Wednesday's Breakfast Debate - Pennington/Keepers

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Wednesday's Breakfast Debate - Pennington/Keepers

Post by 1964white »

Good Morning Everyone,

According to Phil Hay, Matthew Pennington is flying off to Austria to meet up with his new team mates...

The 22 year old has penned a season long loan. It will be interesting to find out whether we have a right to buy clause at the end of this term.

Pennington has been loaned out in previous seasons, more recently to Walsall who had a special arrangement

Who will be next to join?

How many players light are we until the first game of the season?

If rumours are to be believed, Rob Green could soon be on his way!!! The 37 year old may have started last season slowly, but got better as the season progressed helping us to pick up valuable points. It is believed that Felix is going to be number one choice this term, and Leeds know that the former England man does not want to sit on the bench, perhaps because he feels time is running out & may only have one or two seasons left in his playing career

Staying with goalkeepers, Bailey Farrell-Peacock has had his contract terminated by Oldham, and is back at Elland Road

Apparently Silvestri is on his way to Hellas Verona

Thoughts?
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @richard67293755

Re: Wednesday's Breakfast Debate - Pennington/Keepers

Post by Fordy181 »

I dont want green to leave but i fully understand the situation, if he was not in the last couple of years of his contract i think he would stick around but he is.

As for transfers i think we need a left back and possibly another CB then i think it will be just young players that join.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

A viewpoint on Pennington from the Toffees fans on one of their forums

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/to ... ton/page-3
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Apparently Rio Ferdinand reckons Pennington is the best of the future CB's around and we know that Everton rate him highly & not looking to sell him.
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

Looks like penningtons contract is up this year so if he works out we could get him for nothing
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Pennington could go either way - seems to be at that tipping point where if he has a good season with us he could make the grade if not another Scott Wootton - let's hope it's the former. Would still hope that we get another tried and tested CB in to be first choice pairing with Pontus.

Green is disappointing, although it's been on the cards. Not sure why we would want to let him go after his performances last season where he was right on top form. Heard it said that we want to play out from the back and his distribution isn't the best, risky strategy for me - pick keepers who save shots and catch crosses first and foremost and anything else is a bonus.....we'll see.

BPF is an odd situation - apparently Oldham just didn't want to complete the loan option, not heard of this before so not sure if it's finances or Shezza seeing something he didn't fancy but with Silvestri seemingly on his way we are starting to look very thin on experience in the GK department!
Last edited by NorfolkWhite on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Still need another CB for the Bolton game to keep Cooper out of the first XI

Not too fussed if he is selected for the Port Vale League Cup game
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Know nothing on Pennington bar what I've read here, but if Everton rate him highly, then he must have something.

We need a LB and another CH, maybe a back up striker. As for Green, if that's confirmed and nor a rumour, then it is either a very poor decision by our management, or understandable if driven by Green himself. Either way, we need another keeper, as i'd be concerned if we only had BPF as back-up
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:Know nothing on Pennington bar what I've read here, but if Everton rate him highly, then he must have something.

We need a LB and another CH, maybe a back up striker. As for Green, if that's confirmed and nor a rumour, then it is either a very poor decision by our management, or understandable if driven by Green himself. Either way, we need another keeper, as i'd be concerned if we only had BPF as back-up
Me too Nick as BPF is far from ready for a first team place right now, he looks like a lad who has just taken his
O-levels :wink:
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

1964white wrote:Me too Nick as BPF is far from ready for a first team place right now, he looks like a lad who has just taken his
O-levels :wink:
Well, seeing as O Levels were discontinued in 1987, that would make him about 46 - plenty of experience there. :-D
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:Well, seeing as O Levels were discontinued in 1987, that would make him about 46 - plenty of experience there. :-D
Wow !

I honestly didn't know that :shock: I know they have the GSCE where students achieve different grades but always thought they went through the O-level process too

Anyway you know what I mean when I referred to BPF's boyish looks
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote:A viewpoint on Pennington from the Toffees fans on one of their forums

http://www.toffeetalk.com/index.php?/to ... ton/page-3

Sounds like what we say about Cooper...can be good then screws up.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

This really has the feeling of out with the old in with the new complete rebuild which should take 2-3 years
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

i really do feel like people are been arsh on the new keeper he might do amazing for us
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If I had my arm twisted and were forced to guess, by the end of August most of last years heroes will be gone, out on loan or playing for the reserves
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Fordy181 wrote:i really do feel like people are been arsh on the new keeper he might do amazing for us

It's just we've traded a good keeper who worked very well with Jansson for a keeper we know nothing about bar that he's good with the ball at his feet. He needs to start well or Leeds fans will be on his back.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:If I had my arm twisted and were forced to guess, by the end of August most of last years heroes will be gone, out on loan or playing for the reserves
How many heroes did we have last season :shock:

Only the keeper, back four & Wood consistently came out with credit, the rest were distinctly average !
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote:It's just we've traded a good keeper who worked very well with Jansson for a keeper we know nothing about bar that he's good with the ball at his feet. He needs to start well or Leeds fans will be on his back.
The majority of fans were on Green's back before he even made his debut for us. RG did amazing to win them round, although a few would still say he was sh*t. I would expect Green to start one of the remaining friendlies and Felix the other. As most people seem to be about to watch the friendlies on LUTV we should at least get a bit more of an idea how good Felix is. People seem to just be thinking he is useless because they have been told he is good at a sweeper role - it doesn't automatically mean he is sh*t at the rest of his game. He has been playing at a very decent level so he must have something about him.

If Orta or TC view him as better than Green, after last season's form, then they must rate him highly. This will be a big season for Orta to show how good he is at spotting players.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Fordy181 wrote:Looks like penningtons contract is up this year so if he works out we could get him for nothing
He is only 22, so we would have to pay Everton a fee, even if it goes to tribunal.

Incidentally, I remember watching him in the Liverpool derby last year, where he got a bit of a runaround from Firmino, Sade and Coutinho (no shame in that). After being at fault for Liverpool's goal, he then popped up at the other end with the equaliser.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Fordy181
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Fordy181 »

I just ment if he wanted to join and we wanted him there is nothing stopping us. If it's going well they might even sell in January

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk