Greatest of all time

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
LUFC 1966
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Greatest of all time

Post by LUFC 1966 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:00 am

Being a Belfast Boy -- George Best was the most skillful player I ever had the privelege to watch .
Dalglish was outstanding . Gerrard a force of nature.

Messi will be the greatest ever if he ever gets Argentina to a World cup final like maradona
The only way is up :tup:

billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:28 pm

I googled this out of interest and generally the top 3 were Pele , Maradona and Messi . The majority seemingly giving Pele the nod over the other 2 .

My own preference is Cruyff . If for no other reason than I was privileged to see him play once at Wembley . It was breathtaking and I've never seen anything like it before or since . I managed to find an article about that game which I hope will be of interest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... mbley.html

mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:20 pm

As a Norn Iron type, I never understand why Best is included in this lists, he was very very good, but if he had been joe average off the pitch he would not still be mentioned on it.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.

faaip
Superstar
Superstar

Post by faaip » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:51 pm

mav wrote:As a Norn Iron type, I never understand why Best is included in this lists, he was very very good, but if he had been joe average off the pitch he would not still be mentioned on it.

I saw him play a few times, he was a great and if he were English we'd have won the 70 WC too. Incredible vision and balance, a natural I'm happy to rank alongside Pele and Cryuff. Eddie Gray and George Best were equally skillful but Best could do it much quicker. These guys also never had the benefitt of boot and football technology plus they had to deal with the likes of Hunter, Bremner, Smith and a whole division full of hard men who would last about 5 minutes in todays game before getting sent off

Messi v Hunter or Bremner

Chopper Harris..I'd forgotten Harris. He'd have marked most of todays over paid prima donnas out of the game too playing buy 1970's rules
I'm careful with the truths I tell
Wine stained teeth don't really suit me well

Starting 11

BPF, Ayling, Jansson, New CB, Pearce
Alioski Vierra, Hernandez, Klich, Roofe
New CF

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:22 pm

Saw this on YouTube, made me quite sad about the modern game actually.

Every match you see dives, players going down because of the slightest of touches, up and down the football league, Saiz does it Alioski does it, our players are no different. Even Cristiano Ronaldo a player so talented he doesnt really need to, he does it.

Now watch this . . . . .

At one point he seems to lose his footing, hop back up say "no no ref no foul" while simultaneously trying to win back the ball :love:

And that is what sets him apart from Ronaldo imo, and most of his type, those flair players of the modern game. Blow on most of them there down. Some of those are quite nasty challenges, just carries on, probably doesnt get the credit for how tough he is actually.

Then i saw this, and cant help but imagine how weird it must be to have grown men bowing to you and kissing your feet, takes it in his stride.

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:10 pm

2 goals and an assist to knock Chelsea out tonight for the Argentinian Alioski.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:27 pm

Cjay wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:10 pm
2 goals and an assist to knock Chelsea out tonight for the Argentinian Alioski.
Messi was really special tonight :tup:

Clacton White
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clacton White » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:08 pm

1964white wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:27 pm
And Chelsea weren't . Funny this whole Champs League thing , only a few weeks ago pundits talking about the "very real" possibility of 5 English clubs in the quarter finals ....... now at the end of this stage there are only two of those 5 left ,two of which had a very good chance with home advantage of progressing ( Man Utd and Spurs ) . Once gain the Prem is shown as not having anywhere near as much strength n depth as we'd like to think it had . Man City apart there aren't really any stand out sides in it IMO .

Cjay
Manager
Manager

Post by Cjay » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 pm

1964white wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:27 pm
Its special to us, but i bet its the norm for Barcelona fans :lol:

2 goals and assist, standard.