Tuesday's Breakfast Debate - Boro'/Monk

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Tuesday's Breakfast Debate - Boro'/Monk

Post by 1964white »

Middlesbrough break their transfer record to sign striker Britt Assombalonga from Nottingham Forest for a fee believed to be around £14m taking their spending up to £30m plus. Monk has now brought six players in !

Is this the real reason he ditched LUFC for the money-bag smoggies?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Tuesday's Breakfast Debate - Boro'/Monk

Post by 1964white »

Always thought since Boro' were relegated from the premiership that they would be stronger than Sunderland & Hull City, both in disarray with owner/managerial problems where as Boro have a chairman who is seriously backing his new recruit

I know I sound bitter but I really hope Monk fails miserably, somehow I can't see it though
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @richard67293755

Post by Fordy181 »

I really want him to get the sack by Christmas

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Fordy181 wrote:I really want him to get the sack by Christmas

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I hate to say it but's it's more likely the inexperienced lower league manager gets fired by Christmas. I think Monk is a decent manager.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

faaip wrote:I hate to say it but's it's more likely the inexperienced lower league manager gets fired by Christmas. I think Monk is a decent manager.
while i agree with you 100% i am allowed a dream lol. and he is clearly spending big, some premier league teams probably wont spend what he is spending. Last year everyone though villa would walk the league and look what happend.

If boro are not challenging by Christmas and have spent 30 - 50 million he could be sacked
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

It's important to look at net spend, not just their outlay.

They've sold 20 million worth of players, making their net spend only around the same as ours in fact.
gessa

Post by gessa »

He says he was shackled at Swansea.

Wasn't happy with the January window here.

Now he has no excuses, he can show us all how good he is now he has his own players. 14M for Assombologna is way over the top.
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

gessa wrote:He says he was shackled at Swansea.

Wasn't happy with the January window here.

Now he has no excuses, he can show us all how good he is now he has his own players. 14M for Assombologna is way over the top.
if we are honest he made Swansea worse and bottled it with us, i firmly believe what ever the conflict was with Jansen it cost us.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

£14m is a fair old amount for Assombalonga, a good striker but seem to think he's had lots of injuries limiting his game time? Players who are injury prone always tend to be so he could be a 20 game a season man quite easily. Puts the value on our big fella up a notch.

Sure Boro will be up there at the end of the season, although I would love it, love it if we keep them out of the top 2 and spank them twice :lol:
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

monks plans were different to the boards at Leeds united then ,always liked Gibson up at Boro and he always backs his managers with cash where possible . good look to Monk don't wish him bad but my concerns are Leeds united not Boro .
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Fordy181 wrote:if we are honest he made Swansea worse and bottled it with us, i firmly believe what ever the conflict was with Jansen it cost us.
Initially he was very successful at Swansea but then things quickly unravelled and he didn't seem to have any answers - same story at Leeds. This would suggest that he is initially a good man motivator but is tactically lacking as once his tactics stopped working he didn't seem to have any answers and the players possibly stopped believing in him. Will be interesting to see how he does at Boro because at both Swansea and Leeds the expectation wasn't overly high whereas at Boro he will be expected to get automatic promotion.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

NorfolkWhite wrote:

£14m is a fair old amount for Assombalonga, a good striker but seem to think he's had lots of injuries limiting his game time? Players who are injury prone always tend to be so he could be a 20 game a season man quite easily. Puts the value on our big fella up a notch.

Sure Boro will be up there at the end of the season, although I would love it, love it if we keep them out of the top 2 and spank them twice :lol:
Not related to Kevin Keegan are you Norfolk? :lol:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

weasel wrote:

Initially he was very successful at Swansea but then things quickly unravelled and he didn't seem to have any answers - same story at Leeds. This would suggest that he is initially a good man motivator but is tactically lacking as once his tactics stopped working he didn't seem to have any answers and the players possibly stopped believing in him. Will be interesting to see how he does at Boro because at both Swansea and Leeds the expectation wasn't overly high whereas at Boro he will be expected to get automatic promotion.
Don't forget his tendency to arrogance and temper, never a good combination. That's not been directly proved but it could be his undoing.