Wednesday's Breakfast Debate - Pennington/Keepers

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Wednesday's Breakfast Debate - Pennington/Keepers

Post by 1964white »

Marco Silvestri is on the verge of a departure from Leeds United after leaving the club’s Austrian training camp to discuss a move to Hellas Verona

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/894509904?-11130:816:0
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Matthew Pennington?

Reading the toffee talk Everton forum some of the more worrying comments I found:
"Pennington turns 23 this year, I'd say if he can't show a lot more promise in the last 7 games of the season then he has no future at the club................................ some league 1 club would be willing to snap him up for nominal fee."
"I still wasn't that impressed with him. We played with an almost flat back 5 and he was out of position at least twice, one of which should have led to a goal. I didn't realise he was 23, I would have expected him to fill out more by now. "
"Well I'm not convinced by him yet, but that doesn't matter as Koeman is the one who needs convincing, and it looks like he has been. "Awful for the Albrighton goal. I've no faith in him tbh. Young lad but can't afford to carry passengers."
"Mori is obviously much better than Pennington"
"Shane Duffy esque?"
"The couple of times I've seen him, I've not seen the fuss. Seemed far too slow. Good luck to the lad though"

Some positive comments as well but I am slightly concerned as unfortunately it doesn't sound like Matt is a like for like replacement for Kyle Bartley. Will ask my Everon mates what they reckon over the next few days and report back :lol:.

How many players light are we until the first game of the season?

At least 2 Centre Back and Left Winger.

Goalkeeper Thoughts?

Potentially a massive mistake if we have made Rob Green available for transfer, as it suggests to me we want him to leave it would be nice if for once we had some good competition between the goalkeepers. I have confidence in Weidwald but having just Peacock Farrell as a reserve goalkeeper is a potential risk imo especially if Oldham didn't believe he was good enough for them.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Silvestri played his last 90 minutes for Leeds the other day as he has now signed for Verona

Surely we need to keep hold of Green

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/894557881?-11130:816:0
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No we've s**t on Green, least we can do is let him find some game time..far to good to be sat on the bench here.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @richard67293755

Post by Fordy181 »

Gary Shaw wrote: Matthew Pennington?

Reading the toffee talk Everton forum some of the more worrying comments I found:
"Pennington turns 23 this year, I'd say if he can't show a lot more promise in the last 7 games of the season then he has no future at the club................................ some league 1 club would be willing to snap him up for nominal fee."
"I still wasn't that impressed with him. We played with an almost flat back 5 and he was out of position at least twice, one of which should have led to a goal. I didn't realise he was 23, I would have expected him to fill out more by now. "
"Well I'm not convinced by him yet, but that doesn't matter as Koeman is the one who needs convincing, and it looks like he has been. "Awful for the Albrighton goal. I've no faith in him tbh. Young lad but can't afford to carry passengers."
"Mori is obviously much better than Pennington"
"Shane Duffy esque?"
"The couple of times I've seen him, I've not seen the fuss. Seemed far too slow. Good luck to the lad though"
When we signed Bartley the Swansea fans said he was the worst defender they had ever seen and they would drive him to Leeds themselves.

Plus we are a championship team not trying to challenge for the top 6 in the premier league. If we had players like Stone and jagielka in recent years we probably wouldnt give bartley any consideration at all.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Fordy181 wrote:When we signed Bartley the Swansea fans said he was the worst defender they had ever seen and they would drive him to Leeds themselves.

Plus we are a championship team not trying to challenge for the top 6 in the premier league. If we had players like Stone and jagielka in recent years we probably wouldnt give bartley any consideration at all.
Always hard to judge with centrebacks as well because a lot depends on how good the other defenders around them are. For example if a centreback has little trust in his right back then he will always be having to think about covering the right back and may subconsciously edge a few yards over so he can cover better but then might find himself out of position when the ball is played down the centre.

The comparison with Swansea's fans view of Bartley is one that Leeds fans might have shared if Jannson hadn't come in as the Bartley & Cooper partnership was very shaky indeed.
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @richard67293755

Post by Fordy181 »

weasel wrote:Always hard to judge with centrebacks as well because a lot depends on how good the other defenders around them are. For example if a centreback has little trust in his right back then he will always be having to think about covering the right back and may subconsciously edge a few yards over so he can cover better but then might find himself out of position when the ball is played down the centre.

The comparison with Swansea's fans view of Bartley is one that Leeds fans might have shared if Jannson hadn't come in as the Bartley & Cooper partnership was very shaky indeed.
Its the same with Ayling they couldn't get rid of him quick enough.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Fordy181 wrote:When we signed Bartley the Swansea fans said he was the worst defender they had ever seen and they would drive him to Leeds themselves.

Fair point, however, for every Kyle Bartley and Luke Ayling there has been a Bamba, Cooper, Bellusci, Wootton, Drury, Tate, Warnock, Collins, Bessone, Connolly etc, when we have tried this type of signing.

My Everton supporting mates think Pennington is good enough in the championship but are unconvinced he is good enough atm to play in a promotion winning top level championship side.
Bartley has probably become unrealistic now (as Clement seems to have been impressed by him in pre-season). Bartley's best qualities to me last season were not really his defending/tackling etc , his organising of the back 4 and positioning to allow Pontus the 'free role' to make all the crucial blocks and last ditch tackles were more impressive to me. Pontus is without doubt the better defender but Bartley was the leader of the back 4 last season and I fear he will be a huge miss.
Pennington sounds like he has a very similar style to Jansson which might not be a good thing, if both players are going to try and step out to win the ball back it's going to leave teams space to get in behind us if they don't win the ball. I would have preferred Jason Shackell he would have offered similar qualities to Bartley imo.

Unconvinced by Flint and Bryan as well if they sign, Bryan is good going forward but looks poor defensively to me he was especially poor against us at Elland Road last season.

I will 100% be supporting Matt but I do think we have taken a risk here and haven't shown the level of ambition I was expecting tbh when trying to find a centre back partner for Pontus.