How good we really are

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

How good we really are

Post by Cjay »

Just looked at our fixtures till November :shock:

Get the feeling by 01/11/17 we will know just how good this team are and if they are genuine promotion contenders, which i think they are :scarf2: :shirt:

So Burnley this Tuesday but thats the cup, then the league we have . . . . .

Ipswich Town(home)- 5th place with a game in hand, win that they go above us, also managed to beat Millwall away.
Cardiff City(away)- Until we overtook them they were top, plus they have Colin who we seem to struggle against, only lost twice this season.
Sheffield Wednesday(away)- Play off positions last 2 years, unbeaten last 5 winning 3 drawing 2.
Reading(home)- Struggling this season but playoff finalists last season.
Bristol City(away)- Surprise package, got a draw at Wolves, beat Derby and only one loss like us in the league, unbeaten in 6 league games.
Sheffield United(home)-6th place, same amount of wins as us just more losses, got momentum carrying on from there promotion.
Derby County(home)- inconsistent but very good squad, can be very good as they showed against Hull.

Not one easy match out of that lot, will be a good indicator of how close we are.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: How good we really are

Post by 1964white »

Point is Cjay all those teams have lost games. I suspect Derby & Reading are disappointed with their start. Still think Warnock & McCarthy's teams are punching above their weight, probably applies to the Blunts & Bristol City
Every team are capable of beating each other in the championship, always been the case.

We are still a very good team
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

No easy games in the championship - on paper Notts Forest away is tougher than Millwall away given respective league positions.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Point is Cjay all those teams have lost games. I suspect Derby & Reading are disappointed with their start. Still think Warnock & McCarthy's teams are punching above their weight, probably applies to the Blunts & Bristol City
Every team are capable of beating each other in the championship, always been the case.

We are still a very good team
We are still a very good team, one game doesnt change that statistically we have been the best in the division. :scarf2:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote:No easy games in the championship - on paper Notts Forest away is tougher than Millwall away given respective league positions.
Very true, i predict maximum points
Signed

King Cjay

Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Burnley has come at a good time for us as well fairly confident we will at least put in a performance on Tuesday we might even be able to win depending on how seriously Burnley take it, there will be loads of players such as: Borthwick-Jackson, Klich and Cibicki who will be desperate to impress. And with it being a cup game they should be able to take a few more risks on the ball and show what they can offer in terms of creativity.

Still confident we will get back on track v Ipswich, they've let in quite a few goals away from home, although they won yesterday it was v Bolton at home tbf and before that they had lost 3 in a row in all comps. 5 points between now and the next international break would be good it would give us 22 points from 11 games and we would be in control of our own destiny.

Not sure we are finishing top 2 this season not saying we won't neccesarilly just think it is far too early to tell either way.

Think we have to be realistic though, we have started brilliantly but it is still a new team and a different philsophy to what Monk introduced last season, plus you have to look at the players we have lost from last season as well particularly Wood and Bartley. I felt at the start of the season play offs would be a reasonable achievement given the reasons I mentioned above. As long as after the final whistle is blown vs QPR on May 7th we are promoted or still in contention to be promoted I will be happy. Play offs sound boring and unambitious but don't forget we haven't made the play offs for 11 years at this level and even last season we finished 5 points outside of them despite how good we were during the season.

Don't get me wrong though if this team responds well from yesterday, all 5 of the key signings: Wiedwald, Klich, Saiz, Alioski and Lasogga prove to be succesful , we compete and get results in the big games and we do what we need to in the January window. We will be pushing for automatic.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Ask Burnley, especially Chris Woods and Charlie Taylor
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
LUFC 1966
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by LUFC 1966 »

This is potentially the best squad since we went to the CL semi-final. We have had had good 11's before , but 1 injury would scupper the team for weeks . This team has 19-20 players who are more than capable to compete in this league and probably beat the bottom 6 of the Premier League if promoted. :shock:
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Definitely a strong squad that we have now and TC got his team selection spot on. He made as many changes as he could without doing what Monk did, v Sutton, and throwing in young players that weren't ready. When I made my team selection, which was the same as the side TC picked, it was a case of resting as many players as possible but when it was impossible to rest a player it was a case of picking players like Ayling who don't seem to be injury prone and less susceptible to fatigue. For whatever reasons some players, such as Jannson, seem to be continually picking up niggles and knocks whereas others, such as Ayling, seem to just keep going and if they do get niggles or knocks be able to carry on.
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Tough, but I think looking at any month in isolation you would find the fixtures tough, as was said no easy games, apart from Burton......
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
gessa

Post by gessa »

dezzy wrote:Tough, but I think looking at any month in isolation you would find the fixtures tough, as was said no easy games, apart from Burton......

We played excellently ahainst Burton but Norwich and Fulham haven't found it easy against them since, really is a funny division this.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Agree with Ges, we had a Carlsberg day against Burton, but it is to their credit that they've dusted themselves off and got decent results against two sides who you'd expect to batter them. Proves, yet again, that this is the toughest league in Europe, with every team capable of beating every other team on their day. I'd argue that if you manage to get yourself promoted out of the Champs, you deserve the Prem riches that come!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

If you look at Burton's result prior to us playing them and after then they are certainly no pushovers. In the last 3 matches before they played us they beat Birmingham and Cardiff (cup) and drew with Sheff Wed and then the 2 games after drew at Norwich and beat Fulham. We just played extremely well on the day and then, as often happens, had a bit of a dip as the law of averages equaled itself out and some passes went astray that found feet against Burton etc.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1st match out of the way with maximum points :scarf2: :shirt: :clapshout:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Ipswich-won
Cardiff-lost
Sheff weds-lost
Reading-lost

Way we are playing can see the next 3 being defeats as well. Worrying times.
Signed

King Cjay