happy with this situation this coming season as opposed to the last few with managers playing players out of position to cover injuries and players knowing they are on the team sheet regardless how much effort they put in . :tup:
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

MissSurreyWhite wrote:Am I the only one worried that we seem to be signing too many players?

Bit underwhelmed really.

No me too, They're mostly coming from lower league football too. Depth was needed though so hopefully that's all there is too it and not a complete replacement of most of the team which basically puts us back at square one
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

beer belly bert wrote:Big squad of players has to be a good thing , players in competition for places and cover in depth should injuries happen 2 things we have been short of over ths past few seasons . Im very happy with this situation this coming season as opposed to the last few with managers playing players out of position to cover injuries and players knowing they are on the team sheet regardless how much effort they put in . :tup:

except we haven't addressed those positions where players have been playing out of position, CB, LB being the big two..yet
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

MissSurreyWhite wrote:Am I the only one worried that we seem to be signing too many players?

Bit underwhelmed really.
They seem to be coming in thick and fast
I've never heard of any of them either
Very underwhelmed I am!
But....I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens on the pitch in three and a half weeks time. :duno:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Fans getting afflicted by NPDS
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

I love that Rads and TC are going outside of the usual thinking of signing recycled journeymen that has been a trademark for over a decade. We may not have heard of many of the new signings before, but we will certainly know them by the end of the season. And we are getting the business done sooner, rather than later.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Desperately need to replace the holes left by the departures of Bartley & Taylor plus one more back-up CB

Apart from that we now have a squad that will provide us with more pace & attacking idea's

Wood must be rubbing his hands with glee !

Question....had anyone on here heard of Jansson & Berardi before they signed for Leeds ?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Crude wrote:I love that Rads and TC are going outside of the usual thinking of signing recycled journeymen that has been a trademark for over a decade. We may not have heard of many of the new signings before, but we will certainly know them by the end of the season. And we are getting the business done sooner, rather than later.

Saiz has played for 10 teams...not sure what your definition of a journeyman is...he's 26 too so bit surprised he's been around that long and still no breakthrough..

Not saying he's crap, I have no idea until he plays a few games for us. At the moment though he's nowhere near the finished article
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote:No me too, They're mostly coming from lower league football too. Depth was needed though so hopefully that's all there is too it and not a complete replacement of most of the team which basically puts us back at square one
not really

anita - prem/champ
saiz - spanish champ equivalent
ekuban - serie a (though on loan at albanian side last season)
wiedwald - bundesliga
klich - top dutch league
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

These are just depth signings for me at the moment, 50/50 whether we've improved the overall quality.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Nope! And we do now and when you think about it one bedded in quickly t 'other did need a season and despite injury has flourished . Really if say 3-4 of the new recruits does prove sound then we have reason to be both optimistic and realistic that promotion can be achieved.( this season.. ? We hope) MOT.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote:These are just depth signings for me at the moment, 50/50 whether we've improved the overall quality.
yeah i agree, apart from anita who should be a first team regular

as youve said i'd like to see us focus on defence rather than signing a 93rd midfielder :lol:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

danhirons wrote:not really

anita - prem/champ
saiz - spanish champ equivalent
ekuban - serie a (though on loan at albanian side last season)
wiedwald - bundesliga
klich - top dutch league

I like Klich, he's the best signing so far by a mile
Ekuban never played in serie A as far as I can see, not even close. His parent club is in Serie A but he's been playing in League 2 and lower by comparison on loan
We have Green Weidwald can sit on the bench
Spanish division 2 is probably bottom half of the championship
Anita is a right back for me right now, we have two of those
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Sheesh!!! think back to the January window and we are waiting for something big to happen
for the final promotion push, and all we get is Pedraza and Mo Barrow. Remember how deflated
you felt... then the signing just showed a lack of ambition.

We were too reliant on Big Chris Wood and if he was not scoring then we had to rely on the centre
backs Bartley and Jannson to nod a few home. The midfield was missing.. and tell me what other team
in the Championship did not have a backup plan to bring on an alternative strike force if their main striker was
misfiring. Roofe Doukara and Antonson failed to deliver as a strike force and we can't let that happen this season.
I am more than happy to see new faces, and it is my hope that TC can work some magic to give us a team
that will rock the rafters at ER. It is what the fans deserve, and it is long overdue.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Not sure it's the quantity of players but the fact that so little is known about how they will perform at ER in an LUFC shirt, it can work a la the DBs last season but is certainly more risky, Anita seems a solid signing and it certainly seems like there was plenty of interest in Klich and Saiz with us making strong moves to get ahead of other clubs. Ekuban feels like a punt and Wiedvald solving a problem we didn't have. If you gave me Bartley and a solid experienced LB I reckon we would have done good business and be better placed squad wise than last season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rab_rant wrote:Sheesh!!! think back to the January window and we are waiting for something big to happen
for the final promotion push, and all we get is Pedraza and Mo Barrow. Remember how deflated
you felt... then the signing just showed a lack of ambition
Spot on Rab....remember my thread 'Now Is The Time' at the end of December 2016 - nothing happened of any note, we signed two players whom added no improvement to the squad
rab_rant wrote:We were too reliant on Big Chris Wood and if he was not scoring then we had to rely on the centrebacks Bartley and Jannson to nod a few home. The midfield was missing.. and tell me what other team
in the Championship did not have a backup plan to bring on an alternative strike force if their main striker was
misfiring. Roofe Doukara and Antonsson failed to deliver as a strike force and we can't let that happen this season
Far too reliant on Wood, Pontus & Bartley

Some of our fans rate Roofe, Doukara & Antonsson even though they offered precious little last season & still believe they are good enough to achieve big things at LUFC, can't see it myself !
rab_rant wrote:I am more than happy to see new faces, and it is my hope that TC can work some magic to give us a team that will rock the rafters at ER. It is what the fans deserve, and it is long overdue
We still require three defenders which hopefully will be implemented come the start of the new season.
At least we seem to have a more solid look attacking-wise with possible game-changers on the bench
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'll ask again

Had anyone on here heard of Jansson & Berardi before they signed for Leeds ?
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Not the point..I hadn't heard of

Pedrazza
Barrow
Antonsson (played at a higher level than most of the current bunch and was banging in the goals)
Ajose
Cooper
Bamba
Bianchi
Silvestri
Roofe
Antenucci
Austin
Diagouraga
Vayrynen
Crowe
Clayton

and all of those worked out..