Burnley v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Burnley v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by 1964white »

Leeds make the 60 mile journey to Burnley on Tuesday evening attempting to make the last 16 of the Carabao Cup.

Christensen has big decisions to make on the field following their disappointing defeat at the Den on Saturday.

I'm sure every fan amongst us would have settled for one defeat after eight league games, but it was the manner which we lost that will concern the fickle Leeds fans.

Reports over the weekend suggest that Hernandez does not have the physical presence to impact on matches away from Elland Road and should be rested so he can dictate games at ER.

We also heard how Anita, who has been superb so far this season is suddenly a liability, and he's too short!

What about Alioski? Surely he's still finding his feet! In my opinion this lad has a big future at Leeds; he just needs to get used to the physicality of the Championship. Is he going to be a world beater every game - No, one of the main differences between good Premiership players and great Championship players is consistency. He will improve as the season goes on I suspect

Is it time for us to panic - NO of course it's not as long as we can get back to winning ways!

Can see TC making many changes using the rest of squad who haven't featured too much if only to give his first team players a breather

The East Lancashire club have made a decent start to the season holding both Liverpool and Spurs to score draws. They have also beaten last years Champions at Stanford Bridge.

Taylor is yet to play for the Clarets since his £6m move from ER

It will be interesting to see if Wood starts - I would imagine he'll be on the bench in case they go behind.

Will Dyche select a strong side to face the Championship pace setters. We have seen what happens when teams are underestimated!
rab_rant

Re: Burnley v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings....

Post by rab_rant »

1964white wrote: I'm sure every fan amongst us would have settled for one defeat after eight league games, but it was the manner which we lost that will concern the fickle Leeds fans.
We got beat at the Den but what we have to remember the scoreline was 1-0
That's right ONE NIL and the keeper made countless saves, albeit not pretty.
I don't care how he does it just as long as he keeps the ball out of the net.

As soon as we loos a game the fans seem to get on somebodies case be it O'kane
or Phillips or Alioski and very soon everything returns to doom and gloom.

I am not expecting much against Burnley and I won't be too concerned if we loose.
It is a piss-pot cup anyways and our focus should be on the league. This cup is
just a distraction, but let's home not too big of a distraction to turn the heads of the fans
and the players.
gessa

Post by gessa »

------------Lonegan

Berardi------Cooper ----- Shaughnessy---- CBJ

---------------Klich-------Vieira

Roofe--------------------------------Dallas

----------Cibicki--------Grot
gessa

Post by gessa »

rab_rant wrote:We got beat at the Den but what we have to remember the scoreline was 1-0
That's right ONE NIL and the keeper made countless saves, albeit not pretty.
I don't care how he does it just as long as he keeps the ball out of the net.

As soon as we loos a game the fans seem to get on somebodies case be it O'kane
or Phillips or Alioski and very soon everything returns to doom and gloom.

I am not expecting much against Burnley and I won't be too concerned if we loose.
It is a piss-pot cup anyways and our focus should be on the league. This cup is
just a distraction, but let's home not too big of a distraction to turn the heads of the fans
and the players.
If you'd have asked any of our fans if they'd take the start weve had up to now, they'd have all taken it. After the Burton game there was talk of going through the season unbeaten, which was ridiculous, then 1 week later half the team isn't good enough, which too is ridiculous. Ipswich on Saturday is far more important than Burnley tomorrow and I'm sure TC will recognise that. ps..Not a dig at anyone on here those quotes are from elsewhere.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

2 defeats on the trot will not be good.. Burnley will go weak so lets stick our first 11 out there, or at least some form of the first 11.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I would have expected Christensen to have made at least 6 changes regardless of the Millwall match. This competition has simply become a chance for every manager to give squad players the chance of a game and rest others - even league 1 and 2 teams have been resting players.

The defeat was alarming. A 1-0 loss in a game where we created a few chances and were unlucky would have been better but the way I look at is that our players will probably play really well in 6 or 7 matches out of 10, have an okay game in 1 or 2 out of 10 and maybe have 1 or 2 absolute stinkers. If 7 or 8 players have a decent game then we will probably win even if 1 has a stinker and 1 or 2 are just okay. So hopefully a lot of the players have gotten 1 of their 1 or 2 stinkers out of the way. The key is to bounce back and if we win our next 2 then we will have still averaged 2 points over the last 3 matches.

Again people pick on Hernandez yet the whole team was awful. Players like Hernandez will be targeted by the opposition who will try to stop him as he has the ability to win the match for Leeds. If other players aren't doing their job then the opposition will stick 2 players on Hernandez - if other players do their job then Hernandez can win us any match, home or away.

I have never been overly impressed with Anita but it seems most fans think he has done well and Newcastle fans seem to think of him as Mr Consistent rather than being spectacular one week and poor the next. How he bounces back will be key.

Alioski is still finding his feet in the championship and this style of football. If we are leading and able to sit deep and counter attack then he is an incredible weapon. When we are having to try to break down teams he will be less effective. Let's not fall into the usual mistake of bigging up a player too quickly and then knocking him down - there is a good player there but he is still learning and getting used to teams playing in different ways against him.

No panic. One bad game doesn't derail us as long as we learn from it.

I think Taylor started in the last round of the cup and would expect him to start v us. It doesn't look like he will be starting in the premiership any time soon though barring injuries/suspensions.

I don't think Wood is cup tied but would expect him to be on the bench.

Would imagine Dyche will make a similar amount of changes to us (I sometimes wonder if the managers have a chat beforehand and agree on a certain amount of changes each) but it should still be a strong side.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Ideally, I would use this match as a chance to give game time to the squad players, and I would agree with Gessa's team (assuming Cooper is fit). However, I don't think that TC likes to make a lot of changes, and the manner of the Millwall defeat, may ensure that we try to get back on track by playing a stronger team. We have issues again at Centre Back, so Shaughnessy will definitely play, and Berardi should come back in. Lasogga may probably have to return to Germany for the birth of his child, opening the way for Grot or Cibicki to deputise. Otherwise, there may not be too many changes. Possibly Roofe and Dallas to start also.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Thing with Anita is the guy is not a left back pure and simple, yes he played there and at right back too for Newcastle during last season however that was purely down to injuries/suspensions. He's actual position is central midfield but we are obviously very strong there at present .

So I think it's a bit unfair on the guy if he is taking a lot of stick for Saturday due to Wallace having him on toast by all accounts.

Berardi, himself not a LB of course but far more familiar in the role now or CBJ should be playing there really - it's just that Anita did well as a fill in at Bolton and then found himself in that position thereafter.

Would expect either one of those two to be playing LB v Burnley and if they do the job well to keep the spot on Saturday.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Regardless of the competition, the side and TC need to make strong reply to the Milwall match. Would prefer Berardi on the left, rest Pablo, and get the best possible side out there.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lonegan

Berardi Cooper Shaughnessy Borthwick-Jackson

Klich Vieira

Dallas Saiz Cibicki

Roofe
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Lonegan

Berardi Cooper Shaughnessy Borthwick-Jackson

Klich Vieira

Dallas Saiz Cibicki

Roofe

Very nearly went with that line up but I think Saiz could probably do with a game off.

I'm not too sure about Grot, only time will tell I suppose.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

GK Lonerghan
RB Berardi
LB CBJ
CB Ayling
CB O'Shaugnessy
CM Vieira
CM Klich
AM Roofe
LW Cibicki
RW Dallas
CF Grot

1 or 2 positions might be changed such as CBJ at CB with Ayling RB and Berardi LB and up front could be Cibicki or Roofer up top with Grot out wide.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Very nearly went with that line up but I think Saiz could probably do with a game off.

I'm not too sure about Grot, only time will tell I suppose.
Just think we need some quality to make us tick, Saiz would give the clarets something to think about plus whoever plays upfront will need some decent service.

Unsure about Grot too although unfair to judge him on his two sub appearances especially Millwall

Would stick with Roofe as our No.9 in the cups
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Dont think there is any call to panic, not yet, we played poorly and Millwall played well, they were the better team and they won. :duno:

Panic is when the definition of insanity sets in, if we perform like that a few more times and there is no change THEN we panic, but i cant see TC letting that happen. Yes we played poorly, yes maybe he made some selection and tactical errors, but this is a man who no matter the level he managed at he was successful, he is a student of the game, he studies, he analyses, he works things out.

Thats how he got the job, by showing where we went wrong and how he would have fixed it, so he can obviously see these things, he will fix it, because that is what got him the job in the first place. Not because he was the biggest name, not because he had a huge reputation as a player, not because he was mates with the chairmen, but because he came in and showed that he knew what he was doing.

New to the country and the Championship but this is a man who was so keen to get the job he probably spent days, maybe even weeks analyzing every single thing that went wrong and then worked out how he could fix it, not with new players (one would assume) but using the players we had at the time. He deserves time and a chance, and this is probably on the wrong thread it should be on the TC one :roflmao: :roflmao:

As for Anita, i said early on he was to small to be a fullback in my opinion, this hasnt changed, undoubtedly a class player (probably talent wise above most in this division), but he isnt a full back for me, can do a job, but not as first choice and i feel CBJ should start against Burnley, if he does well then he becomes 1st choice.

Hernandez- Class act, like Anita talent wise there are few with his undoubted natural gifts and on his day he is fantastic, a tricky, technically gifted, visionary playmaker. But, he isnt a battler, never was and never will be and if you get into him he struggles, this goes back to his prime, Millwall sussed him out and not for the first time away from home he was poor.

Alioski- bit of a pass for me (yes he is my favorite player but this isnt favoritism) . he was poor against Millwall, same as the two above, he was poor and deserved to come off. However, he is new to this country, this division and this club, he wanted to come here, he could have been playing Champions League this season lets not forget. But he, like TC wanted to be here, and although he hasnt shone all the time he has produced some wonderful moments, the goal, some of his crosses, some bits of skill, there is no doubting that on his day he is very gifted. And Leeds fans are a demanding bunch and do sometimes bury a player for one poor performance and never forget it, i hope that doesnt happen to Ali because he was a coup. Bad as he was, and he was poor, it was a bit of a culture shock for him i think and he will learn from it, he has shown he will battle, he was a fullback originally, he isnt afraid of a bit of a battle.
And Millwall kicked lumps out of him, they doubled up on him, he was targeted, credit to Millwall they subdued him and he didnt cope, but its gone and he will learn, still a class act there.

That being said, none of those 3 start for me against Burnley.

Wiedwald
Berardi
Shaun
Ayling
CBJ
Klich
Vieira
Dallas
Roofe
Cibicki
Grot

Give them a chance :-D
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lonergan, Borthwick-Jackson, Berardi, Shaughnessy, Ayling, Vieira, Klich, Dallas, Roofe, Cibicki, Grot

"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

The radio says there have been 9 changes made.
I still think it is a pretty strong team.
If this team wins then it would cause selection
problems for the weekend.

Nice to see Viera and Cibicki getting a run out
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Was almost right but for Lonergan

Like the look of that team . Excited to see Vieira, Klich, Cibicki and Grot :-D
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

faaip wrote:Lonergan, Borthwick-Jackson, Berardi, Shaughnessy, Ayling, Vieira, Klich, Dallas, Roofe, Cibicki, Grot
Boom! Spot on
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Asking a lot to play straight off the cuff, most of the above have little game time and it should be a fairly disjointed performance coming up.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Decent stream with English commentary on ESPN USA.

http://bambusports.co/2016/09/15/live-soccer-stream-03/
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!