BBC Salaries.....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Re: BBC Salaries.....

Post by Durly »

Ronan wrote:Subtlety isn't in my nature......this is more an attack on personalities....Evans and Lineker are a tad overpaid...but in the grand scheme of things...think about footballers in China...now that is obscene.

If they pay their taxes we can't complain...if an employer came to us and asked offered us half a million would we turn it down ??

The BBC is up against many competitors and in my humble opinion they do a bloody good job.
Agreed, Ronan. The BBC is not perfect, far from it but it does a very decent job and provides a lot of superb entertainment.
Of course some of their staff will be seen as being "overpaid" and I can understand why people see this as a negative when so many people are struggling but, in all honesty, as I said, its a balancing act. Pay peanuts and you don't compete on any level with the commercial channels and the quality of the output becomes inferior and people switch off. There has to be the budget to produce a quality service.
As I say, this is quite clearly a witch hunt. The government have been consistently unhappy for years about the output of the perceived "lefty" BBC and are always looking for a way of putting the boot in.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

I'd pay my licence fee for BBC Four and BBC 6 Music alone.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Ronan wrote:Oh ffs catch a grip please !!! There are people dying in the world........
What of? We know Wimbledon is on......it will be on the sports news in a minute, just do the weather thanks, studio is fine, all I want to know is do I need a brolly, sunscreen or both - if they are going to tax everyone for their entertainment service they had better be ready to explain how they spend it.
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

the days of the bbc been funded by the public are numbered as is the European grants they get , that's why they promote anti brexit . if you take the salaries published as genuine figures all it shows is that the BBC stars get a fraction of a salary compared to the stars on ITV (Ant and Dec for example ) ,
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

NorfolkWhite wrote:What of? We know Wimbledon is on......it will be on the sports news in a minute, just do the weather thanks, studio is fine, all I want to know is do I need a brolly, sunscreen or both - if they are going to tax everyone for their entertainment service they had better be ready to explain how they spend it.
Perhaps Ronan was a little strong there but, in all seriousness, how much more do you think it costs the BBC for a weather reporter to stand on the concourse at Wimbledon and do the weather versus standing in the studio doing the weather?

Also, Wimbledon is one of the BBC's flagship, sporting events. They've been outbid on so much over the years. They don't have that much left now. No test cricket, limited football, no Derby, no rugby league, they have to share 6 Nations coverage, no golf etc etc........ They're always going to rinse the Wimbledon coverage for all it's worth.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Durly wrote:Perhaps Ronan was a little strong there but, in all seriousness, how much more do you think it costs the BBC for a weather reporter to stand on the concourse at Wimbledon and do the weather versus standing in the studio doing the weather?

Also, Wimbledon is one of the BBC's flagship, sporting events. They've been outbid on so much over the years. They don't have that much left now. No test cricket, limited football, no Derby, no rugby league, they have to share 6 Nations coverage, no golf etc etc........ They're always going to rinse the Wimbledon coverage for all it's worth.
Sorry Durly....not strong enough....pettiness like NW's infuriates me....it is so inconsequential....now large corporations not paying their fair share of tax does.....or councils buying the cheapest form of cladding.

This BBC witch hunt is a white elephant
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Durly wrote:I'd pay my licence fee for BBC Four and BBC 6 Music alone.

Four extra, Radio 4, Digital sport and test match special ...plus the crucial world service and always broadcast shipping forecast make the BBC today totally unique in broadcasting in the world. No one is more respected and lets not forget we sell a lot of programmes to the US and the ROTW that that probably pays for those above names...

Graham Norton is quite simply the best ever chat show host to start with....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Ronan wrote:Sorry Durly....not strong enough....pettiness like NW's infuriates me....it is so inconsequential....now large corporations not paying their fair share of tax does.....or councils buying the cheapest form of cladding.

Oh, completely mate. Total white elephant.

Agree 100% about the other two points as well.

Re: the BBC though. People really should be very very careful what they wish for. If we lose it or eventually have to accept some form of emasculated version, then we all lose.......and once it goes, it ain't coming back.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Finnemore' Double acts are worth a large chunk of the Licence fee on their own
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

Ronan wrote:Subtlety isn't in my nature......this is more an attack on personalities....Evans and Lineker are a tad overpaid...but in the grand scheme of things...think about footballers in China...now that is obscene.

If they pay their taxes we can't complain...if an employer came to us and asked offered us half a million would we turn it down ??

The BBC is up against many competitors and in my humble opinion they do a bloody good job.

They're not a tad overpaid they are grossly overpaid. This is about taxpayers money being spent on this "talent" :roll: I don't contribute to footballers in China unless you surprise me and tell me otherwise!!

I barely watch any television these days, Sky news in a morning, GOT now that it's back, again on Sky, I did watch Dr Who on the BBC but the last series was getting ridiculously pc. :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

AAhhhh good old auntie Beeb ,
Horlicks pathe news Mr chumley Warner see Compton got a 100 My dear old thing.
Aggers blowers stupid old farts
It'll be as deed as the dodo in 10 years.
Much better when good auld uncle frank Bough was whoring aroound & snorting
cocaine off selina Scott's Nick nacks, :pig: about the last time a bought a licence anyhoo
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

liggy wrote:AAhhhh good old auntie Beeb ,
Horlicks pathe news Mr chumley Warner see Compton got a 100 My dear old thing.
Aggers blowers stupid old farts
It'll be as deed as the dodo in 10 years.
Much better when good auld uncle frank Bough was whoring aroound & snorting
cocaine off selina Scott's Nick nacks, :pig: about the last time a bought a licence anyhoo
:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

Moaning on together :sleep3: :sleep3: :sleep3:
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Ronan wrote:Sorry Durly....not strong enough....pettiness like NW's infuriates me....it is so inconsequential....now large corporations not paying their fair share of tax does.....or councils buying the cheapest form of cladding.

Not strong enough.....it was more a Room 101 suggestion rather than a serious idea that if the Beeb cancelled "on location' weather forecasts all the political ills of the country would be solved. :|
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

A good reason for liking the BBC is for the lack of adverts. You think adverts over there are bad - you should try the U.S., which has at least double the amount.

I know the BBC is accused of being too left wing and the same could be also be said about P.B.S. over here, but over here you need something to balance the {cough)slightly(cough) right-wing Fox News a tad.
I like much of the BBC and PBS and I don't have to watch shows that are more left-leaning if I don't want. Over here there is no license fee for PBS so they have a day each month where they solicit sponsors to pay the bills and I have contributed some over the years here.

About presenters, I think we just have to accept though that TV is different and people aren't going to go on the bus or train from Central London to Wimbledon.(for example). Also, I'm sure there's at least a section of viewers who like the weather coming from Wimbledon in the fortnight when they can feel part of the days build up. Nobody's going to do a Ken Livingstone and get on public transport, especially with some of the gear they may have to take with them. Rather than taxis I would have thought they'd all go in a BBC TV van, because I'm sure they're not using Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club cameras, etc.
Not only that, but presenters and commentators have to look smart for their work. Can you imagine turning up somewhere all hot and sweaty after walking half a mile in hot weather or like a drowned rat if it rains? You have to be practical.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Norm wrote:A good reason for liking the BBC is for the lack of adverts. You think adverts over there are bad - you should try the U.S., which has at least double the amount.

I know the BBC is accused of being too left wing and the same could be also be said about P.B.S. over here, but over here you need something to balance the {cough)slightly(cough) right-wing Fox News a tad.
I like much of the BBC and PBS and I don't have to watch shows that are more left-leaning if I don't want. Over here there is no license fee for PBS so they have a day each month where they solicit sponsors to pay the bills and I have contributed some over the years here.

About presenters, I think we just have to accept though that TV is different and people aren't going to go on the bus or train from Central London to Wimbledon.(for example). Also, I'm sure there's at least a section of viewers who like the weather coming from Wimbledon in the fortnight when they can feel part of the days build up. Nobody's going to do a Ken Livingstone and get on public transport, especially with some of the gear they may have to take with them. Rather than taxis I would have thought they'd all go in a BBC TV van, because I'm sure they're not using Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Club cameras, etc.
Not only that, but presenters and commentators have to look smart for their work. Can you imagine turning up somewhere all hot and sweaty after walking half a mile in hot weather or like a drowned rat if it rains? You have to be practical.
Spot on, Norm. :tup:
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Durly wrote:Oh, completely mate. Total white elephant.

Agree 100% about the other two points as well.

Re: the BBC though. People really should be very very careful what they wish for. If we lose it or eventually have to accept some form of emasculated version, then we all lose.......and once it goes, it ain't coming back.
Actually........we mean red herring. :lol: