Monday Breakfast Debate - Your First XI v Oxford

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Monday Breakfast Debate - Your First XI v Oxford

Post by 1964white »

Good Morning Everyone

Leeds concluded their pre-season tour of Austria with a 4-2 as the hands of La Liga side SD Eibar. With the season kicking off in less than two weeks TC still has a lot of work to do.

Our final friendly game is v Oxford at ER on Saturday

Who would you start in the first XI for the visit of Oxford on the evidence so far ?

Of course your preferred line-up may change should we make any significant signings this week
1964white

Re: Monday Breakfast Debate - Your First XI v Oxford

Post by 1964white »

Anita has impressed me in both full-back positions, as he is officially a DM I would like to see how he looks in the middle of the park as we already have two excellent full-backs

Wiedwald

Ayling Jansson Pennington Berardi

Anita O'Kane Hernandez

Roofe Wood Alioski
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Wiedwald

Ayling Jansson Pennington Berardi

Anita Vierra

Gianni Saiz Klich

Wood

Depending on fitness of course...I'd give them al about an hour
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Can I say I don't think we're anywhere close to being ready for the new season, this could be a brutal opening to 17-18
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

faaip wrote:Can I say I don't think we're anywhere close to being ready for the new season, this could be a brutal opening to 17-18

Have to agree, No where near enough organisation pre season.

Wouldn't play Jansson against Oxford, would start with the 2 that will start in the middle against Bolton.
hector

Post by hector »

gessa wrote:Have to agree, No where near enough organisation pre season.

Wouldn't play Jansson against Oxford, would start with the 2 that will start in the middle against Bolton.

Ditto :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Can we replace Hector with an auto prompt machine.....poor blokes D-I-T-O keys are wearing out
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

Can we replace Hector with an auto prompt machine.....poor blokes D-I-T-O keys are wearing out
Ditto
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Whether TC is the right fit for us only time will tell but I feel more trepidation this year than last, mainly because of the late start and we don't appear to have a settled defence as yet.

It's a shame about the Bartley and Green situations - let's hope Pennington, Anita and Wiedwald work out.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Good point Ges, Jansson is fit anyway so Cooper & Pennington likely to start v Oxford
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Can we replace Hector with an auto prompt machine.....poor blokes D-I-T-O keys are wearing out
He's like a robot !
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

May be moot if he's injured anyway.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Think we have to start with the team Christiansen plans to start at Bolton. I agree with Ges no point playing Pontus we have to try and find the best of a bad bunch from our other centre back options for the first 2 games.

I would go 4-3-3:
---------------------------------------Wiedwald---------------------------------------

Anita---------------Pennington------------------Ayling----------------Berardi

-------------------------------------------Vieira------------------------------------------
-----------------------------Klich----------------------O'Kane-------------------------

---------Alioski------------------------Wood----------------------Roofe-------------

Subs: Green, O'Connor, Bridcutt, Hernandez, Sacko, Saiz

Would be nice to see the majority of the team play 90 minutes, however, I would give Green, O'Connor, Bridcutt, Hernandez and Saiz 30 minutes to make a claim to be in the starting 11 at Bolton.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Can I say I don't think we're anywhere close to being ready for the new season, this could be a brutal opening to 17-18
Once again we didn't have clear run what with the sale of the club to Radz & then Monk deciding he didn't want to be a Leeds which hindered our pre-season. It's all been rather rushed since to say the least. Could do with another five weeks preparation tbh !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gary Shaw wrote:Think we have to start with the team Christiansen plans to start at Bolton. I agree with Ges no point playing Pontus we have to try and find the best of a bad bunch from our other centre back options for the first 2 games.

I would go 4-3-3:
---------------------------------------Wiedwald---------------------------------------

Anita---------------Pennington------------------Ayling----------------Berardi

-------------------------------------------Vieira------------------------------------------
-----------------------------Klich----------------------O'Kane-------------------------

---------Alioski------------------------Wood----------------------Roofe-------------

Subs: Green, O'Connor, Bridcutt, Hernandez, Sacko, Saiz

Would be nice to see the majority of the team play 90 minutes, however, I would give Green, O'Connor, Bridcutt, Hernandez and Saiz 30 minutes to make a claim to be in the starting 11 at Bolton.
Has Klich played in any of the pre-season games yet ? Surely needs this game if he has any chance of making the final 18 come the Bolton game
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:May be moot if he's injured anyway.
Berardi has picked up an injury too :(
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We could have set up more practice games (still should imo) and maybe concentrated on bare area of the roster rather keep signing midfielders.

we should have three games in front of good sized crowds rather than 1 man and his dog. (Even MC got us Newcastle) and we should be looking at the best starting 11 (injuries aside) for the final pre-season game.

I would start Jansson v Oxford because we need to get Pennington and Jansson as much game time together. 60 minutes of Ayling/Cooper/AN Other at CB v Oxford ain't going to help us come game one and two.
Last edited by The Subhuman on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I think right now Beradi, Klich and Jansson are all in danger of missing the Oxford game due to injury
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

We don't know what training etc is going on behind closed doors. Take the Burspaspor friendly and if it hadn't been for the Burspapor website announcing it we may never have known the game took place. For all we know there may be 2 or 3 more of these type of matches taking place. Also TC is having a lot of training sessions with the this may be more important as we have changed style quite a lot since last season and despite some people thinking you can change formation overnight and everything magically would fall into place it is not the case and players need to be coached repeatedly into where they should be, what runs they should make etc for TC's formation and style to work.

So far as well we have seen every player, barring Klich, being given game time and due to this it is hard for understandings to happen as someone may have played alongside a different player every match. I wouldn't worry too much about our pre-season, same as I wouldn't be c**k-a-hoop if we'd won every match 6-0. We don't know how strong the opposition line-up was, how seriously they were taking it and likewise we wouldn't have had our strongest XI all playing together.

We got off to an awful start last season, where we were definitely under-prepared but this season we have had more matches and more training sessions and a more settled squad despite the influx of new players (compared to last year when Green, Ayling, Bartley, Vieira, Antonnson, Roofe etc were all new to the team and thrown in)
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

1964white wrote:Has Klich played in any of the pre-season games yet ? Surely needs this game if he has any chance of making the final 18 come the Bolton game
Think he played in the first one, just hoping he will be fit in time for this weekend.
If not then I would play Pablo alongside O'Kane.