Too much too quickly?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Too much too quickly?

Post by whiteswan »

1964white wrote:I'll ask again

Had anyone on here heard of Jansson & Berardi before they signed for Leeds ?
No we hadn't 64 and you have a point. But we also got stuck with a load of no hopers and I just don't want that to be the case again. As I say, we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out. I'm just a little disappointed that we haven't signed any player I know of. I remember nye delight when we signed Chris Wood, because I remember how envious I was when he signed for Leicester, there's just no excitement in these signings for me at the moment. Hopefully in watching them play, there will be.
Rex deWolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: RE: Re: Too much too quickly?

Post by Rex deWolf »

faaip wrote:

except we haven't addressed those positions where players have been playing out of position, CB, LB being the big two..yet
Don't worry too much about the missing CB & LB vacancies and use the players we have. At last count we had 15 midfielders (maybe it's gone up in the last hour). I suggest we make the most of our new signings and play a 1-8-1 formation this season Image Image Image

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:
Fans getting afflicted by NPDS
Almost missed this - New Player Distress Syndrome ?

If so, it could as well be -

Unidentified Journeyman Distress Syndrome, like we had with some of MC's first batch.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

New Player Derangement Syndrome, a variation of RDS - Rookie Derangement Syndrome which is where American Football fans think their rookies will solve all their teams problems.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

TBF the only difference between MC's signing and the latest batch is we've signed this lot to 4 year contracts whereas MC often went for the loan first
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

TBF the only difference between MC's signing and the latest batch is we've signed this lot to 4 year contracts whereas MC often went for the loan first
Yes, a little bizarre to offer 4-year contracts to unproven players. MC wasn't wasteful in that sense. Like I said on another thread, I hope AR can handle the wage bill. I hear Dave is going as well as Bellusci and Erwin so we are reducing the overall bill - if somebody will buy them!
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

We just have to trust that Rads/Orta and TC and staff know what the players are capable of. I actually feel more confident going into a new season much more so than any previous summer.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote:TBF the only difference between MC's signing and the latest batch is we've signed this lot to 4 year contracts whereas MC often went for the loan first
And also worth noting was that when MC brought in all those players it was because we had an awful side and probably only 1 or 2 players worth keeping. This time it is different as we have the nucleus of a decent side already in place and these players are hopefully going to be able to give us a little bit extra to improve us at least 1 place.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

You don't think that nucleus is fast becoming redundant..I make it Jansson and Wood as the two players you'd definitely start come August. I think these are players TC hopes will be starting for us as soon as possible. We may not even own Wood by the time the season starts if a 15 M offer comes in from a prem club...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

My feeling would be that TC would for the main part have told the existing players that it was their shirt to lose and that the new guys have to come in and play better to take the shirt rather than simply throwing in all the newbies and just hoping they gel. There may also be a bit more rotation - did we run out of steam because too many players played too often? Last year it seemed that the defence picked itself from who was available with the first choice back 4 being Taylor/Berardi and then PJ, Bartley and Ayling. Midfield seemed to be a case of when someone had a bad game or two they were dropped and the next midfielder would come in for a few games with no one really being consistent or doing enough to be a definite starter. Out wide seemed a bit of rotation with again no one really making themselves undroppable. Then up top Wood played when fit.

What we have now is competition for places and players will have to earn the right to start rather than just coming in cos someone else was playing poorly.
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @richard67293755

Post by Fordy181 »

I expect Ayling, Vierra, Wood and Jansen to start defiantly with possibly Roof and Beradi. that would still be half the starting 11 been last seasons team.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Fordy181 wrote:I expect Ayling, Vierra, Wood and Jansen to start defiantly with possibly Roof and Beradi. that would still be half the starting 11 been last seasons team.
If Green is still here he's got to start, Pablo will still have a part to play - so just leaves out most of the MF who were the weak link last year......sounds like a plan :tup:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Fordy181 wrote:I expect Ayling, Vierra, Wood and Jansen to start defiantly with possibly Roof and Berardi. that would still be half the starting 11 been last seasons team.
I think Roofe will struggle to make first XI, bench player this season I suspect

Agree on the others :tup:
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

1964white wrote:I think Roofe will struggle to make first XI, bench player this season I suspect

Agree on the others :tup:
I think Roofe will struggle for starts after the opening few games, i just don't know if we will start all 3 new attacking players at once. i'm expecting a 4231 formation with wood up front on his own.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Fordy181 wrote:I think Roofe will struggle for starts after the opening few games, i just don't know if we will start all 3 new attacking players at once. i'm expecting a 4231 formation with wood up front on his own.
I'm sure I read that TC's favoured formation is 4-3-3, but that may depend on the players he has at his disposal. Personally think Roofe will be better for last year's experience, he now knows how tough the championship is. Hopefully he's done some gym work over the summer, looked a little lightweight at times last season.

Welcome to MOT, Fordy, hope you enjoy the ride!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

lufc1304 wrote:I'm sure I read that TC's favoured formation is 4-3-3, but that may depend on the players he has at his disposal. Personally think Roofe will be better for last year's experience, he now knows how tough the championship is. Hopefully he's done some gym work over the summer, looked a little lightweight at times last season.

Welcome to MOT, Fordy, hope you enjoy the ride!
Thank you. Im sure i will.

Ekuban has said he likes to play behind the main striker so i see Wood up front, with Ekuban behind him then Saiz and Alsoski at either side. I just think Ekuban might take time and Roofe take his place at first.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I personally don't think these changes are too much too quickly

Only five of our squad played consistently well throughout the season & we've have lost one of them plus Taylor

Our midfield was woeful last season

Upfront apart from Wood we had no other decent striker

We went from looking a good bet for the play-offs into freefall winning one of our last eight games. To be frank I couldn't see us winning another game if we had played all summer that's how feeble we were !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Think the free fall had something to do with a toxic relationship at the club at the end of the season. Something happened and not down to the players per se

We had the best defence in the division imo and one of the top scorers, then what happened in midfield was Vierra tired over the season, Bridcutt was never fully healthy and Roofe got messed around to much. There was too much midfield tinkering after the new year. Pedrazza and Barrow threw the team off balance.

Our failure to make the playoffs was down to Monk and I believe we would have a better chance of promotion this season if we just progressed from last season using mostly the same players (always better a second year in, that's how teams work) with the odd addition where necessary.

I really hope most of the new guys get integrated slowly when needed (injury or suspension) rather than blow everything up and start from scratch.

I'd want to see no more than 2 or 3 debutants for us in game 1
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:06 am

Think the free fall had something to do with a toxic relationship at the club at the end of the season. Something happened and not down to the players per se

We had the best defence in the division imo and one of the top scorers, then what happened in midfield was Vierra tired over the season, Bridcutt was never fully healthy and Roofe got messed around to much. There was too much midfield tinkering after the new year. Pedrazza and Barrow threw the team off balance.

Our failure to make the playoffs was down to Monk and I believe we would have a better chance of promotion this season if we just progressed from last season using mostly the same players (always better a second year in, that's how teams work) with the odd addition where necessary.

I really hope most of the new guys get integrated slowly when needed (injury or suspension) rather than blow everything up and start from scratch.

I'd want to see no more than 2 or 3 debutants for us in game 1

I agree overall and especially with the highlighted parts
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I also think Green and Pontus have chemistry and that needs to stay