disappointed

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hector

disappointed

Post by hector »

As long term regulars on here know, Twiggs used to do the birthday wishes for forum members....

I thought that this was a very nice and friendly thing to do, as it could make someones day, so when Twiggs left, I decided to carry on the tradition.

However I have noticed a few disappointing trends, it came to my notice when my own birthday was missed, I was not going to start it myself....

But more than that, I have noticed that the forum regulars can get many wishes from the other members of the forum, but newbies, or shy members get very few.... The last two birthday threads are classic examples of this...

yesterday's birthday boy had 0 yes ZERO comments and well wishes, and the one before that had 2..

Imagine now that you are a new poster, or a long time lurker, how are you going to feel if the "friendliest" Leeds forum members ignore you?

I know that I was pretty pissed off that no one thought to post greetings up for my birthday, but imagine if the thread is started, and THEN no one else replies to it........

Not exactly the best way to welcome or encourage new posters is it??

This forum used to be cliquey but thank goodness that has generally gone, but to a new poster it may not seem like that....

So all I am asking, is that you offer the same greetings to members that you have had no interaction with on the forum, as you do to the regulars, then this place will seem more welcoming to the newbies and shy people..

Thank you

Rant over
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Re: disappointed

Post by HarryofOz »

You do make a good point, but I don't think it's down to cliquiness. Sometimes I plan to post and forget and I'm sure others do as well. Sometimes I remember to look if it's anyone's birthday but mostly I forget.

However I think there is some mitigation - so many people have stopped posting on here, that is you don't recognise a name you assume that they won't even be on here to read it. I'm not saying that that is always the case, but I it any case I don't think there is any malicious intent or cliques.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
hector

Post by hector »

Fair enough Harry, but I only post happy birthday to people who have been logged on in the past 12 months, any longer than that I ignore them...
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

hector wrote:Fair enough Harry, but I only post happy birthday to people who have been logged on in the past 12 months, any longer than that I ignore them...
Fair enough
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

i tend to only usually give birthday wishes to people that I feel I have made a bit of a connection with, be it good or bad! But sometimes will ignore the thread if I am a bit busier and will just post on other threads such as the daily debate etc. I tend to ignore most of my 'friends' on facebook too.

Sorry if I have upset anyone or anyone is disappointed that I didn't wish them a happy birthday especially those that post more often and have debated with me. Please bear in mind everyone that you are all getting older and I simply didn't want to cause upset on your special days :wink:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Apologies I somehow missed Donny_White's birthday, hope I have redeemed myself

I do understand your disappointment Hector

I often post up topics & they are ignored, unfortunately that's the way it is, we can't force members to reply. I personally believe it is rude not to acknowledge someone's post especially if it has been directed at them, but hey-ho everyone is different mate.
I'm surprised even our regulars don't receive birthday wishes from some on here, miserable sods :wink:
Maybe we have to die to receive some recognition Hector :lol: although once again members only send RIP messages if they are a fan or have some affinity with the bereaved one !
Anyway mate all you can do is keep plugging away, I for one appreciate your efforts. I also know the ones who care & those who can't be arsed on here
Keep smiling Hector :)
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I don't think I have ever had a birthday greeting, principally because I'm a big woman's blouse
and I have never given out my date of birth. When you are past retirement sometimes you don't want
to be reminded that you are one step closer to meeting your maker. But I do like it if my family
surprises me on my birthday. Like when I got tickets to the Scotland England game at Hampden.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote:You do make a good point, but I don't think it's down to cliquiness. Sometimes I plan to post and forget and I'm sure others do as well. Sometimes I remember to look if it's anyone's birthday but mostly I forget.

However I think there is some mitigation - so many people have stopped posting on here, that is you don't recognise a name you assume that they won't even be on here to read it. I'm not saying that that is always the case, but I it any case I don't think there is any malicious intent or cliques.
At times there are 100's of guests reading MOT, 55 right now & we haven't a clue who they are Harry ! Ex & new members (who have never posted) often read our forum
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

You do have a point hector about the newbies and I've never looked at it like that. It took me a while to have the confidence to post on the happy birthday topics and to start with I only posted for the people i had interacted with...but now i like to try and send everyone good wishes. (everyone was so lovely to me on my birthday and I hadnt even told anyone, you picked up on it on a different thread) I think i did wish Billie happy birthday last week ( or intened to) and will now send a belated to donny white.....
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I have no idea how to look for who's birthday it is..

Apologies though Hector...but I don't think it crass to start your on birthday thread.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

Don't be too disappointed, you are doing a wonderful job Hector :)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Mrs64 wrote:Don't be too disappointed, you are doing a wonderful job Hector :)
Ditto :mrgreen:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

I like to wish Happy Birthday to people but sometimes I forget.

Hector you do try and I applaud your efforts. The snag about being the poster for birthdays is that only you look for the birthdays. I'm sorry not one of us thought to look up your birthday and make sure it wasn't missed.
tbh I've no idea how to get to your birthday - I looked at your profile and it didn't display it - thicko that I am I didn't know what to press to display more info. I tried but failed, but happy belated birthday anyway mate.

I could just imagine you tramping through your forest, muttering darkly "Nobody loves me, everybody hates me'.

Well, we do love you, so there. Now please smile. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:tup: :mrgreen:
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by LUFC 1966 »

Happy Brthday to everyone who has had a Birthday I have missed ..
hector

Post by hector »

LUFC 1966 wrote:Happy Brthday to everyone who has had a Birthday I have missed ..
:lol: :lol:
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Keep doing what your doing Hector, it is appreciated.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

Good point Hector.To date I have said Happy Birthday to a couple of posters I feel I have had a dialogue with.
I will make more a point of saying something.

Happy Birthday.