Saturday Breakfast Debate - Wood on his way to Burnley

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Saturday Breakfast Debate - Wood on his way to Burnley

Post by The Subhuman »

Actually thinking about it why would Burnley swap Vokes for Wood, Vokes must be worth 10-15 himself after last week. Wood would back Volks up in Burnley surely?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

It doesn't sound like £20 million more £15 million. So much for holding out? And the time taken to get a replacement and one that fits in, Sounds like our season is scuppered.... again.... :-(

Bit fed up with this. Feeder club for Norwich and now Burnley. Crying out loud.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Personally I'm more worried about how good the manager is than losing last years player of the season, none of us seem too bothered we're letting last years hero Rob Green fester on the bench. We'll survive and there was little hope of promotion this season with all the changes going on right now...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

The problem is (without being accused of stating the bleedin' obvious) that the Premier League has become such a bloated cash beast now that any offer from there for a Championship player at any club is likely to turn said player's head. Doesn't matter whether it's Burnley, Stoke, Bournemouth, Liverpool or scum.......they're all rolling in free TV money. Until we are back in the Prem ourselves this will keep happening.
I think we all feared this and, much as I love Wood and really hate the thought of him going, we now have (if all the rumours are true and he's gone by Monday) TEN DAYS to get a player/players in who are going to replace his goals and actually, at the start of the window, the idea was to ADD to them, not just replace them.
Once again, unfortunately, we seem to have been ill-prepared for this occurrence when it was pretty obvious that our and the player's resolve would be tested at some point this summer.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

faaip wrote:Actually thinking about it why would Burnley swap Vokes for Wood, Vokes must be worth 10-15 himself after last week. Wood would back Volks up in Burnley surely?
Agreed. No way Vokes is coming here.
gessa

Post by gessa »

This would be a massive PR mistake by the club unless they have a high profile replacement lined up. We already need aother striker so this would mean 2 are required. Wood is reportedly on 15k per week, Burnley have a ceiling of 30k so he will double his wage i suppose, who wouldnt have their head turned by that. There's talk of no loyalty but it was only 12 months ago he was been referred to as plank on here and also lamblated elsewhere as well as being booed from the terraces so i imagine loyalty won't enter his head. Is it all about money of course it is you don't go to Burnley to enhance your career.
Is he a Premiership player, not imo, he'll get nowhere near the space he got last season and he will be easy to read for quality defenders.i doubt he'll get double figures, in fact if he stays here i don't think he'd reach 20 , he's had his season.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Can't disagree mate with you there . Wood is probably at his pinnacle of career just now and the improved money might just sway him.. hope not . Can see him gave another great season should he decide to stay .
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:This would be a massive PR mistake by the club unless they have a high profile replacement lined up. We already need aother striker so this would mean 2 are required. Wood is reportedly on 15k per week, Burnley have a ceiling of 30k so he will double his wage i suppose, who wouldnt have their head turned by that. There's talk of no loyalty but it was only 12 months ago he was been referred to as plank on here and also lamblated elsewhere as well as being booed from the terraces so i imagine loyalty won't enter his head. Is it all about money of course it is you don't go to Burnley to enhance your career.
Is he a Premiership player, not imo he'll get nowhere near the space he got last season and he will be easy to read for quality defenders.i doubt he'll get double figures, in fact if he stays here i don't think he'd reach 20 , he's had his season.
Not imo too mate

Cup games & splinter bum time for Chris Wood for the rest of the season
Reidy
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @Reidyboy30

Post by Reidy »

Can't blame the lad for following what appears to be a good career path - had a strong season last year, nearly helped us to promotion, and now he has a chance at say 30+ games in the Premier League, if he does well could mean a move to bigger club with more chance at staying in the top flight. His other option? Stay at ER and hope we can go the extra step this season - that is a big gamble, so he's likely to play the odds, with a guaranteed hike in salary to boot. Gutted to see him leave, but good luck to him I say - think he'll need it! Now, as to his replacement ...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I would be disappointed if we got Vokes, he has never been prolific and I would only see him mustering around 10 goals in a season in the championship.

I would hope that the club has a list of accessible targets lined up in the event of Wood moving on - there would have been no point signing any prior to Wood going as they would presumably be players that would be expecting to start not simply be a sub for Wood and insurance policy for if he got injured.

I would also not blame Wood for wanting to leave - his stock is at the highest it has been during his career and he now has the chance to make the move that will set him up for life regardless of whether he succeeds or fails. The jury is certainly still out over whether last season was a flash in the pan or whether he can continually hit those heights. Even last year he missed some sitters.
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

Nothing concrete on this from Hay or Pope and as yet nothing on Sky . Wood has travelled to Sunderland and at 4.30 I guess we'll find out if he's picked to play
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

BBC 5 Live just said 5 minutes ago it was £15 million to Burnley next week....and would be surprised if he started today.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Told ya, we're going 1 GK and 10 MF
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Leeds Neo football

Sweeper

Right back, Centreback, Defensive Mid, Right back

Left footed mid, Centre mid, Defensive Mid

Attacking Mid, Attacking Mid

Attacking Mid
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Cant see Vokes being part of the deal, that'd mean Burnley need another forward to replace him with less money to spend.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Brader
First Team
First Team

Post by Brader »

It seems TC and leeds have been expecting this news for a few days/week by his comments in the post presser.
TC Already a striker shortlist and a few enquiries have already been made in the week
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Brader wrote:It seems TC and leeds have been expecting this news for a few days/week by his comments in the post presser.
TC Already a striker shortlist and a few enquiries have already been made in the week
Starting to really like TC and the team around him pre-planning for everything and anything well done
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

rab_rant wrote:
Everybody is making the right noises. Manager wants to keep him
Management offers new contract. Fans want him to stay. The club is
doing a Pontius Pilate and calling for a bowl of water to wash their
hands of the matter... and laughing all the way to the bank. I say it is
good business. 3m in 15out.... now that is a tidy profit. There is no saying
that Wood would ever have a 30 goal season ever again, the last two home
games he has missed some sitters, most likely because his head is elsewhere.
30 goals in a season is a brief shooting star across the heavens. It will never
happen again. Good luck to the boy if he goes. Better a disappointment there than here.
To quote Twiggs - "Prezackerly" (I think that's mangled correctly, although that's an oxymoron).

Very very sensible post. I hope he does well for Burnley, right up to when we get there! :mrgreen:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Ratscoot wrote:

Starting to really like TC and the team around him pre-planning for everything and anything well done
Ditto