Leeds vs Oxford- Final Pre season friendly Thoughts/News/Reports etc

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Re: Leeds vs Oxford- Final Pre season friendly Thoughts/News/Reports etc

Post by dezzy »

Chris Wood, is a concern for me, was surprised to see him back in pre season so early comsidering he was off with New Zealand untill recently enough.
The championship is long and hard enough without having a proper break between seasons, both physically and mentally he'll find it tough, hopefully both the coaching staff and fans can cut him some slack.
I'm really excited by Klich, going to be a big player for us
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

1964white wrote:Lovely pass from Klich to Dallas who scores with a delightful shot from the edge of the box

Admit it you wanted to say "brilliant" from Dallas didn't you? :wink:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

dezzy wrote:Chris Wood, is a concern for me, was surprised to see him back in pre season so early comsidering he was off with New Zealand untill recently enough.
The championship is long and hard enough without having a proper break between seasons, both physically and mentally he'll find it tough, hopefully both the coaching staff and fans can cut him some slack.
I'm really excited by Klich, going to be a big player for us
Looks a very good player dezzy :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

NorfolkWhite wrote:Admit it you wanted to say "brilliant" from Dallas didn't you? :wink:
I did Norfolk :wink: just when I was becoming frustrated with him again he pops up with a BRILLIANT goal :lol:
Rex deWolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Rex deWolf »

Didn't see it but sounds like no-one really disappointed?

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk
1964white

Post by 1964white »

After a ropey start we improved as the game went on especially after the first goal which seem to settle us down somewhat. We were better in the second-half looking more composed & in control of the game. O'Kane MOTM for me

Wiedwald - not really been tested yet, good with the ball at his feet
Ayling - got caught out of position a couple of times
Cooper - did well today, have to remember this is his level
Pennington - looks a decent acquisition, neither CB severely tested yet
Berardi - looked like he was still on his holidays in the first half
O'Kane - once again looked fit as a butchers dog, great play assisting Roofe's goal
Hernandez - sloppy passing still in his locker
Phillips - not as good as his other pre-season games
Roofe - lively, seems like he has a extra-gear, not running around like a headless chicken
Alioski - obviously got plenty of skill, unconvinced today
Wood - worryingly seems a bit jaded

Subs
Anita - like this fella although he wasn't on for long
Bridcutt - only got ten minutes but nothing to shout home about
Klich - superb pass for the Dallas goal, decent footballer
Dallas - delightful strike for the first goal
Saiz - impressed, a lot more to come from this fella I feel
Sacko - skins a defender with ease & then screws up with his final ball, nothing unusual there
Ekuban - likes a trick or two, may need time to settle as will all the newbies
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

I only saw 5-10 mins. But we were coasting really as I just saw the final minutes . Ryman O'kane is a terrific player and you know he could be the inspiration we want this season he has all the ability obviously and hopefully the fitness for a decent run this term. Quoting a former player last year " Leeds have signed a top player in O'kane. I watched him for Ireland be it a substitute but his passing and control was a stand out and honestly the way he cajoled and spoke to younger teammates all the game is to his credit.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

A mixed performance from us really, we had some excellent moments and some really sloppy moments as well a lot of 'unforced errors' to an extent through poor decision making and one or two players appearing a little bit too determined to impress that it impacted badly on the team overall, however, some very good individual performances as well.
Second half was better than the first half imo.
At the end of the day Wiedwald hasn't really had to make a save, we controlled the vast majority of the game and Pontus, Klich (from the start) and Vieira were big losses and would have made that a far easier game imo, so I left Elland Road feeling quite happy going into the season.
Tactically there are some similarities between Christiansen and Monk's , we still seem happy to play out the back but what I did notice was our reluctance to play out the back through our full backs, O'Kane was effectively playing the Alonso/Pirlo role. We are quite slow and patient building up in our own half but when we get over the halfway line we seem to have a change of pace and begin to involve our full backs. Also noticed how many people we commit going forward for most attacks we had 8 players in the opposition half with just Pennington and Cooper staying back, O'Kane was playing defensive midfield but you could have mistaken him for playing in the 10 role at times he was given that much freedom. It is certainly exciting to see us doing that but we could be at risk of counter attacks vs the better teams.
Player Ratings:
Wiedwald 6- Didn't have much to do but he commanded his area throughout but his distribution at times I thought was poor.
Ayling 5- Poorest I have seen Ayling play this calendar year, wasteful going forward and often out of position when we didn't have the ball.
Pennington 7- A shaky start but I was impressed with him today he doesn't seem the quickest but his composure on the ball and being proactive at dealing with situations impressed me.
Cooper 6- Defensively he did well but some poor distribution and passing broke down a lot of our attacks. Very frustrating on the ball in the first half.
Berardi 7- Solid as ever we don't need a new left back imo, you would have to pay some money to get a left back as solid defensively as Berardi.
O'Kane 8- Very impressive he was everywhere, every time he got the ball he tried to be creative, brilliant work for the 1st goal he was very much the conductor of the team. One or two poor passes but a good performance overall. Eunan would be my choice as next captain tbh I think his style suits it and midfielders are always our best captains.
Phillips 5- Poor unfortunately , some good contributions defensively but awful passing and decision making throughout. He looked determined to impress Christiansen (i.e. trying to play the same 40 yard pass about 3 times in the first half less succesful each time he tried it) but wish he had stuck to keeping it simple and playing to his strengths. A 5 might be a bit generous tbh but he did have 1-2 good moments.
Hernandez 4- Awful, constantly lost the ball in dangerous areas, poor passing-decision making and positioning.
Roofe 8- Man Of The Match Didn't see loads of the ball but every time he did something happened incredibly efficient awesome performance.
Wood 6- Link up play was as strong as ever remarkable considering how poor our 'creative' midfielders Pablo and Kalvin were, hard working as ever twice winning the ball back from the Oxford defence in dangerous areas. Would have been a 7 or 8 but missed a great chance in the second half. A very harsh 6 but not quite a 7.
Alioski 5- One lovely piece of skill in the first half and he looks very hardworking. A quiet game though really and twice failed to start counter attacks from very good starting positions by dribbling the ball out of play. A very promising player though :tup:.
Subs:
Sacko 5- Looked brilliant at first and started very positively but his final ball and decision making really wasn't good enough. He was very quiet towards the end of his 30 minutes on the pitch.
Saiz 7- Impressive, lovely first touch and close control, showed some very clever ideas.
Dallas 8- The star man of pre season, I have been very critical of Stuart over the last 2 years (as you will probably have realised :wink:) but today he was brilliant direct whenever he got the ball and never gave up on anything. Oh and scored an outstanding goal.
Anita 6- Wasn't really tested.
Klich 8- Wow if this is Klich not fully fit I would love to see him at 100%, outstanding contribution comfortable on the ball and his vision was exceptional didn't seem at all unfit to me.
Bridcutt 6- Similar to Anita didn't have much to do in a defensive role.
Ekuban 5- Had a chance for a 1 on 1 but didn't position himself very well, 2 minutes later set up a great chance for Sacko through a back heel.

Difficult to decide on a man of the match but Roofe just about imo.
Rex deWolf
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: RE: Re: Leeds vs Oxford- Final Pre season friendly Thoughts/News/Reports etc

Post by Rex deWolf »

Gary Shaw wrote:A mixed performance from us really, we had some excellent moments and some really sloppy moments as well a lot of 'unforced errors' to an extent through poor decision making and one or two players appearing a little bit too determined to impress that it impacted badly on the team overall, however, some very good individual performances as well.
Second half was better than the first half imo.
At the end of the day Wiedwald hasn't really had to make a save, we controlled the vast majority of the game and Pontus, Klich (from the start) and Vieira were big losses and would have made that a far easier game imo, so I left Elland Road feeling quite happy going into the season.
Tactically there are some similarities between Christiansen and Monk's , we still seem happy to play out the back but what I did notice was our reluctance to play out the back through our full backs, O'Kane was effectively playing the Alonso/Pirlo role. We are quite slow and patient building up in our own half but when we get over the halfway line we seem to have a change of pace and begin to involve our full backs. Also noticed how many people we commit going forward for most attacks we had 8 players in the opposition half with just Pennington and Cooper staying back, O'Kane was playing defensive midfield but you could have mistaken him for playing in the 10 role at times he was given that much freedom. It is certainly exciting to see us doing that but we could be at risk of counter attacks vs the better teams.
Player Ratings:
Wiedwald 6- Didn't have much to do but he commanded his area throughout but his distribution at times I thought was poor.
Ayling 5- Poorest I have seen Ayling play this calendar year, wasteful going forward and often out of position when we didn't have the ball.
Pennington 7- A shaky start but I was impressed with him today he doesn't seem the quickest but his composure on the ball and being proactive at dealing with situations impressed me.
Cooper 6- Defensively he did well but some poor distribution and passing broke down a lot of our attacks. Very frustrating on the ball in the first half.
Berardi 7- Solid as ever we don't need a new left back imo, you would have to pay some money to get a left back as solid defensively as Berardi.
O'Kane 8- Very impressive he was everywhere, every time he got the ball he tried to be creative, brilliant work for the 1st goal he was very much the conductor of the team. One or two poor passes but a good performance overall. Eunan would be my choice as next captain tbh I think his style suits it and midfielders are always our best captains.
Phillips 5- Poor unfortunately , some good contributions defensively but awful passing and decision making throughout. He looked determined to impress Christiansen (i.e. trying to play the same 40 yard pass about 3 times in the first half less succesful each time he tried it) but wish he had stuck to keeping it simple and playing to his strengths. A 5 might be a bit generous tbh but he did have 1-2 good moments.
Hernandez 4- Awful, constantly lost the ball in dangerous areas, poor passing-decision making and positioning.
Roofe 8- Man Of The Match Didn't see loads of the ball but every time he did something happened incredibly efficient awesome performance.
Wood 6- Link up play was as strong as ever remarkable considering how poor our 'creative' midfielders Pablo and Kalvin were, hard working as ever twice winning the ball back from the Oxford defence in dangerous areas. Would have been a 7 or 8 but missed a great chance in the second half. A very harsh 6 but not quite a 7.
Alioski 5- One lovely piece of skill in the first half and he looks very hardworking. A quiet game though really and twice failed to start counter attacks from very good starting positions by dribbling the ball out of play. A very promising player though :tup:.
Subs:
Sacko 5- Looked brilliant at first and started very positively but his final ball and decision making really wasn't good enough. He was very quiet towards the end of his 30 minutes on the pitch.
Saiz 7- Impressive, lovely first touch and close control, showed some very clever ideas.
Dallas 8- The star man of pre season, I have been very critical of Stuart over the last 2 years (as you will probably have realised :wink:) but today he was brilliant direct whenever he got the ball and never gave up on anything. Oh and scored an outstanding goal.
Anita 6- Wasn't really tested.
Klich 8- Wow if this is Klich not fully fit I would love to see him at 100%, outstanding contribution comfortable on the ball and his vision was exceptional didn't seem at all unfit to me.
Bridcutt 6- Similar to Anita didn't have much to do in a defensive role.
Ekuban 5- Had a chance for a 1 on 1 but didn't position himself very well, 2 minutes later set up a great chance for Sacko through a back heel.

Difficult to decide on a man of the match but Roofe just about imo.
Impressive report ImageImage

Sent from my SM-T815 using Tapatalk
toffeeboyste
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by toffeeboyste »

Cracking performance by young Matty Pennington. Caught the highlights, strong and confident.

What you will get from him is maturity and strength. Brilliant game reader.

One thing he lacks is pace. Evertonian don't seem.to think he will make it, but plenty at the club think he will.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Wellcome to the Leeds forum mate and we are hoping that Pennington settles well.
He probably will be an automatic choice for a start come weekend and we all wish him well. I'd of course have a concern about his "lack of pace" but am very encouraged by your former observation that should stand up in this league . What we have to be this season is more compact in defending set pieces and picking up less or fewer silly cautions / red cards.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd be happier with Bartley but beggars can't be choosers
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

toffeeboyste wrote:Cracking performance by young Matty Pennington. Caught the highlights, strong and confident.

What you will get from him is maturity and strength. Brilliant game reader.

One thing he lacks is pace. Evertonian don't seem.to think he will make it, but plenty at the club think he will.

I'm impressed with Pennington on what I've seen so far !

Thank you Toffeeboy for your thoughts :tup:
toffeeboyste
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: RE: Re: Leeds vs Oxford- Final Pre season friendly Thoughts/News/Reports etc

Post by toffeeboyste »

paddy parrott wrote:Wellcome to the Leeds forum mate and we are hoping that Pennington settles well.
He probably will be an automatic choice for a start come weekend and we all wish him well. I'd of course have a concern about his "lack of pace" but am very encouraged by your former observation that should stand up in this league . What we have to be this season is more compact in defending set pieces and picking up less or fewer silly cautions / red cards.
He is still a kid remember so even season pros make rash challengers.

He played in the Merseyside derby and scored. So can handle the pressure.

I think he will be a great asset to Leeds. I live in York (exiled scouser) so may travel up to Ellend road

1964white

Post by 1964white »

toffeeboyste wrote:He is still a kid remember so even season pros make rash challengers.

He played in the Merseyside derby and scored. So can handle the pressure.

I think he will be a great asset to Leeds. I live in York (exiled scouser) so may travel up to Ellend road

Only 28 miles from me Toffeeboy :tup:

The Mrs & I love York
toffeeboyste
Ballboy
Ballboy

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Leeds vs Oxford- Final Pre season friendly Thoughts/News/Reports etc

Post by toffeeboyste »

1964white wrote:
Only 28 miles from me Toffeeboy :tup:

The Mrs & I love York
Aye. I could have moved to worse places haha. Lovely city is York.