Tuesday's Breakfast Debate....Our first loss this season

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
liggy
First Team
First Team

Re: Tuesday's Breakfast Debate....Our first loss this season

Post by liggy »

This is likely to come in the FA cup
4th round replay
After drawing 4-4 at ER with Blyth Spartans
Leeds fought like tamil tigers
The Spartans held on 1to nil in the replay.
Blyth Spartans then went on to defeat
Blunderland 4-1
Liverpools 1-0
Chelsea 5-4 in the final

Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzz voices in me heed
Liggy liggy LIGGY WAKE UP MAN ya breakfast is fooking FREEZING
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:I remember a certain season when Burnley beat us 5-1 and that was a shock.
1968/69 season, I was there Norm.

Billy scored in the first ten minutes to give us the lead then the likes Andy Lockhead, Frank Casper, Steve Kindon, Ralph Coates, Dave Merrington & the rest went on to murder us :(

I was also at Maine Road for our only other defeat that season as we strolled to our first league title

:champ:
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Good memories Leon. Let's hope your prediction about this being our season is fulfilled.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chelsea, semi final FA cup, courtesy of a biased ref with orders not to let LUFC get to the final. 0-1 a penalty taken for the third time after 4 Leeds disallowed goals. Weidwald sent off for saving 2 penalties.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

I think our first loss will be away to Barca in the Champions League in 2019. It will be close mind. 2-1... 3-2
liggy
First Team
First Team

Post by liggy »

faaip wrote:Chelsea, semi final FA cup, courtesy of a biased ref with orders not to let LUFC get to the final. 0-1 a penalty taken for the third time after 4 Leeds disallowed goals. Weidwald sent off for saving 2 penalties.

That sounds suspiciously like Brian Glover is refereeing
gessa

Post by gessa »

gessa wrote:When the fixtures came out the one I was dreading was the Millwall game, I think the last 8 games there have been 1 win 7 defeats, they always seem to raise their game for us. Mind we haven't got a great record at home v Birmingham, last 7- won 1 drew 2 lost 4. Hoodoo's are there to be beat I suppose.

I'll go Millwall.

As I feared..another 1-0 defeat there, seems inevitable now.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:As I feared..another 1-0 defeat there, seems inevitable now.
You were spot on mate
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

I can't understand why we have such a bad record and are unable to beat millwall at the Den, we had a completely different team and manager to the last time we played there. It's as if the players know it's going to be intimidating and are mentally beaten before KO

That said I remember Everton had an atrocious record at ER where they didn't win a league game between, I think these were the years, 1951-2002. They did win a FA cup game in 85 when we were in division 2
1964white

Post by 1964white »

rich_leeds64 wrote:I can't understand why we have such a bad record and are unable to beat millwall at the Den, we had a completely different team and manager to the last time we played there. It's as if the players know it's going to be intimidating and are mentally beaten before KO

That said I remember Everton had an atrocious record at ER where they didn't win a league game between, I think these were the years, 1951-2002. They did win a FA cup game in 85 when we were in division 2
Our record at the Den is mind-boggling Rich.

A young Wayne Rooney scored a late winning goal to send the toffees home with their first league win at ER in fifty years

Sunderland went over 40 years not beating us at ER in a league match until the same season as Everton's victory I think when McAteer scored their only & winning goal
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I think the Millwall factor may also be helped by the fact we have continually had a lack of continuity from season to season meaning it is likely that from one year to the next there would have probably only have been 2 or 3 players that would have played in the previous year's match and as such the intimidation etc is a new experience to most of the team and it catches us out. I don't think any of the starting XI on Saturday would have played for Leeds v Millwall previously (Phillips possibly but unlikely). If we were to play Millwall again with the same set of players this season you would hope that they would be able to handle it better and at the very least give Millwall a match.
Someone made the point prior to the game about how Sunderland and other teams have very vociferous crowds but in my opinion the atmosphere at Millwall is completely different as there is more of a hatred to Leeds rather than other big crowds who simply get behind their team and don't really have the level of hatred against us that seems to be the case at Millwall.